Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help on gearbox info please
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fruitloop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Help on gearbox info please Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me; I’m trying to find some details on 181 gearboxes.

I’ve found a 1500 gearbox and reduction boxes going very cheap from a 181 and was trying to find some gear ratio details etc for them? Am I right in thinking some (or all?) 181 boxes came with a limited slip diff? Is there any way I can find out from the gearbox no. which have?

It’ll be for a baja, so weighing up getting the 181 box against a split screen box with reduction boxes.

Cheers guys,
Dave Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Space Ghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex-german army 181 has a gearbox with code AK.

.....this is basically the same as a GT beetle gearbox (limited edition of 2,500 beetles sold in the UK) which has a higher (faster) top speed in 4th gear). The reduction boxes reduce the speeds, of course.

The GT gearbox is different to the 1500.

A split screen gearbox will have different reduction boxes, and different axle lengths, and different springplates too, so, although you could put it in your beetle (baja) , you would need to get an adapter kit and/or make some adjustments.......

The 181 gearbox with reduction gears is the easiest way to raise your baja.

Do a search on here, or look in the STICKY area at the top of the THING forum section and I am sure you will find more info.....
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help on gearbox info please Reply with quote

fruitloop wrote:
... Am I right in thinking some (or all?) 181 boxes came with a limited slip diff? Is there any way I can find out from the gearbox no. which have?

Only some 181/182 gearboxes have an LSD. Cars that were originally sold to military forces usually had LSDs. Cars sold to the general public almost never had one.

You can post your gearbox code, or you can jack the car up and turn one wheel with the car in neutral. If the other wheel turns the same way, you have an LSD. If it turns the opposite way, you have an open diff. You could also look at the filler plug on the nearside of the gearbox case forward of the diff. If originally fitted with an LSD, you will find a special filler plug that warns the mechanic to use special oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, LSD's are very rare, even for the military equipped 181's. If we check the manufacturing figures (if they were ever available), we'd find that very few military 181's came with the LSD transaxle.

Reduction geared units were indeed popular setups for the military.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: