Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition switch trouble
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Ignition switch trouble Reply with quote

On the ignition switch bulkhead there are six wires.Does anyone know which one goes to the starter?My Thing sometimes starts right up,sometimes it doesn`t.Baterry,starter/solenoid have checked out fine.If I jiggle the cluster of wires it will start,but I would really like to not have to do this everytime.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a wiring diagram, it shows a wire from the ignition to the starter solenoid, it could be black

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/thing.gif
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try removing the connector going to the starter switch and cleaning the contacts. After years of use, the copper gets corroded or oxidized.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by TimGud on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Tim on this one. I was having the same problem with mine recently, and it was the electrical switch in the key column. More than likely, when you take yours out, the plastic housing will be cracked. Once they crack enough, they stop making 100% contact inside. There is a great write up on how to dis-assemble both model years on Thingtech.com

A replacement switch is only like $15.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a specific `73 Thing switch,or do I need to get one from a Beetle or Bus?Oh,and thanks for the above replies so far.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a Thing specific part. Its the same part as the corresponding year Bug takes.
sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: So I cleaned all the contacts,and replaced the switch.I crossed my fingers,turned the key,and the Thing started right up...four times.Now the same thing is happening as before.More often than not it won`t start.Any thoughts?
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it not turn over at all, or will it just not start even though its turning over? Do you still have to jiggle the wires connected to the switch to get it to turn over?

If it turns over, but just wont start, that is more of a engine spark/fuel management issue.

If it wont even turn over, and your idiot lights dont light when you turn the key, then you still have a short problem in the key switch area. If this is the case, check each wire terminal for loose or burned connections.
sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idiot lights DO come on,it just does nothing on the final part of the turn of the key.I`ll try a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the conectors in the plug.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your starter & solenoid are good?
sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.Starter,solenoid,battery have all tested out fine.I`m also going to trace the black wire to see if that`s the problem.
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: RE: Ignition Switch trouble Reply with quote

The problem may be with your new switch.
There are actually three different switches that fit in a Thing and depending on your keylock, all three do not work.

Why?

Because on one of the keylock/ignition-switch combos the keylock does not turn far enough to engage the ignition switch completely.
So, you get a new switch and install it. You notice that sometimes the starter will come on, but most of the time not.

Take the switch out of the keylock. Make sure it is hooked up to the wiring harness. Turn the switch without damaging the slot and see if the car starts everytime. If it starts everytime without the keylock, you have the wrong switch for the keylock.
My Thing is a late 73 model (not sure if that matters).
I had to use an ignition switch from a 69 bug and grind off a tab on the side of the switch.
The VW parts person I have used for over 10 years warned me not to use the Thing ignition and I did not listen and he was absolutely right.

Hope it helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,alg. Wow.Is there a way to just create a push button type apparatus to start the car once I`ve turned the key to unlock the steering?
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can install a push button start button. It ties into the wire at the plug and back at the starter. Have you figured out which wire goes back to the starter? If not, I can look on my car and see which one it is. I know from memory its not the large solid red wire. That is constant power. If you trace which loom each wire goes into, you can figure it out.
sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it!! It was the key-lock cylinder that wasn`t allowing the switch to go that last tiny fraction of an inch.Only $18.00.
Again,thanks for all the replies.This is a great board.
DAS TANK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Website Reply with quote

Where did you buy from?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: