Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New beetle dune buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabeebuggy wrote:
I found a site that was selling a ne kind of body like a manx it was made in Australia i believe. called ???? panther or python something like that. i cant find it anymore. has any one seen it? i think it was a cammo paint job with the lights molded into it a modern light looked like evil eyes. was really cool.

Here it is:

http://www.iguanaoffroad.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Years ago on Cozumel, I saw some fiberglass Thing-lookalikes that dropped onto a standard Beetle pan. At the time, Things were very popular as hotel transportation, but VW de Mexico had stopped producing them.

Like a lot of these products, the attention to detail was rather lacking. The psuedo-Thing engine bay had no floor to separate cool from hot air, so most of the ones I saw had the rear end cut off so the engines would cool properly. This really ruined the looks of the vehicle.
funbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: mexico buggy Reply with quote

Hello i have been looking for a long tome for the mexico buggy

air cooled, full lenght chassis

I contacted Mexican people but nobody knows, where to buy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
l1011500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It look like it came from mars.....
kamikazeweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity anybody know where in mexico you can rent one of those? I am taking a trip out that way in Oct. I think it would be pretty cool to rent one while down there if im close to a rental place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
l1011500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the name is "Sunset motor car rental". If the sticker is ok the phone number is 01-800-505-90-90. And by the way could you ask the guy where the .... did I bought this dune buggy...
l1011500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot it is in Playa Del Carmen in Riviera Maya...
funbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: mexico buggy Reply with quote

yes allot of people are looking for them.

I found somebody who had five of them, two left in playa del carmen, i'm trying to buy one
http://buggyboys.net/forum/attachments/mexico_buggy_21.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here goes;

The guy sitting at the picnic table in the back ground is the owner of the yellow buggy in the last link.I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he speaks virtually no english and my spanish sucks. However, his buddy Nicasio Cetina (he owns the little travel agency/time share sales place behind him in the pictures) helped a lot and Nic's brother works at our condo complex up the street a few blocks. I've seen and driven this exact buggy in Cancun back at the beginning of February. NO, I don't have any pictures. Sad My wife took the nikon with her to Chizen Itza that day and damn if someone didn't rent it for 5 days when I went back with my camera that friday before we came home. It was there the afternoon we left and every day afterthe next two weeks according to my dad.

His brother owns the red one in cancun. According to them they have the two and they came from the same person that had the blue one that was for sale in Merida a couple months back. They are in the process of obtaining more to rent from what we could gain from our "conversation"
The yellow one in the picture was originally blue as well. If you look at the headrest on the front passenger seat, that is the original color under what is actually a pretty bad paint job. The blue is where the closed cell foam headrest was. He was pretty suprised that I knew there was a blue one in merida. I was kinda suspicious if this was in fact the same one from his reaction.
I've contacted the guy listed as the US contact for premier classics, the people in Mexico that had the blue one for sale on this site back in January, but He claimed in good conscience he couldn't recommend dealing with them as they owe him a substantial amount of money and have not bee nreliable in his dealings with them. My direct inquiries wit h them go no where in reference to the buggys.

These bodies are very thick and look and feel pretty well laid up. I won't judge the construction by the paint job as it was obviously a garage job over the original blue metallic finish. This one has been around the block a few times, however is structurally in good shape. It is a well designed buggy and very complete. I'd say it is probably a minimum of 10 pieces in all, and he didn't have the inserts for the t-top like the green buggy in the pictures. The front seats are fiberglass with a thin piece of closed cell to sit on. Actually more comfortable that it sounds, but they looked and felt like they were probably molded from a stock VW beetle seat and mounted over a stock seat frame. I'd definitely upgrade that. The rear seat area was molded into the body and the seat bottom is a molded and contoured cover that bolts doewn and covers the battery and ECU area at the rear of the pan. This one was built on a fairly typical late model full length Mexican beetle pan with the standard fuel injected 1500(?) Mexi-beetle engine. Typical 67 ish era ball Joint/swing axle mexican pan. They use a stock front hood release and catch to secure the engine cover. The engine is totally concealed and surrounded by stock tins and upright cooling, unlike a typical buggy. The engine cover is a heavily louvered turbo wing so to speak. He did know that it uses a standard new beetle windshield which is obvious, and he was pretty sure the hood that covers the fuel tank was a direct copy of a new beetle hood. The headlights look remarkably like they came from the late SMART roadster, but I can't verify that. The dash is sort of a cross between a super beetle, and a new beetle. It is deep like a nb, but has a speedo pod that looked like it was molded from a SB dash. There are two or three nacelles for standard sized gauges in the center of the dash, though this one had none.

These guys told me they know exactly where to get others and would be willing to get me one. He claimed to have seen the molds personally, so I don't know if these are originals or pirated molds. Personally I don't care if he can get me one. They said they would cost me approximately $3000 (His price to me... Hmmmm ??) for a complete body, no chassis or mechanicals plus what ever it would cost to ship. It told him I'll be in touch, but I want to know exactly where they come from and would like to deal directly with the person or company making them. I will pay him a finders fee, but I need to see evidence of the company making them. I told them both in no uncertain terms that there were quite a few gringos dying to get one of these buggys.

I have contact information for Nicasio who uses the yellow one as a promo for selling time shares, however he doesn't own it. The guy that owns it works (?), seemed more like hung out) at the little bodega there. They are right in front of Aquaworld in the hotel zone in Cancun if anyone is heading that way for break. They seem like nice guys, but the language barrier makes things difficult to judge. I haven't had a chance to speak with Nicasio again because I've been busy dealing with my wife's health and getting her back to work, but I do have his card with his cell and home number, and I will be contacting him. I guess I'll call this a lead for now, but who knows what would come of it.?
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
funbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: mexico buggy Reply with quote

well lets see that somebody know where to buy the body, the contact that i have had 5 for sale, price 7000 us$ complete. He was telling me that they make old style buggys, but i didn't get more info on the new one, what wonders me is that on all of the new mistery mexico buggys the logo VW is on, where they made by Volkswagen??

3000us$ for a body is OK included windshield

the bugway bodys that i bought a couple of years ago they where 2400 US$ included seats, lights, locks, windshield

I think allot of people want to buy a kit.
stefbolio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: new beetle dune buggy ??? Reply with quote

[size=24]WHERE ARE THEY?? info please mexico! cancun puerto!, vallarta!very poor info Sad who make that kind of dune, fiber [/size]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://buggy.waybrasil.com/

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185057

I guess you realize these aren't built on a new beetle chassis. Plus, please turn off your CAPS, and try to complete your sentences.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get rid of the side steps and ditch the useless back seats! Cars should only have 2 seats people!
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stefbolio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for bad english(french canadian) but i hope you realize to that's not a "waybrasil" buggy not even close to look a like the buggy we're talking about !
I know to that base on old vw frame

im continu my research Very Happy

sorry again for bad english

we have to find the fiberglass mold guy who build it (find this guy loll!)
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefbolio,

As far as I am concerned, no apologies are necessary. I would imagine that most of us here on thesamba.com would run in the other direction if we had to post in a forum based on another language. Please do not let that stop you from contributing whatever information you may have.

Also, as far as your CAPS are concerned, it does not bother me, one way or the other. You just keep at it, my friend.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
I'd get rid of the side steps and ditch the useless back seats! Cars should only have 2 seats people!
Jeff

'
Speak for yourself!
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73SpeedBuggy wrote:
JiI wrote:
Jeff

'
Speak for yourself!

I speak because I am right. Smile
Jeff
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefbolio wrote:

we have to find the fiberglass mold guy who build it (find this guy loll!)

This guy just replied to my email with pictures and says he sells them.

Elias Melken: [email protected]

joseluis17g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some of you guys need some translating Spanish-English or vice versa feel free to email me or pm me
I'm from Mexico and I live in monterrey it's like 2 hours from the U.S border so mi casa es tu casa
anything you need feel free
83 Jeep CJ7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose, I asked Elias whether he had a web page and told him about this thread. He said;

No i don´t have a web page, ibut i own this buggy´s and i own the company that makes them, our fist marcket is rental y and we can make any kind you want. thanks i will check the page.

Jose, with Federal rules, its not practical to import a car from Mexico to the US, however a person could probably bring in a body kit. Maybe you can see if it looks legitimate to you and what the price is for one of the body kits?

One thing that makes me curious is that all the new buggies appear to have the same 5 spoke alloy wheels, like it was produced for them specifically. Is this a wheel that's commonly available on the aftermarket in Mexico?

Last edited by BL3Manx on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mekeys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: seabeebuggy Reply with quote

seabeebuggy wrote:
I found a site that was selling a ne kind of body like a manx it was made in Australia i believe. called ???? panther or python something like that. i cant find it anymore. has any one seen it? i think it was a cammo paint job with the lights molded into it a modern light looked like evil eyes. was really cool.

I was looking at a web site from Australia a few weeks that was making a copy of the Meyers Manx and their price for just the body was $4000.00 (four thousand)..Think what that would cost by the time you got it shipped here (USA)
MK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: