Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sway. Or anti sway bar questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynaflash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Sway. Or anti sway bar questions Reply with quote

Well I have searched and can't find the answer. Did my 62 bug come with front and or rear anti sway bars? There appear to be none there now and the previous owner did not remove them. Maybe a few owners ago?

Do I need them really?

Car is a 62 with the stock size skinny tires. Lowered a little probably also by a few owners ago.
This car will be used mostly for around town and will probably never see over 70 mph. I am not in a hurry to get anywhere so going around corners at high speed is not an issue. Just want to be as safe as you can be driving a 50 year old car with no computer, no air bags, no seat belts, drum brakes and no 5 mile per hour bumpers.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynaflash wrote:
Well I have searched and can't find the answer. Did my 62 bug come with front and or rear anti sway bars?

Yes, by '62 Deluxe Beetles came with a front stabilizer/anti-sway/anti-roll bar, but they did not have one in the rear.

Dynaflash wrote:

Do I need them really?

1-VW added the front one to Beetles in ~'61.
2-I'd guesstimate ~98% of cars on the road in 1962 had them.
3-100% of the cars currently on the road have them to this day.
Ask yourself, do I really need one?

As for your other added questions, the topic has been well covered here before, but basically you are driving a 60's car in a 2015 motoring environment.
So, based on what your comfortable risk level is, much more research on re-engineering an Old VW to suit your particular needs is in order for you Wink

Anyway, no seat belts? '62 was first year for US bound Beetles to have factory mounting points for seat belts, so look for some plugs or threaded holes in the center tunnel behind the hand brake and around the door sills to mount them.
Again, that's all going to be part of your unique build Very Happy

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Dynaflash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good points. Thanks.

Not to change the subject but I have decided to make an owners manual of sorts so that when the when the next owner gets the car he will know what is what. I wish I had this for my car so I could figure out a few things. Like why did he remove the anti sway bar?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I removed by anti-sway bar, I really can't tell the difference. I'll drive it without for a couple of months and put it on, maybe then I can tell a difference.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need a front sway bar?
Do you need a seat belt?
Do you need a spare tire?
Do you need insurance?

Nope. Not until you need them and then you'll be glad you have them. After the fact it's a little too late.

Understand that the swing axle king & link pin VW is one of the most evil handling cars on the planet.

For many people this isn't much of an issue during their normal driving.
Of course, neither is having a spare tire. But when you have a flat, you need a good spare that has air in it as well as a jack and a lug wrench.

And when things get out of shape, a seat belt helps to keep you behind the wheel where you may get lucky and be able to hang on instead of getting tossed around the cabin.

Sway bars are simply tools to help tune the chassis. Adding a sway bar, or increasing the stiffness of a sway bar at one end of the car adds grip to the pavement at the other end of the car.

The VW is prone to oversteer which means the rear breaks away in a corner. Because of the rear weight bias of the car, the rear tires break free before the fronts.

VW added the front sway bar in an effort to try to reduce the car’s tendency to oversteer. They didn’t add a rear bar because a rear bar increases grip at the front wheels which in turn causes the rears to break free first.

MILLIONS of people drove these cars everyday without them and few ever had a problem. So in the words of Clint Eastwood, Are you feeling lucky?

It’s that panic situation where you need to take evasive action that makes these types of things worth their weight in gold. You may get fortunate and never find yourself in that sort of situation. But if you are, a sway bar might help.

Another item that is a very big help in just those sorts of circumstances is the Camber Compensator. The swing axle has a tendency in extreme cornering situations to have the outside loaded wheel tuck under. When that happens you are immediately on your head. The Camber Compensator helps a lot in those situations and is something I highly recommend.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 50+ year old car sooo many things can happen.

If the car is lowered in the front, good chances are it might have been taken off to do the work involved.

Given that, some people find the stock front stabilizer bar mountings fiddly and tedious, so they often are often found missing on lowered or modified cars.

Or, perhaps the mounting hardware was rusted out and new ones were not in the budget or easily available at the time of repairs.

Those are some known reasons for example, and there will always be the "I don't feel any difference without it" notion.
(#1 reason why I quoted the high percentage of car makers who use them, together they have all done enough scientific and quantitative testing to justify their benefits). Razz

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynaflash wrote:
Not to change the subject but I have decided to make an owners manual of sorts so that when the when the next owner gets the car he will know what is what. I wish I had this for my car so I could figure out a few things. Like why did he remove the anti sway bar?

The Owner's Manuals are right here in Thesamba. Got to the technical section and select Owner's Manuals. It defaults to the Type2s so select type1 and choose the one you want - they are 50+ pages but you can print them if you want.

For workshop manuals, choose the appropriate Bentley manual, and I find Haynes, Clymers and the Aussie Gregory's manual useful too.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway. Or anti sway bar questions Reply with quote

Dynaflash wrote:
Well I have searched and can't find the answer. Did my 62 bug come with front and or rear anti sway bars? There appear to be none there now and the previous owner did not remove them. Maybe a few owners ago?

Do I need them really?

Car is a 62 with the stock size skinny tires. Lowered a little probably also by a few owners ago.
This car will be used mostly for around town and will probably never see over 70 mph. I am not in a hurry to get anywhere so going around corners at high speed is not an issue. Just want to be as safe as you can be driving a 50 year old car with no computer, no air bags, no seat belts, drum brakes and no 5 mile per hour bumpers.

If you want to be as safe as you can be in a fifty year old car, then add the upgrade of a sway bar.
But first install the seat belts, that is very important, I'd likey be dead 35 years ago had I not worn one, still hurt bad, and it was only a lap belt, but it likely saved me from much worse, and that was in a VW Bus, not a tiny Bug.

Stock tires are not as safe as new radials. radials are a huge upgrade in safety, they handle much better than the old bias ply tires.

Brighter and or high mount brake lights are a very good upgrade for safety sake, make sure your brake light switch actually turns on the lights at the slightest touch. old switches may not make contact until you are pressing real hard on the brakes, giving the driver behind you less warning time to stop.

so seatbelts, are first on my list of safety upgrades, with good brake lights as a second on the list (LED brake lights turn on faster than old style lights, and thus give the guy behind you more time to stop). then make sure you have radial tires. down the list is a sway bar.

but for goodness sake, get some seat belts!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dynaflash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. First let me clear up some things.
I am not interested in driving this car in an unsafe manner. I will add seat belts, radial tires, disc brakes, dual master and a few other things that I have read about here.
As for the owners manual I was talking about. I don't mean a VW owners manual, I mean a notebook that tells every modification that I make so that the next owner will not have so many questions, like I do now.

The lack of a sway bar just seems strange to me. I wish I knew what the previous owner was thinking. What else has he done that I will need to fix? We will see.

Thanks for your help
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a diary for the car during my restoration was a good idea, and I am glad I did it. I took all my notes, receipts, and other paperwork and pictures from my time fixing the car up and made a binder in the end with index tabs for body, parts sourcing and purchases, instructions I found along the way, and I kept a spiral diary to stay on track and organized, and made illustrations of the car to break out sanding and bodywork zones to stay focused.

This is for a keeper; I'm not a fix-it-up-and-sell-it guy.

It is very helpful, as I have a record of where I got everything, how much it cost, and then my spiral book has my thoughts, frustrations, and any changed plans in it. It's entertaining to grab a drink and re-read it!

I also used it to total up the cost of the resto.... Holy crap, what ever happened to these cars being cheap?!
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynaflash wrote:

As for the owners manual I was talking about. I don't mean a VW owners manual, I mean a notebook that tells every modification that I make so that the next owner will not have so many questions, like I do now.

OK that makes sense. I have kept a logbook on my 1970 bug since I bought it brand new. It tells me that I filled it up from completely empty in January 1971 for $2.58 or about 6 cents a litre! These days we think it's great to buy fuel for under $1.20 per litre.

It also allows me to check on how long a set of brake pads last and stuff like that - very useful.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a sway bar for a 2 inch narrowed beam?
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynaflash wrote:

The lack of a sway bar just seems strange to me.

The first time you attempt to install one with the stock mounting hardware you will understand why yours is missing!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my sway bar off so it would handle forest roads better. I was surprised how little if effected handling. It leans just a couple more degrees in a turn, almost unnoticeable. That is why my sway bar is missing. Although I plan on putting it back on in a few months to see if I notice when it goes back on.
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway. Or anti sway bar questions Reply with quote

Dynaflash wrote:

Do I need them really?

Yes, you do need the sway bar, and VW put it there for the numerous reasons already noted. I can donate one, if you pay shipping. PM me if you're interested.
Dynaflash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway. Or anti sway bar questions Reply with quote

nvrgvupjw wrote:
Dynaflash wrote:

Do I need them really?

Yes, you do need the sway bar, and VW put it there for the numerous reasons already noted. I can donate one, if you pay shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Yes for sure interested. I sent you a PM thanks
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Dynaflash wrote:

The lack of a sway bar just seems strange to me.

The first time you attempt to install one with the stock mounting hardware you will understand why yours is missing!

That is for sure! Does anyone make some type of alternate hardware?
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate Hardware-the only way to go:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Stainless-Steel-Swaybar-Clamp-Kit-Ball-Joint-T1-p/6500-51.htm
2" Narrowed bar for ball joint beam with alternate hardware:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Narrowed-3-4-Swaybar-Lowered-Ball-Joint-Type-1-p/6500-41-6500-41-bl.htm
2" Narrowed bar for link pin beam w/ alternate hardware
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Narrowed-3-4-Swaybar-Lowered-Link-Pin-Type-1-p/6500-40-6500-40-bl.htm
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway. Or anti sway bar questions Reply with quote

Dynaflash wrote:
nvrgvupjw wrote:
Dynaflash wrote:

Do I need them really?

Yes for sure interested. I sent you a PM thanks
Didn't see the PM try it again? Once I hear from you I'll check the shipping cost. It's just the bar, so you'll need the four rubber parts and the clamp parts. You need two pair of vice grips and a hammer to make the clamp parts behave.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960 model year was 1st to have front sway bar. no 1938-1967 had a rear sway bar. 1967 had a zbar setup which was overload setup. they used smaller od torsion bars in 67 making them have the 67 droop in rear.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: