Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake/axle help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_3t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: brake/axle help Reply with quote

I don't know if these two things are related but I have two problems with the brakes/axles on my bug.
First problem is the axles and brake drums. The transmission I picked up is long axles. Very weird size though. The wide five drums I have are too short for the axle nut and the 4 lug drums I have are too long. It seems to be an in between size.
Second problem is the brakes rubbing on the drums. I have the shoes adjusted as far in as they go and the drums still rub too hard to even move. Weirder thing is that the emergency brake is fully tightened but it doesn't grab.
I'd appreciate some help, I'm only 2 years into volkswagens and am still learning. Thanks!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: brake/axle help Reply with quote

matt_3t wrote:
I don't know if these two things are related but I have two problems with the brakes/axles on my bug.
First problem is the axles and brake drums. The transmission I picked up is long axles. Very weird size though. The wide five drums I have are too short for the axle nut and the 4 lug drums I have are too long. It seems to be an in between size.
Second problem is the brakes rubbing on the drums. I have the shoes adjusted as far in as they go and the drums still rub too hard to even move. Weirder thing is that the emergency brake is fully tightened but it doesn't grab.
I'd appreciate some help, I'm only 2 years into volkswagens and am still learning. Thanks!

I believe there were variations in axle length within the 5 lug year models. You might try a search on axle length to clarify this, or look up the model year changes that are listed (I think there is something like that in the technical or achieve section of samba.)

as far as the shoes dragging, there where year differences in shoe size also, I know the width varied, maybe even the diameter. I know Bus shoes on my 63 are much wider than the ones on my 61 Bug. Type III drums are larger than some type I drums, in width I have some typeIII drums on a 1970 Type I, and they are larger

It could be you have a mismatch of parts causing the problem.

can you provide some identification as to what you have, and/ or some photos, maybe someone can help identify what you have, and then what it will take to make it work

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be 1967 long axles. Then you are trying to use narrow earlier brake drums with wider later brake shoes.

You pretty much have three choices:

1. Post images of the brake parts and do a little research on what year of brake drums you are trying to use.

See parts manual for above:

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html

2. Take it to a shop and pay for them to sort out what you have.

3. If you have or buy complete core transaxle for your year range and install the axles/brakes onto your new transaxle.
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 67 trans (well Jim Davidson is rebuilding it with my help in detailing parts).
I had 1 bad axle (threads) and I needed a replacement. The 67 axles are 27 3/4 inch (approx.) in length. So why do people call the 67 axles long? The 68? axle is about an inch longer and after sorting through a pile of axles (thanks Jim) I did find 2 of the length I needed - another 67 only part I believe?
Thanks,
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daven wrote:
So why do people call the 67 axles long? The 68? axle is about an inch longer and after sorting through a pile of axles (thanks Jim) I did find 2 of the length I needed - another 67 only part I believe?
Thanks,
Dave

The center axle portion of the 67 and 68 are the same length, but 68 axles are slightly longer overall because the 68 axles have a longer splined section since 68 drums have a longer snout on them. 67 and 68 axles are both long when compared to the 66 and earlier axles. As you can see, the wheel bearing will rest in the same place on 67 or 68 axles, so your hub/wheel will be in the same place, so when on the car, they are basically the same length (in regards to where your wheel will be).

The bearing on a 66 and earlier axle will sit further in as will your hub/wheel.

Here's a pic from the gallery to give you a side to side comparison.
66 and earlier short axles on left
67 long axle/short spline in the middle
68 long axle/long spline on the right
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matt_3t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they are 67' axles. i Thought the spline length is the same on short axles and 67' axles. Which would make me think that the average wide 5 bug drum would fit. Ill post pics when it stops raining and i can take it apart again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: