Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questionable cargo floor replacement
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubangt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Questionable cargo floor replacement Reply with quote

So i know i will hear a number of "dont do it" comments, but looking for pros and cons of the following.

The entire cargo area floor in the 71 was missing, but all the supports are solid and besides a few small cuts or dents, from possibly removing the old floor everything is a good foundation. So in a effort to save some money and make the cargo area custom to my daughters wants.. I have enough 18ga metal to fabricate a new floor that is smooth and flat so she can install some laminate flooring. BUT because the original was corrugated flooring, installing just flat sheet metal is about 3/16 to 1/4 lower than the original.

Since i do occasional welding, i have plenty of flat bar and 18ga sheet metal that i can raise the floor so that it all is flush and can be butt welded to the original flooring that is still in the area.

If i use body panel adhesive and welding to add the flat bar to the existing supports(to take up the space difference) then weld in the 18ga sheet metal to that, does anyone have any concerns with doing this, we are clearly not restoring the bus to its original glory, we are going to customize this to what my daughter and us like and make sure everything is sealed up and secure.

only reason we are considering this is because a new floor with shipping is little over $1000 but i already have material which i believe if bought today would be maybe $150 worth of metal to close up the floor.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Questionable cargo floor replacement Reply with quote

I'm not sure how you intend to use the flat bar material, but the reason the floor was corrugated was to add strength and rigidity to the floor.

18ga steel may just be too weak to span the distance. Perhaps if you used RHS bars to provide a network of floor bearers you'd get away with it.
cubangt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Questionable cargo floor replacement Reply with quote

So the 18ga is the same thickness as the rest of the sheet metal, the purpose and layout of the flat bar was to be laid on the cross bars currently on the frame to bring the height up, but also like a checkered board.. 2 or 3 to span from front to back and then welded to the existing frame, then the ones across each existing frame cross member. if that makes sense.

ill try to take a picture and illustrate what i was thinking.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Questionable cargo floor replacement Reply with quote

OK. I think I understand now.

One layer of flat bar going front to back (north-south). Then another layer of flat bar going east-west ON TOP OF THE N-S! To give you the required height.

Maybe my thinking is that the flat plate is only thin, but if it is 4-5mm then it'll probably do the job.

I'm all for using up material I have bought years ago and is now worth a lot of money. Smile
cubangt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Questionable cargo floor replacement Reply with quote

OK, so the front to back would lay on top of the existing frame that runs back to front.. then on all cross members same thing, from side to side.. as seen in blue on the image.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: