Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best purchase made for your car thus far.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Best purchase made for your car thus far. Reply with quote

I'd have to say geting the bug me videos was a pretty good investment, I bought 6-10 recently and already had 1-5. Ive watched each a few times. Will continue to watch them until i can recite them verbatim. lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was a brand new Thing Shop soft top that I bought on EBay for $150! I then sold the old top for $158 Wink
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best purchase made for your car thus far. Reply with quote

I like the Bug-Me vids as well.

I'll mention something that is often overlooked or left until last on the list of usual refurbishments. Freshening up my steering and suspension has made a huge impact on my driving experience. Getting the car sitting level, getting rid of the groans and squeeks in the suspension, getting rid of steering free-play, and, in the case of my car, removing some annoying play at the top of the steering column made the car so much more inspiring and fun to drive.

Rehabbing the steering and suspension isn't glamorous, but I put it near the top of the list in terms of R&R-ing a car, right under brakes.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Jetta GLI leather seats.

Mind you, they came with the car, but it beats the old original seats hands down.
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: RE: Best purchase made for your car thus far. Reply with quote

By far it was the car itself. It may be the best item I ever purchased.

Otherwise I would say that changing the ignition to Bosch and carb back to German stock did the most for my Thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dislike the stock steering wheel, so replacing it was the best change so far.

On long drives (especially when I drove it from CA to NY) the stock wheel was so skinny that it hurt my hands to hold onto it after a while. It's also too big in diameter for my taste.

Oh, and getting a new solenoid for the starter was a huge improvement as we had to tap it or push start the car alot on the x-country trip.

I'm also an owner and supporter of some of the Bug Me Videos. Those guys are really knowledgable and there's a fair amount of unintentional comedy on those tapes.
LuciferRex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug me videos....any linkage
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bugmevideo.com/

or at the top of this page there's a link to "See all banner ads" and they're there.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new set of glass side curtains from The Thing Shop, though pricey, a huge improvement over the OG vinyl ones. Best of all, I can actually slide the windows open and grab my to go food....LOL!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: