Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What so special about the Thing?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things were party mobiles for college kids in the early 70’s so freeze dried hippies will have happy feelings when they see one.

Something’s in life are great for what they are not—not for what they are.

This is why I hate a gaudy aircooled VW (especially a Thing) or (old Willies Jeep). Like people they should not try to be something they are not. Simple is COOL.
Patmus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on it is that Thing owners drive them for no other reason than they love them. They are not trying to make a statement, or trying to impress the hotties, or trying to fit in ,or rebelling against the establishment or anything else. They are driving their beloved Thing simply because they love it and are having a ball doing it. I kinda feel like a one vehicle parade when I drive it around. I seriously doubt people who drive Hondas feel that way about their cars....................

-Pat
stonebobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just is. People always smile when they see the Thing. There are always lots of "I always wanted one of those" comments from both men and women who are getting closer to the golden years.

But kids also find it unique. When my eldest daughter was in high school, she got the "coolest car" award in the yearbook, despite a plethora expensive, customized cars that affluent parents tend to put their kids in. Now my son (child #4) is getting ready for his turn with it. We've just finished going through it and doing a homemade desert camo paint job in an attempt to hide all the little beauty marks it has received through it's lifetime. Looks pretty good though and he thinks it is the coolest. I've had the daily parade of local kids checking in daily on the progress. I'll post pics in the next couple of days once I get the seats back in.

After this, one more kid who'll use it to learn how to really drive a car. After that, lady stonebobbo (who loves this car more than anyone else) and I will invest in a proper resto and bring it back to it's original Alcapulco glory.

Thirty years from now when you see a couple of old folks in a strange blue and white vehicle driving the coast of California with giant smiles on their faces, that'll be us. Very Happy
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t belittle the investment factor, driving something that is going up in value is also OK in my book.
fisheye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I had a woman pull up next to me at a read light and say only few words: "You have a nice looking thing, I would love take it for a ride". We then both had a little laugh and drove off. I guess there are a few women out there that like the Thing!
stonebobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh ... are you sure she was talking about your car? Shocked
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What so special about the Thing? Reply with quote

About ten days ago I started a poll asking if the Thing is your only aircooled vehicle or not. I asked that question in relation to this thread, wondering if, for most of us, owning a Thing is a goal in itself, or part of a larger more general interest in older aircooled VWs.

The vote was split, with about half of all respondents saying they owned more than one aircooled marvel, and half stating that they only owned a Thing. In the commentary that accompanies the poll, many posters who wrote that their Thing was their only VW also said they had either owned another aircooled VW, or desire or intend to own another in the future.

This would indicate that the Thing, for most of us, is not so special, but part of an encompassing VW hobby (or, for those who admitted they have more than 4, a fetish. Twisted Evil)

My Thing is my only aircooled VW. It's attraction for me was not that it was a VW, or that it was aircooled, or that it could be modified for offroading. It is the simplicity and stark minimalism† of the little beast that drew me to it. It lives almost alone in a realm beyond pretense and status-conciousness, where form follows function. Call it Zen. Call it Bauhaus. With a hint of survivalist or anarchist mixed in. Whatever you call it, I love it. I feel about my Thing as I might about a stray mutt that I found on the street, neglected. Now well-groomed and pampered, it's a purebred in my eyes. Many call it ugly, while a few will voice approval. No matter - jeers or praise are met with equal apathy. There is an air of mystery about the Thing. Many people have never seen one. Those who drive one are a bit mysterious as well. We defy categorization. It's tough for the casual onlooker to size us up. I really enjoy that aspect of the car.

Footnote:
Note that I did not use the term utilitarianism. The Thing, almost too minimal for its own good, is not particularly practical in today's world. It lacks too many significant safety and comfort features and often struggles to match the flow of fast-moving traffic. To own and drive a Thing, one must make too many compromises for it to be considered utilitarian. IMHO, of course.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree about the lack of utilitarianism (?) (sounds like a political movement) of the 181. Four removable doors, removable top and frame, folding windshield, folding rear seat backs creating a larger flat load bed, simple mechanicals requriring a minimum of tools, no creature comforts- it doesn't get more utilitarian than that. In the morning you can bring home a load of lumber, build a raft, load the raft on the open back of your 181, go to the beach, discover a) you are not much of a shipwright, b) you weigh more than you thought you did, and c) you cannot bend archimedes law, but that is okay, because you can fold down the windshield and air dry yourself on the way home. When you arrive back at your stately manor, you can (carefully) hose out the interior, and your car is ready for action again tomorrow.

Try that with a minivan.

As far as the appeal of the Thing, i think the general public finds it to be "approachable"- it has no pretensions. It doesn't aspire to be sporty, like a miata or a spitfire, there are no high dollar associations/ assumptions like those bundled with corvette or porsche ownership. it is what it is. Every demographic looks at a 181 and thinks "that looks like fun."

If the 181 were a dog, it would not be a purebred with AKC paperwork; it would be a pound mutt. Sure, it may not have the breeding or the pedigree, and once in a while it may hack up something on the hall carpet, but it is loyal, easy to maintain, and fun to have around.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have an answer, or at least a consensus. Things are special because they are the lovable mutts of the automotive kingdom.

bciesq wrote:
It's the same vibe that causes some people to walk past the pure breeds to adopt that neglected hard luck hound.

scottienoel wrote:
Wify does not understand the attraction, but as with my dog, I let her name it so I can keep it.

Captain Spalding wrote:
I feel about my Thing as I might about a stray mutt that I found on the street, neglected. Now well-groomed and pampered, it's a purebred in my eyes.

bljones wrote:
If the 181 were a dog, it would not be a purebred with AKC paperwork; it would be a pound mutt. Sure, it may not have the breeding or the pedigree, and once in a while it may hack up something on the hall carpet, but it is loyal, easy to maintain, and fun to have around.

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
I disagree about the lack of utilitarianism (?) (sounds like a political movement) of the 181.

I respect your position. Not trying to pick a fight. Lemme 'splain.

"Four removable doors, removable top and frame, folding windshield" -- Don't get me wrong - I love that the doors come off and the windshield folds down. Of course, it's illegal to drive the car that way, at least where I live. Those are fun features to be sure - just not very useful. Also, the Thing's convertible top is not the most practical. I've owned many convertibles, but the Thing is the only one I've seen whose instruction manual calls for two people to raise or lower the top. We all do it solo, of course, but let's be honest. Compared with most other convertibles, it's a hassle.

"folding rear seat backs creating a larger flat load bed" -- Folding seats are certainly not unique to the Thing. And the so-called load bed is irregular and awkward - and certainly not flat. One can carry more cargo more conveniently in the minivan you derided (though the thought of owning or driving a minivan certainly makes me shudder.) The thought of carrying lumber in my newly painted Thing is not a pleasant one.

"simple mechanicals requriring a minimum of tools" -- Applies to all aircooled VWs, of course.

It could be argued that a squareback is more utilitarian than the Thing. I can carry lumber more securely and conveniently on gutter-mounted roof racks, and transport your homemade yacht on the rack too - without fear of damage to the vehicle or its finish. More importantly, I can carry all my tools in the car, and be less worried about walking away from it because - and this is a biggie for me in the utilitarian department - the loadspaces are lockable. The squareback is also much more practical when the weather takes a turn for the worse, as real windows do a better job of keeping the rain out than curtains. And I would never subject my Thing to such abusive duty that it would require "hosing out." A pick-up bed, yes. My Thing, no.

Please don't misunderstand. I don't have a squareback and I don't necessarily want one. And I'm not bashing the Thing. I own one and love it. None of my vehicles is as charismatic, fun to drive, or gives me as much sheer joy as my 181. But for all the chores you mentioned, another of my vehicles is much better suited.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand your point, capt'n, and don't want you to think that i asm disapsraging your views at all. (i gotta give props to anyone who can utter the magic word "strother.") i simply wanted to present the other side of the story. Having said that, i stand by my thesis. i see your ppoint regarding the relative utilitarianism of a squareback, or minivan except for one thing- try to hose out your squareback or minivan's interior.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: "strother"??? Reply with quote

Is the reference here to Strother Martin????
If not, ya lost me.
He was as the sadistic prison-farm captain in 1967's Cool Hand Luke.
His character's signature line, "What we have here is a failure t' communicate."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: "strother"??? Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
Is the reference here to Strother Martin????

Nope. Strother MacMinn.

Strother MacMinn, IDSA (1919-1998)
Mac began teaching in 1948, and assisted in the design of cars for Opel,
GM and Oldsmobile, and was instrumental in establishing Toyota's Calty
Design Research Inc., the first automotive satellite studio in Southern
California. He taught automotive design for 50 years at Art Center
College of Design in Pasadena,CA.

His students went on to become leading automotive designers around the
world. Michael Lamm, writer and publisher of articles about cars, said, "If
you are in a car today, Mac probably influenced its design." Chuck
Jordan, VP of Design for GM 1986-1982, said, "Mac never designed a car,
but no one influenced car design more than he did." A member of IDSA,
Mac also wrote articles about the history of automobiles for Motor Trend,
Road & Track and other publications.

From the IDSA website.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: