Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing your only aircooled VW?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many aircooled VWs do you own?
Just my one and only.
45%
 45%  [ 20 ]
A brace of aircooled beauties.
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Three is thrice as nice.
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
A fearsome foursome.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
I'm obsessed. More than four.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 44

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Thing your only aircooled VW? Reply with quote

Is your Thing your only love, or are your affections shared among multiple aircooled beauties?

If you have owned another aircooled veedub in the past, or have plans to own one in the future, by all means, make comment.

In part I ask this as research for my answer to Woreign's "What's so special about the Thing?" thread, but also to assess whether most Thingers are a subset of aircooled enthusiasts in general or a breed unto themselves.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, yes, the Thing is the only ACVW I personally own. That doesn't count the other four we have in the family. Very Happy
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the current owners of Things have no other aircooled VWs currently, I thinkyou would find that most have owned others in the past. Therefore, this may be a more appropriate question, in my opinion, and would show that nearly all Thing owners are a “subset of aircooled enthusiasts.” I have talked to probably 50 owners @ shows all of which have owned others @ some time most only own the Thing now.
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing is my first air-cooled car of any type (and also my first VW, though my dad owns a '66 Beetle and and an 80's-vintage Vanagon) and currently (and for the forseeable future) my only car. We'll see how she holds up during our WET Oregon winters...
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first car was a 1973 VW Super Beetle. I bought it for $1500 back in '88. It was bright orange.

I then bought a 1973 Porsche 914 (VW cousin) in '98. I restored it to it's original Zambezi Green. I sold it a few years later.

And now I have a 1973 VW Thing, which I bought two months ago.

I'm starting to think there might be a connection with the year 1973?
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 6 years I gave my 181 a big brother (Bay Pickup)
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by TimGud on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up to 6 (7? what does a driveable pan count as?) but i've trimmed it back to 3 (or 4 if you count a driveable pan). Have my Thing and two oval beetles.

Justin
1954 Sedan (On the back burner)
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just have the Thing for now, but I have usually had one air cooled in my driveway for 30 years. Four bugs, three vans and a 914.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
caspar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'73 white daily driver
'73 orange - wife took over-
'73 yellow- had since '86 - on blocks-restore some day- orange was going to be parts car for yellow- orange was better shape lol

looking for bus/crew cab to add

caspar
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a '73 Thing, and I talked my parents into getting a '74 for my younger brother, too!
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patmus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wife and I currently own three ACVW's, Our 73' Thing, our 64' Kombi, and a 67' Ghia. Over the years I have owned every type of ACVW except a type4.

-Pat
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was and is my Thing. I bought it a few days after turning 16. (well there was a FJ-40 before the Thing but technically it isn’t a car.) I have owned a 70’ standard Bug that I found in a field in Sandy Utah and paid $200 for. Spent $75 dollars to get it running and drove it for a few years. I have also owned a 75’ 1800 914. That car was a joy to drive. Out of all the cars I have owned I regret selling that one the most.

I have also owned a few other FJ-40s along with other 4x4’s and a few random water cooled cars. All those have come and gone but the Thing has been with me the whole time.

I just found a real “barn find” 55’ Oval in La Crescenta that I am contemplating purchasing and always looking for another 914.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a 64 Beetle (with a 58 36HP engine). Since those years I've owned a 77 Bus, a 73 Beetle, and now this 71 Military Thing.

Future plans are to own a nice Westy. I might consider a trade....
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had three different buses during 50s, 60s and 70s, the 70 model had a working air conditioner. Blew engines on all of them, twice with the 70 model. (dropped valves, broke jugs). Now I know enough to check the valves, whereas b 4 I just drove them like any other car.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brand new 63 beetle(my first VW) for a couple years as a teensger. Twenty years later I bought and restored a 68 that I kept and gave to my daughter until she sold it....then bought a 67 and with my son built him a Baja which he sold and I restored my Dad's "70 that he kept for a few years. Now only have my 73 Thing. I sometimes think of selling but so far have just held on.
stonebobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 74 Thing is my only air cooled VW anymore. It's been with us for 10 years. Also have had a 66 sunroof bug, a 72 SB convertible, a 69 kombi, an 80 vanagon. Does a 61 356B and a 79 911SC also count? And while not air cooled, my 2002 C4S still has the same mojo.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm into Things and split buses. Used to have a '70 Beetle, but never felt about it like I do the others and last summer ditched it. The Thing was my first aircooled, next was a '65 singlecab that had been beat to death by a sheet metal shop before being stripped. I did the best I could restoring it while going to college and knowing nothing. It still needs another motor.

Things are simple to the point that there are no trim levels or really even many options, one thing I like about the split busses. I pretty much like about all busses but the trucks and deluxes are the only ones I could ever see myself owning. I'd like a camper but would probably go with a vanagon. Aside from the singlecab I've currently got a rusted out 21-window sitting in the yard that I'll soon need to get rid of to make room for a 23-window I just picked up.

Assuming that they all ran someday, the Thing would likely get the most miles, and not just because my Mom also enjoys taking her friends out in it, with the 23 a close second. The Single, though I do love it, just isn't as open on a nice sunny day.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thing your only aircooled VW? Reply with quote

In addition to my 73 Thing, I own a 63 Beetle.

In the past I have owned:
69 Beetle (1st car)
74 Super Beetle
77 Bus
78 Westfalia Camper
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've got 4 type 3s here, a 73 super bug (my daughter's car) and the Thing. We've had my wife's Fastback since 1989, and we've bought and sold a few bugs over the years too. I got my Notch in late September of 2000, and the other 2 type 3s came along since. The Thing we just picked this spring, and we're slowly restoring it for my dad to use as a winter beach cruiser. Cool My son and I are having fun with this project, as it seems like VW raided the parts bin to build the Thing. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: