Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

flashers
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodge this one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: flashers Reply with quote

Ok, so I have a problem with my Thing's flashers, I got a new emergency and headlight switch, new relays and still nada. I think I've got it hooked up wrong, I have my girlfriend's wiring diagram and its a little greek to me. Could someone with working flashers and such unscrew their dash and snap a color pic or 2 for me of the back of the switches and relays to let me know if I've got the right stuff where it goes? Thanks
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help... When you say you have new relays, they may need to be modified to work properly. When I replaced my headlight relay, the new one had 5 terminals where the original only had 4. The relay would not work until I shorted two of the terminals. In the case of the headlight relay, I had to solder a wire between terminal 30 and 56. It then worked just fine.

Maybe the same thing has happened with your flasher relay? Does the new one have the same number of terminals as the original?
dodge this one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I got the flashers from the Thing Shop, so they are almost the same as original, flasher one is no longer mounted to the car as they just send a lil box style rather than the larger one which mounts nicer. The switches I got from VW Paradise, the headlight one I can't use, emergency one is almost identical and mounted nice, but I'm thinking I dont have something right with it. But the flashers were the same number of prongs and such, but I'm just not sure, the lights do light up with the driving lights, just no flashing.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your turn signals work? If they do, then you at least know that the signal flasher is working and installed correctly.

Have you checked your fuses? On a '73 Thing, fuse #10 controls the "Emergency flasher system" and the heater. It might be that simple of a fix...

Are the terminals on your flasher switch numbered? Looking at my wiring diagram, it should be hooked up as follows:

58b = White with red stripe
R = Black with green stripe
L = Black with white stripe
49a = Black with white&green stripe AND solid blue (two wires)
31 = orange
15 = green
30 = red

I hope this helps. Good luck!
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the year of your 181; we can then locate a wire diagram to help you gigure this out in case the above post does not corolate to your setup.
dodge this one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 73. Turn signals do not flash, but they will light up when the headlight switch is pulled out, just no flashy. Can you also post up what the emergency flasher is supposed to have connected to it. It's a brand new unit and its not even blinking so I'm thinking it may be not hooked up right and causing the whole problem. Thanks
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 73 as well, and my flasher unit is hooker up as follows:

31 = red
B1 = Blue/red
49 = White
49a = Blue

You mentioned that the new flasher relay is smaller and not mounted to the car. This may be your problem... Your flasher may not be grounded properly.

Also, the original flashers were load activated: the current to the lights would activate the relay. It may be possible that you have a modern electronic flasher. It may need to be wired differently.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: