Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thinking about building a ratrod
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachbumberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: thinking about building a ratrod Reply with quote

any advice? i figure chop the top, put an early american solid front axle (maybe a postal jeep front) pull the fenders, beef up the tranny and build up the motor, etc. i wanna do this on the cheap, so intirior will be pretty basic (like a ratrod should be) and the exterior will be the same. i want a fun project that i can do and have something really really cool. any input would be great
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget to paint it with flat paint & take all of the seat upohlstrey. Then weld 3 or 4 other shifers to your shifter to extend it so high that it almost hits the roof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cvgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing wrong with a ratrod. Your jeep axle won't work, it has twin longitudal leaf springs, you're thinking of a early Ford(pre 49)front axle with a single transverse leaf spring. Why not use a beam extender? Alot easier, decent look. I built a ratrod(wasn't called that then)in 1992 out of a 66 bug. People thought I was really weird.....
and I think he's being a bit fececious about the shifter.....
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the whole rat-rod look. I'd like to build one for myself, but the "look" almost requires a chopped top.....and I'm 6" 4" tall.

Maybe a rat-rod convertible.......... Sad
beachbumberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... what is a beam extender and how does it work? i actually planned on painting it flat brown but no big tall shifter... i dont like that
cvgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beam extender is a fabricated metal part that moves the axle forward, placing the wheel center just behind the front apron. If you don't, the whole look is outa kilter. Being new here, don't know if I can mention the site you can find beam extenders at.......anybody know if it's allowed?
nukeworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the one in this month's Hot VW? I think that is like the coolest ride I've ever seen. Must be nice to have unlimited funds.
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cvgt wrote:
A beam extender is a fabricated metal part that moves the axle forward, placing the wheel center just behind the front apron. If you don't, the whole look is outa kilter. Being new here, don't know if I can mention the site you can find beam extenders at.......anybody know if it's allowed?

yes you're allowed to mention the site where you can find beam extenders...
for more information on what you can and cant do in the forums, i suggest you read the forum rules.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWRAT67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I have for you is to go to http://www.volksrods.com this is not the best site for rat rod applications.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachbumberry wrote:
ok... what is a beam extender and how does it work?

It pushes the front beam out & effectively lengthens the wheel base by around 10-inches. Another advantage the extenders has is that it lowers the front end about 2-inches at the same time. Contact Mike at wwwpeglegmetalwerks.com or (415) 253-0964

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shane red wrote:
don't forget to weld 3 or 4 other shifers to your shifter to extend it so high that it almost hits the roof.

Or you can do it the easy way, install a 1961-67 Type 2 shifter instead.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
BaggedVdub58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u do decide to go with a tall shifter try getting one built from alum or some other light weight material because a steel one would be to heavy and pop out of gear on hard bumps..... Just a thought My shifter is sits right in the middle of windshield....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a totally legit question, as it's something I've wondered about for some time...what are the effects of switching to a Ford-style front suspension/front end, in terms of handling? Does it really work, or is it an acceptable swap for a car that only gets drive periodically and sees limited highway speeds? Not asking to stir the pot here, but am curious as to how well they work in real-world applications, as I'm wondering as to how much time went into properly changing the engineering of the VW's suspension?
I've never driven a '32 or any other early Ford, so I'm not sure as to their handling behavior...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re early Ford front end - Did you ever drive an old pick up? Something with a solid front axle - lot of early 60s pickups still had them. Not the best handling things out there. The early fords, etc were similar. Single bar with wheels stuck on the ends.

So - here is the thing - if you are after the look. then screw it as far as handling goes. I mean, would an independent front suspension look good on a T-Bucket? Heck no.

I doubt if you are planning to rip up and down canyon roads with it anyway. I do know some old school rodders that were able to get reasonable handling in early Ford rods, but it's a real chore. (Could never understand putting an Jag independent rear in a car with a solid front axle though......)
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefabulousnip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/product.aspx?display_id=4040&dept_id=948
You might want to check that kit out from Speedway.

andk5591, you compared the old Fords to a straight axle pickup, but a '40s model Ford car has a cross steering setup that is much better than the old trucks. I don't know if the VW kit uses cross steering, but if so it shouldn't handle too bad. A cross steer Ford car has zero bump steer problems, something that can't be said about the trucks.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Re early Ford front end - Did you ever drive an old pick up? Something with a solid front axle - lot of early 60s pickups still had them. Not the best handling things out there. The early fords, etc were similar. Single bar with wheels stuck on the ends.

So - here is the thing - if you are after the look. then screw it as far as handling goes. I mean, would an independent front suspension look good on a T-Bucket? Heck no.

I doubt if you are planning to rip up and down canyon roads with it anyway. I do know some old school rodders that were able to get reasonable handling in early Ford rods, but it's a real chore. (Could never understand putting an Jag independent rear in a car with a solid front axle though......)

I guess I'm just not meant to be a VolksRod guy, as I can't foresee building a car based on purely integrating the look of a completely different make. No offense to those who are into it, but it just doesn't make sense to me, especially when it worsens drivability characteristics, like handling.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-jeffrey
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:

-jeffrey

CLASSIC! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fonzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:

-jeffrey

yeah no kidding... wtf wants to do something un-original like a rat rod?

Personally, I haven't seen enough white convertible superbeetles get restored back to ... umm... factory specs... yet...

OHH OHH! wait! even better!
a white convertible superbeetle NOT restored back to factory specs! just sort of half-assed cleaned up and driven daily!

man now THAT would be the shiznit!

bet it would hit the cover of every major bug mag in a few weeks!
-jeffrey
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, without ruffling any feathers--I'm totally asking for the sake of curiosity--what is the point behind adapting a worse-handling front end to the front of a VW, other than the "look?" I mean, to me a Ford front end looks at home on a '32 Ford, and looks like it BELONGS there, but on a VW it only looks like an adapted novelty. Is that the only reasoning behind it?

I definitely see the creative palate that the VW is to many people and everything, but trying to make it look like a Ford I don't understand...especially when it inhibits--at least I'm assuming it inhibits, but other's opinions on the handling characteristics seem to confirm this--safe and agile handling. If the car can't be driven at speed safely, then it really isn't a "rod," is it? I know that street rods are built with drivabilty in mind, but aren't rat rods patterned after the original spirit of hot rodding, which was speed and horsepower?

Sorry if I'm reading further into this than necessary, but I'm a curious guy. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: