Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet Kit
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Carpet Kit Reply with quote

I'm contemplating putting carpet in the rear storage area. JBugs has a fairly reasonable kit available:

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PRO..._Code=1079

But I have a few concerns... How do you secure them in place so they won't blow out when you have the top down. And once they are secured, what do you do if they get wet? I'd hate to trap moisture underneath them.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought some indoor/outdoor carpet for a couple of dollars a yard at Lowes. It looks just like the original carpet in our 67 Volvo we are restoring.

You could carpet a piece of plywood and use snaps to secure it. Or use Velcro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMI carpet kit for the Thing (that is the most commonly available) is designed to be glued in place using contact cement. I used indoor outdoor very high quality carpeting ( I spared no expense grabbing a remnant left from recarpeting a school library). I cut it to fit the rear area and secured it in place using ss screws with nice collars ( near exact to the screws and flared washers that hold the footwell covers in pace. The screws went into the rubber plugs in the rear of the body so no holdes needed to be drilled. The PO had contact cemented in a carpet kit. It was a bit of a mess to remove. The glued in place carpeting resulted in some minor rust damage that has now been repaired. I do not suggest glued in carpeting in a Thing. Anything that traps moisture will result in eventual rust damage. I cut some thick rubber mats that I have not used because I fear moisture will be trapped under the mats... I am considering making a 1/2" round punch to make holes in my rubber mats to allow moisture to escape. The plan would be to make the thick sponge rubber mats look somewhat like the original swiss cheese mats...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jsut saw the coolest set of duck boards made from welcome mats made of wooded blocks and rubber blocks. The mat was a closeout item from Target. It was taken apart and put back together to to fit the floors.

Last edited by kubelmann on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both of your ideas! My next stop will be Lowes... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: