Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Shimmy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Thing Shimmy Reply with quote

just bought a 74. It has 55,000 miles on it (I know the car) It has been sitting for about 5 years.
It has a shimmy that shows when you hit bumps. I have the gas tank out .
I dont feel any play in the tie rods. It had a click in the steering box which went away when I adjusted out the excessive play. Is there anyway to test the tie rods to see if that is the problem. Any other suggestions ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CARMENMC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Thing Shimmy Reply with quote

You might check the steering damper located under the gas tank. These are not necessarily Thing specific but here is a link to the Thing Shop.

www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=113425021
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Thing Shimmy Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to mention I have a new damper on it. I can feel the shimmy with the car on stands either pushing the tire top to bottom or side to side but i don't see any play in the tie rod ends or ball joints. The outer tie rod end pass side swivels pretty freely when i grab it should this normally be very tight ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like wheel bearings. tighten up the spindle nuts a little and see if that reduces the wheel movement when it is on the jack stands. If so, then a) the nuts were too loose, or b) the bearings are shot. in any event, just for peace of mind, pull the drums and lube the spindles and repack the bearings.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: shimmy Reply with quote

Well I got the car back together. wheel bearings ok, Tires balanced and rotated front to back, no noticable play in the ball joints or tie rods.Adjusted steering wheel play to one inch. I do notice that the steering wheel has play up and down, the whole coluum does not move. I also notice there is a clicking sound that seems to come from the steering box when you turn the steering wheel That was there before I adjusted the worm play. this has me perplexed. still shimmys over bumps. any ideas out there ?
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the tires, how old are they? Old tires can look great but give problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Shimmy Reply with quote

Also check the steering coupler. It could be broke or very worn.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your steering wheel movement could be the nut that holds the wheel to the steering shaft. Pull the horn button / pad and check that out.

I think we need a better explaination of your shimmy.... What is it that you are feeling over bumps that you also feel with the car up on stands?? Question

- David
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: bump d bump Reply with quote

over bumps I gets a shimmy ( steering wheel shudduring back and forth. On jacks all I get is at 3 and 9 oclock grabbing the tire a slight play and a clicking noise that seems to come from the steering box. I cannot feel any play at the tie rod ends or see any at the ball joints. steering damper is new and feels good ( I took it off ) to see.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Next questions:

Are the wheels stock? Have you checked the toe?

- David
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: shimmy Reply with quote

stock wheels 195x14 M&S no I have not checked the toe in. That might cause a shimmy ?
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure I would call it "shimmy"... but having too little toe in, or having toe-out, will make it rather "darty". It will not want to drive straight on its own if you let go of the wheel, and won't be as stable when you hit the wind of other cars, etc...

- David
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: shimmy Reply with quote

No it drives straight just gets the shudder a little and then much more over bumps. I hate to just start replacing parts. Been there done that. Would be nice to figure out what is wrong. My suspician is it might be the steering box since i am getting a click from that area when i turn the wheel back and forth also there is play in the column with whatever goes down through the tube. The donut seems Ok.
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Shimmy Reply with quote

Well maybe this is it. the steering column is loose in the column tube. I dont think it is at the donut. My bentley manual is not clear on what holds the tube inplace centered at the steering wheel end. The big nut is tight . Would seem like there is a bearing or something that would do that. The play at the wheel is top to bottom and less from side to side. I can put a video up on a site if that would help
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out some of the images from someone with similar problems. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=asagodowns Maybe you can find some enlightenment there.
Mark
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread too http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109157&highlight=loose+steering
Mark
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it could be a loose grub screw somewhere?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Shimmy shimmy coco pop Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I guess the question is now do I replace the bearing and add the plastic shim gismo. Should have time in a couple of days to take it apart and see what gives.... I will take some pics and try to document it. Now if I can just get rid of that hesitation when I shift.
I swear this is the last old VW I will resurect after it has been sitting in a barn for 7 years. Famous last words.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very common problem, most of the time it's the bearing. All oringinal bearings came with the plastic sleeve. The last time I priced a new bearing it was 45 bucks! The new bearing does not use the plastic sleeve. The same set up is used on a bug. They can be kind of a pain to replace because you have to pull the wiper and turn signal switches. There is also a black sleeve that is just in front of the bearing on the shaft that you have to pry up and off. If you can't find one, let me know, I may have a good used one in the garage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Shimmy Reply with quote

I am looking into finding the plastic spacer part. Others who have had the same problem have been able to fix it by just replacing it. My guess is the bearing is not bad. I will see when i get it apart. Air Cooled.net says to replace the bearing but i don't know yet if that includes the spacer. If it does not it probably will not fix the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: