Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

speed??????
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scso336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: speed?????? Reply with quote

I have just got my 74 thing from some one on the site and went on the highway for the first time and found out quickly that it is not a high speed car what can be done to make it a good road going car and be able to keep up with traffic in ohio (65 to 85 mph)
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: speed?????? Reply with quote

scso336 wrote:
I have just got my 74 thing from some one on the site and went on the highway for the first time and found out quickly that it is not a high speed car what can be done to make it a good road going car and be able to keep up with traffic in ohio (65 to 85 mph)

According to page 57 of the Owner's Manual the maximum and cruising speed of the Thing is 68 MPH. Are you having trouble getting up to that speed? Cruising at 75 is possible with a cash infusion and some motor/tranny mods. 85 is bordering on unreasonable.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: speed?????? Reply with quote

scso336 wrote:

Find a steep downhill grade and put it in neutral. Laughing
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accept it for what it is. Great 55mph vehicle. Capt Spalding has it pegged. I loved mine before I sold it, but not a interstate driver.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you did throw some serious money into the engine (bigger pistons/cylinders, a cam, etc.), I don't think the body/suspension is going to be too stable at anything over 65 MPH.

Remember, these were sold as "fun" mobiles, and not speed racers. They were never built to cruise on a highway at the speeds that there are today.
scso336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i know that it is not a speed racer but my family and i go to car shows all the time and i would like to keep up with them on the highway so if i can get it to go about 65 to 70 that is the target i stopped at la products and thay told me that a 388 tras will do the trick and a new distributer and carbs will make it run good so i am looking at about a grand for all that work what do you think
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
. . . Remember, these were sold as "fun" mobiles, and not speed racers . . .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! Applause Dancing

New wallpaper!!!!!

Mark
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scso336 wrote:
my family and i go to car shows all the time and i would like to keep up with them on the highway

Ask THEM to slow down! Speak to the hand

Quote:
what can be done to make it a good road going car and be able to keep up with traffic in ohio (65 to 85 mph)

Restore it then put it on a trailer behind a Dodge Hemi truck going 65 to 85 mph....? Think

Mark
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Excellent, Captain!!!
Applause Applause

Call in Mythbusters and have them work on the problem of achieving a sustained 85 mph.......uh........ safely.
It would be a great show!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scso336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the speed racer asking the fam to slow down is like asking the pope to read play boy and If I wanted to have a safe car I would drive a volvo is there any one out there that has put a better trans and carbs on it and would did they like it
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not be aware that the Samba has a Performance Engine forum. There are thousands, maybe millions of permutations of performance enhancements to choose from based on one's level of expertise, pocketbook, and desired result. My advice is to spend more time on the research end and less money on the execution, that is to say, take your time and do it right the first time.

I have a 1914cc motor with dual Weber IDF carbs and a custom exhaust. It's a nice little motor and helps the Thing get out of its own way. Any more power and I'd have to rethink the brakes.

scso336 wrote:
. . . If I wanted to have a safe car I would drive a volvo

Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado. Menander (342 BC - 292 BC)
There's a thin line between courage and stupidity. Don't get caught on the wrong side of it.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scso336 wrote:
....i stopped at la products and thay told me that a 388 tras will do the trick ....

Gearing is not the problem. It takes a lot of hp to push your brick at those speeds. You need more power.

Another way is to draft them on the freeway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by TimGud on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are great on highways!

Just not freeways.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Speed Racer pic!

It's the only "safe" part of this thread.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could of course spend $$$ on a larger engine, freeway flyer trans, better tires, etc., but the truth of the matter is that while you might reach it a little more quickly, your top speed really won't be radically altered all that much. In other words, sure, you may be able to top out at 85 with a lot of mods, but is it really worth all the time and money? Obviously a personal decision.

Folks have turned Things into race cars - it is possible - but generally not with mods to a stock engine/trans.

The most obvious obsticle is drag. Things are inherently not aerodynamic. Once you start hitting all that air resistance, it becomes exponentially more difficult to to push it through the atmosphere. I'm not sure what the terminal velocity of a Thing is, but considerng the terminal velocity of a freefalling skydiver against the atmosphere is about 120mph, I would assume that the far less aerodynamic VW would be significantly lower. Once you hit it's terminal velocity, no powertrain in the world will allow it to go any faster.

Another thing to consider is fuel efficiency. About 60% of the power required to cruise at freeway speeds is taken up overcoming air drag, and this increases very quickly at high speed. Therefore, a vehicle with substantially better aerodynamics will be much more fuel efficient. Logically, if you push your Thing to acheive these greater speeds, you'll be burning through fuel more rapidly. On longer drives to car shows, this means that you'll have to stop for gas more frequently.

For the record, my Thing is absolutely bone stock. My 1600 was rebuilt to stock specs a few years ago, and has been driven for maybe 10K miles. I have gotten it up to 75mph (with my wife verifing speed by trailing me in our 2004 Passat) without any problem. I have no problem cruising comfortably on CA freeways at around 60-65mph, and I do pass cars going slower than me.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Determining the terminal velocity of a Thing sounds like a job for the Myth Busters!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinarider wrote:
. . . Once you hit it's terminal velocity, no powertrain in the world will allow it to go any faster.

Uh, for the record, terminal velocity is the speed at which the force of gravity equals aerodynamic drag. If you put a jet engine on the back of your Thing, you could certainly propel it to speeds well beyond its terminal velocity, just as an airplane can fly much faster than it falls.

Also, for the record - world record that is - the highest recorded speed for a human freefall is 321 mph. Smile
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever get just whacky ideas?

Heres one

Add a cone/dome to the flat rectangular front apron on a Thing lol

Something maybe that would latch to the front bumper and with material on the top that would go into the trunk then you close the trunk to pin the material down, something for freeway driving then taken off for around the neighborhood or shows

I'm certain it would reduce drag, or whatever you call it

How about putting the windshield down, convertable down, and getting a pair of old fashion leather helmet with goggles, and a long scarf, snoopy style lol

Ive driven around the block and im pretty sure its a lot easier to drive, that Windshield is just a wall to block air.

It just cuts through the air with that windshield and top down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: