Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abelabelabel wrote:
Show me a 25 year old vehicle at a good price that isn't a project? I'm sure they're out there, but are often sold by people who don't know what they have. Just for you! Wink

OK, here you go. I know exactly what I have. It isn't a project (anymore) and it is a good deal. But no takers yet. I think conversions scare newbies unless you can say it was done just done with a rebuilt engine by a SAH or SmallCar, etc. It's funny that 60K on a clutch and 100K on a 1.8T makes people nervous.

Rustfree 1991 Vanagon coverted to weekender poptop. And previously converted to a 1.8T years ago and brought back to life by yours truly. 200HP, 22 MPG, accelerates like a modern car, climbs to Eisenhower tunnel in 4th gear still accelerating to 80mph if I want, practically every nut and bolt looked at and fixed if needed. It is fun to drive, super reliable, perfect idle, pretty darn good looks, very clean interior, awning, Eurovan seats, 3 Window canvas, poptop shocks, hitch, lift, awesome heat, new timing belt, APR chip, new stereo & speakers. But it's not stock. Price - $12,995 I'd say it is a nice van at a good price. And now that I lost my insurance (long story), it will be sold.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Abelabelabel wrote:
Show me a 25 year old vehicle at a good price that isn't a project? I'm sure they're out there, but are often sold by people who don't know what they have. Just for you! Wink

OK, here you go. I know exactly what I have. It isn't a project (anymore) and it is a good deal. But no takers yet. I think conversions scare newbies unless you can say it was done just done with a rebuilt engine by a SAH or SmallCar, etc. It's funny that 60K on a clutch and 100K on a 1.8T makes people nervous.

Rustfree 1991 Vanagon coverted to weekender poptop. And previously converted to a 1.8T years ago and brought back to life by yours truly. 200HP, 22 MPG, accelerates like a modern car, climbs to Eisenhower tunnel in 4th gear still accelerating to 80mph if I want, practically every nut and bolt looked at and fixed if needed. It is fun to drive, super reliable, perfect idle, pretty darn good looks, very clean interior, awning, Eurovan seats, 3 Window canvas, poptop shocks, hitch, lift, awesome heat, new timing belt, APR chip, new stereo & speakers. But it's not stock. Price - $12,995 I'd say it is a nice van at a good price. And now that I lost my insurance (long story), it will be sold.

Holy cow. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

If I hadn't just spent all my money on a second Van (a Vanagon Carat), I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. I've been craving getting behind the wheel of a van with a 1.8T AUdi motor, and have joked around with my buddy who owns a 2003(?) Audi A4 that I'd buy it off him as a donor for conversion. Laughing Or maybe I'd drive the van during the week, and his audi on the weekends.

At 200HP, sounds like you've got it chipped. Just remove the CHIP for CARB, and even California Vanagoner's are good to go.

Last edited by Abelabelabel on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abelabelabel wrote:
Ad 200HP, sounds like you've got it chipped. Just remove the CHIP for CARB, and even California Vanagoner's are good to go.
YEP, APR chip is awesome. I did get a couple calls from California, but it isn't CARB passable. AEB early 1.8T and doesn't use all the donor stuff. Saab Intercoolers, lots of emission differences. So I guess that's part of it but Spring is almost here.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abelabelabel wrote:

Holy cow. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

If I hadn't just spent all my money on a second Van (a Vanagon Carat), I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. I've been craving getting behind the wheel of a van with a 1.8T AUdi motor, and have joked around with my buddy who owns a 2003(?) Audi A4 that I'd buy it off him as a donor for conversion. Laughing Or maybe I'd drive the van during the week, and his audi on the weekends.

At 200HP, sounds like you've got it chipped. Just remove the CHIP for CARB, and even California Vanagoner's are good to go.

Good van at a great price, but if I remember correctly it's not CA smog compliant. That's not to say you couldn't make it so, but it would be a lot of work with the smog referee. It's not a given just because it is a 1.8t.

** EDIT ** Looks like from Dave's comment it would be near impossible to get past CA smog referee ***

I payed about the same for my van with 1.8t with only 20K miles on the conversion (SAH). Of course, my van is not as clean so I'll be paying out quite a bit more for rust repair and body work at some point. I still consider it a great deal though.

Frankly I'm shocked Dave's van hasn't sold Shocked
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good deal for the right buyer.
Yes, many will want a conversion done by shop not DIY and the Westfalia conversion not being stock also will keep the ones looking for a stocker Westy looking elsewhere.

Still, nice van for the money...to the right buyer.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in-country this one would be mine and not posting it here!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1723300
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good deal" is open to interpretation, but a pop-top Syncro with a fresh engine for under $30K is getting harder to find these days:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4904759904.html

Quote:
1986 VW Vanagon Synchro (4x4) Westfalia Camper. 5spd. Full mechanical restoration including, but not limited to, new GoWesty engine, front drive shaft with viscous coupler, all new swing axles, brakes, ARB/OME suspension including shocks. A/C checked, cleaned, filled and in solid working order. Runs and drives like new!!!! Interior is in great shape with the exception of a little rust on the front edge of the stove. Fridge does not work, don't know exactly what it needs. Exterior is in solid, original condition. The van's never been repainted as far as I can tell. The previous owner Line X'd the nose and rockers to prevent road rash. Minor surface rust in the usual places (seams). . ...
$26500.00 OBO. . .. . .

Please do not contact me with offers to help sell the vehicle. . ....

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting van. It does look nice. Rhino lining the front end is a no-no in my book. But no where in the ad does he spell Syncro correctly and it is clearly and 87 interior not an 86 which is odd to get that wrong, unless it is a conversion.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
"Good deal" is open to interpretation, but a pop-top Syncro with a fresh engine for under $30K is getting harder to find these days:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4904759904.html

Quote:
1986 VW Vanagon Synchro (4x4) Westfalia Camper. 5spd. Full mechanical restoration including, but not limited to, new GoWesty engine, front drive shaft with viscous coupler, all new swing axles, brakes, ARB/OME suspension including shocks. A/C checked, cleaned, filled and in solid working order. Runs and drives like new!!!! Interior is in great shape with the exception of a little rust on the front edge of the stove. Fridge does not work, don't know exactly what it needs. Exterior is in solid, original condition. The van's never been repainted as far as I can tell. The previous owner Line X'd the nose and rockers to prevent road rash. Minor surface rust in the usual places (seams). . ...
$26500.00 OBO. . .. . .

Please do not contact me with offers to help sell the vehicle. . ....

Gotta be a flipper. Does not even know how to spell Syncro!
Bet it's a rust bucket under that liner.
But, it could be a good deal to the right person. Need more info.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
EL31415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26k for a syncro with floppy mirror , rusted kitchen, quart of oil on the floor.
I will stay away from that.

vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked LOL...

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a straight forward ad. It looks like a possibility? A running driving Syncro Westy converted or not in the mid twenties, gets you in the Syncro Westy game. You are hard pressed to get a Syncro tin top builder and a grey interior for under 10 K. Then do a conversion, paint, and fix some mechanicals. Your in over 20k, if you value your time at $50 an hour and do some proper maintenance. When it looks like a vehicle may have the wrong year on the title, my alarm goes off. Is it one of the stolen rigs of years ago, washed by an unknowing owner or two? That is a grey interior rig and it looks like it could be decent, doubt the inter is converted? One thing I like about conversions they have had a lot less living/camping in them, so less moisture condensed out in the interior seams, equals less rust. 86 with the light brown interior is actually a better color for me and my dirty brown dog. Who is going to look at that Syncro? It is a curious one. I'm leaning more toward value then nightmare?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a lower skirt of liner is OK looking in my book, but why up the nose like that?
I say this after working on three completely Monstalined vans..haha Laughing
That is a shame, it probably is a dry chassis.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think lower skirts being covered is cause for alarm, not conviction of rust, but alarm. I have a Syncro with some pedigree history. It came from a famous rebuilder lined. I'll do a build/death thread on it. I'm not sure where it will end up, till I pick it apart. If a van has a belt line, check it closely. I look forward to getting feedback from the forum on the van I currently own. More to come on that. I need to make a video.
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
I think lower skirts being covered is cause for alarm, not conviction of rust, but alarm. I have a Syncro with some pedigree history. It came from a famous rebuilder lined. I'll do a build/death thread on it. I'm not sure where it will end up, till I pick it apart. If a van has a belt line, check it closely. I look forward to getting feedback from the forum on the van I currently own. More to come on that. I need to make a video.

Your exactly right. When I see that lower skirt painted black that just
screams "yep, I painted over the rust to". Most stupid kids do this and
people who want to hide all the crummy body work they did.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a red flag to see liner. That being said, my van is 100% rust free and I've contemplated liner below the crease....

1vw4x4 wrote:
BavarianWrench wrote:

Your exactly right. When I see that lower skirt painted black that just
screams "yep, I painted over the rust to". Most stupid kids do this and
people who want to hide all the crummy body work they did.

Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
Definitely a red flag to see liner. That being said, my van is 100% rust free and I've contemplated liner below the crease....

Good pics or video prior to application would probably help.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do bodywork, pictures are taken when the van is delivered, while work is being done, as the bodywork is finished going to paint, after paint and than if the owner wishes...the lower skirts are lined.
A CD is offered to the owner with every picture, incase a buyer feels corners were cut.

On an aside, I now am using a 3M Accuspray gun and Rocker Shutz below the paint and clear, but over the layers of primer in the lower quarter region.
It allows for the base color to be from top to bottom on the van, but offers a nice additional layer of protection from road debris, salt and offroad action.
These guns and product can be applied almost matte or up to and beyond the texture of bedliner.
They also can be removed and blended much easier if damage occurs.

Most higher end European cars have this same product applied at the factory.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm... Looks interesting if you want to check out Syncro stuff in Germany.

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/vw-t3-model-o...amp;noec=1

A Syncro Westy for around $8,000 and it's older than 25 years. Probably needs some work, but there might be a deal here. Better e-mail Busman.

Checked the Euro/dollar ratio and it's down to 1.12 to the dollar! I bought my German Syncro last year when it was 1.37.
EL31415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
Humm... Looks interesting if you want to check out Syncro stuff in Germany.

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/vw-t3-model-o...amp;noec=1

A Syncro Westy for around $8,000 and it's older than 25 years. Probably needs some work, but there might be a deal here. Better e-mail Busman.

Checked the Euro/dollar ratio and it's down to 1.12 to the dollar! I bought my German Syncro last year when it was 1.37.

Definitively need a lot of works.
And has a lot of rust ...and....weird westfalia set-up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Page 217 of 327

Jump to: