Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for headliner material
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Source for headliner material Reply with quote

Does anyone know a source for the correct vinyl headliner for my 66? It has painted spots, not perforated holes. I've got a TMI kit, but I'd rather use the right stuff.
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the answer to this too, but I think I know the answer and it is that there only making the perforated vinyl and not the dotted vinyl. The dotten vinyl goes from the beltline to the rubber insert and then the headliner is perforated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dotted vinyl is easy to find here, as the perforated.
Sorry it wouldn`t help you as you`re 8K miles away Confused
How much do you need?
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough to go around the windows and back corners.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is correct?. 65 Deluxe has painted spots on the sides, perforated on the ceiling. My original interior 66 standard has painted spots all the way through. Is this a case of VW using whatever they could get?
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novetti wrote:
Dotted vinyl is easy to find here, as the perforated.
Sorry it wouldn`t help you as you`re 8K miles away Confused
How much do you need?

The question is how much can you supply and how much will it cost for say at least 100 to 200 yards?

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go 23 window collection. I had an old timer VW guy come by my house one day and told me that the dotted vinyl was factory from the interior panels up to the beading that seperates perforated vinyl from the dotted vinyl.

It makes sense to me that you would have dotted vinyl below so that the glue doesn't come through around the side windows. Where as the headliner vinyl needs to breath with the windows open so it doesn't balloon up, trap moisture, etc... I still have parts of both in my bus and I would like to make it correct once again. I believe TMI only sells the perforated kind.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 Deluxe wrote:
There you go 23 window collection. I had an old timer VW guy come by my house one day and told me that the dotted vinyl was factory from the interior panels up to the beading that seperates perforated vinyl from the dotted vinyl.

It makes sense to me that you would have dotted vinyl below so that the glue doesn't come through around the side windows. Where as the headliner vinyl needs to breath with the windows open so it doesn't balloon up, trap moisture, etc... I still have parts of both in my bus and I would like to make it correct once again. I believe TMI only sells the perforated kind.

That's always bugged the heck out of me, too, when glueing headliner laterial to a solid surface it is very difficult to not have the flue bleed out through those damn holes. Considering the amount of area used, you would think it would be economical for TMI or someother outfit to produce the correct stuff. I mean its a matter of printed dots instead of holes on the same surface.
--Dan
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay (I'm very busy at work this week).
I'm sure is enough material available here (from about 3 or 4 fabric and vinyl retailers) I visited when I bought headliner fabric to install in my bus here in Sao Paulo, a few months ago.
Costs around 4 or 5 U$ per linear meter (width of 1,5m), retail price.

I could buy it and ship it to you as an option if you really can't find it in US.
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novetti,

What we need in the states in the painted black dot material.

If you could please post a picture of a sample or pmail me I'll be glad to buy bulk of the material. $4-5 would be ok but if we purchase several hundred meters do you think we can get the price down to $2-4 from the suppliers?

Thanks, let's see if we can make this work, painted headliner material has been MIA for years upon years.

Douglas Denlinger
Transporter Restorations
Upholstery Haus
Scottsdale, AZ USA

vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 4-5 bucks a yard is more than reasonable...the price of decent vinyl used in upholstery is easily 10 or more dollars a yard...4-5 seems really really cheap no matter what quanity you are buying
21-window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the dot pattern is correct . When I did my 21 we looked at lots of different choices of dot patterns , material colors and styles(none correct) before I ended up buying some bay headliners and other misc. VW headliners and cutting them up to come up with the correct combination of painted dots and perforated dots with the correct pattern and material. Good Luck.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in here.
I could not find the dot-printed stuff when restoring my '64 deluxe.
Sewfine did the headliner, and they refused to use the perforated stuff anywhere that the headliner got glued down. For good reason, too. The glued perforated headliners look like shit. So I got perforated up top, and solid around the windows and sides. It looked good, but I really wanted to get the dot printed stuff.

Anyway, its not as simple as that. VW used to use mostly dot printed headliner, even over the roof areas. The later buses (66 and 67) with OG headliners I've seen had dot printed all around the sides, and on top back to the mid roof. One I saw only had perforated vinyl over the rearmost roof section.

I was at the Campbelltown, PA show this spring, and was talking to the owner of a bus which had a new headliner installed by the owner. He did as good a job as any I've seen. I mentioned to him how it was too bad that you couldn't get the dot-printed stuff, and he got really angry with me. He insisted that the perforated stuff was correct. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away...

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some dot measurements from my '64 Deluxe, in case it helps. This is the area directly over the driver's front door:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=296972
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=296973
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Approx. 1 cm between the dots.
Note I am using the space between 1 cm and 2 cm to measure.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
I think 4-5 bucks a yard is more than reasonable...the price of decent vinyl used in upholstery is easily 10 or more dollars a yard...4-5 seems really really cheap no matter what quanity you are buying

Not trying to beat up anyone on price, just trying to get the best deal possible when you have shipping to factor in, which I think you are over looking where the material is coming from.

Seven years ago I reproduced 55-58 deluxe material, late 61-early 64 deluxe material the shipping was as expensive as the production costs of the material with 500 yard minimums. A 50 yard roll of material is easily 80 to 100 lbs. 40 rolls of material x 80 to 100 lbs tends to send the price up.

So when there is a purchase to be made, it's best to get the lowest cost on the material because your sure to at least double the cost when shipping gets factored in.

Maybe your willing to pay for this expenditure? Laughing

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're dreaming, what about blue-green tinted dot printed and perforated headliner fabrics for the phosphor/como green interior Turkis '64 buses out there?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
While we're dreaming, what about blue-green tinted dot printed and perforated headliner fabrics for the phosphor/como green interior Turkis '64 buses out there?

How's that 60's or 70's song go.....

Dreeeeeam, dream, dream dream....... Laughing

vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 window collection wrote:
vw7266 wrote:

Not trying to beat up anyone on price, just trying to get the best deal possible when you have shipping to factor in, which I think you are over looking where the material is coming from.

Seven years ago I reproduced 55-58 deluxe material, late 61-early 64 deluxe material the shipping was as expensive as the production costs of the material with 500 yard minimums. A 50 yard roll of material is easily 80 to 100 lbs. 40 rolls of material x 80 to 100 lbs tends to send the price up.

So when there is a purchase to be made, it's best to get the lowest cost on the material because your sure to at least double the cost when shipping gets factored in.

Maybe your willing to pay for this expenditure? Laughing

Makes some sense no doubt...just seemed cheap to start with...and no I dont have to worry bout paying those expenditures, I have a panel! Wink
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What we need in the states in the painted black dot material.

Hi Douglas,
I'm talking about the painted dot material here. These shops have around 6 different headliner fabrics to chose from (including the vinyl perforated AND the same vinyl witout holes and the black dots in the same pattern as the holes in the perforated fabric).
Now is saturday afternoon here, they are closed. I'll go to the store this week to get samples from all headliner fabrics, prices and try to squeeze information about the actual manufacturer of this stuff. I will take pictures from the fabrics and post them here.
If I could investigate and find exactly who is producing it here in Brazil, I'm sure they would sell directly a full jumbo for a better price.
There is plenty of this stuff here because VW's are the most common thing (every block someone owns a beetle), but the oldest are getting harder to find.

Cheers!
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great. I think if we could get it here I would buy enough for two buses just to have it for a later project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: