Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Barn find' stories what's your best find?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
parkerlewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: 'Barn find' stories what's your best find? Reply with quote

If there is a thread about this already, please let me know where! Otherwise let's hear your best paddock/barn find stories......
Surprised Surprised Surprised
CarreraRS2.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a barnyard thread that was started a while ago, I can't remember where it is though.

Gigi: Saturn Yellow 1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

El Barto: Rosso 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwluver74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found my 29 chevy coupe in all original complete condition in a chicken house. not a vw, but still rare Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a very early Jaguar convertible in complete original condition, and it's still there today afaik. In the same barn there is a '55ish BMW Isetta ragtop. Also found a 64 Walkthru Kombi closeby, sitting with a '68 Westy.

Best one was a '66 Westy, all original, original owner, had the original westy roofrack as well. I wasn't into buses at the time (12 years ago) and passed it up. It was offered to me for $50.00.....doh!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this '61 15 window in a Barn. The guy that told me about it noticed my VW shirt & looked at my truck and figured I was a VW fan.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really cool pic Glenn! Shocked What's the story?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most legendary barn find I know of was John Henry's 11E Splitty. But the telling of that tale is up to him. Very Happy
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some acquaintances of a friend said they found a split camper at this guys house he would sell for 600 bucks. Said they were gonna part it out for their crappy panel. So, naturally we had to try and find it to check it out. (They wouldn't say where except for the neighborhood) Turns out, it's an all origianl 67 Westy with 68,000 original miles, original owner in perfect condition. No way were we gonna let those knuckelheads take it apart, so we paid the guy cash on the spot and had AAA come tow it to my house. Shady? Maybe. But it felt like the thing to do to save it from sure ruin. So, after a few weeks of ownership, we sold it to another (good) bus guy for 3500. A week later, he went back to the guys house to pick up the title they guy finally found and wouldn' ya know it, the guy says "Oh, and here's the rack for it and the tent I forgot I had". Shocked Are you kidding me!? That was about 6 or 7 years ago and I still kick myself over that one. The 21 window for 900 with an NOS middle seat is another story.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some acquaintances of a friend said they found a split camper at this guys house he would sell for 600 bucks. Said they were gonna part it out for their crappy panel. So, naturally we had to try and find it to check it out. (They wouldn't say where except for the neighborhood) Turns out, it's an all origianl 67 Westy with 68,000 original miles, original owner in perfect condition. No way were we gonna let those knuckelheads take it apart, so we paid the guy cash on the spot and had AAA come tow it to my house. Shady? Maybe. But it felt like the thing to do to save it from sure ruin. So, after a few weeks of ownership, we sold it to another (good) bus guy for 3500. A week later, he went back to the guys house to pick up the title they guy finally found and wouldn' ya know it, the guy says "Oh, and here's the rack for it and the tent I forgot I had". Are you kidding me!? That was about 6 or 7 years ago and I still kick myself over that one. The 21 window for 900 with an NOS middle seat is another story
Man, stories like that really make me sick.........no not really, cry is more like it!
Boosted75Mini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I love these pictures... makes me want to drive up to my uncles house and go through his 3 barns... I know there was an all original Cosworth Vega in there, a 69 Dodge Swinger, a 67 Camaro and several other cars
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just this past week browsing thru the local buy/swap paper an ad for a Diesel fired ESPAR cabin heater.. NEW... $40.. Shocked
PROMPTLY call the next day.. fella says.. yeah they're in the back barn
THEY'RE??

yeah I have 4 of them.. Exclamation Shocked

I'll be right over.. talk with fella, hem and haw.. 3 New IN Box shelf wear(dust) 1 previously installed, 4 installation kits, 2 thermostats, and instruction books.. bought all 4 for the price of 3..

have a buncha Diesel campers to install into. (dad's & mine)

Was a auction buy lot from a Diesel equipment service center back in 1983..
retail on Ebay right now is $500~ each..
just had to share the find..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my last good barnfind was 7 years ago. it included a ghia vert, a '65 standard bus and a '60 mango double door standard complete with a nice double flipper middle seat.
i got the standard for 150 bucks loaded to the hilt with bus parts including an early middle and rear seat. another samba regular from penna. got the mango.
rustybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine just picked up a '61 Kombi he's got the story posted on his site, kinda interesting. Actually he has the Kombi listed here on the Samba if anyone's looking for a nice bus. '61 Kombi Bus Story

...Then the pavement ends, and after another four and a half miles you'll take a left on Loose as a Goose road".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one I missed out on:
About three years ago, I was in a local paint store when I overheard a man telling the employee that he had found a 1949 VW with the funny turn signal things on the side in a barn. He said that he knew nothing about Volkswagens and didn't know what to do with it. I told him to not cut it up and gave him my telephone number in case he decided to sell it. That was a mistake. I waited ten days and he never telephoned so I went to the paint store and asked the employee if he had decided to sell it and he said that he had sold it for $100. My mistake was not getting his telephone number and contacting him the next day.
This was a good deal:
Five or six years ago, a 1958 VW camper had been abandoned at a funky VW repair business near Chico when the owner gave up on it. I paid $150 for it and a CHP officer came to my house and recorded the VIN on one of three forms that I got at DMV. The forms were completed and left at the DMV, along with $37 for title and registration (not in DMVs computer), which arrived two weeks later.
It didn't have the camper interior or bumpers, but it had the side windows, front seats and two engines, the 1500cc one having been in real good shape and is currently in my 1963 camper.
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not my story but it's probrably one of the greatest barnfind stories ever...You just never know about them old VW drivers Shocked

http://coolcatcorp.com/millerauction/MillerAuction.html
Plantman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a find yet but a search. A guy I know told me that his uncle has a '53 beetle parked in his barn just down the road from me. I haven't been able to get hold of the uncle, he lives in FL part of the year. Sad . The guy doesn't know anything about the current condition, He just remembers riding in it when he was a kid and he's in his 40s now. On a side note, in the woods in back of my house is a '61 or '62 Vet hardtop vert. The woman who owns the property won't sell it and in fact moved it into the woods so people would quit asking her to sell it. Unfortunatly it is just going to spend the remainder of its existence in the woods, as least its restorable existance. It's not quite a parts car but soon will be. I want to post a pic in one of the Vet forums just to make them drool. Evil or Very Mad
David
Tylinol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest find ever was a Porsche Typ 12 Beetle prototype with perfect interior and OG paint.

Ok, not really. A friend of mine told me he has a couple ghias in the yard. One is 68-72 silver coupe, the other one is post-68 convertible.

72 Fiat 850 Spider - Finally alive and...oh wait, never mind...wait there it goes!...whoops, false alarm...oh - wait wait...nope, nothing.
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Barn Find? Reply with quote

When I was 19 my neighbor's Daughter took me out to their barn. Said she wanted to show me something. I used to drool over this Girl back then and so I gladly followed her. Once we were out there sitting on the very top of the stacked hay bales she decided to show me just were Heaven was! Whew, never did notice the "Oval" sitting over in the corner.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be amazed of all the old vw tucked away. I still have a untouched 62 vert that has been sitting for 30 years. I was thinking of selling it as a $15K hoodride since putting a narrowed beam on anything seems to increase the value $10k.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: