Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Muffler
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
omg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: '74 Muffler Reply with quote

I am trying to get the motor of my 74 Thing back together. It's the stock block rebuilt to 1640 and I will be running a Weber 2bbl on it. It will be hooked up to a freeway flyer trans. Everything else is pretty much stock (with the exception of a wider cooling fan and an alternator.) I've stripped and repainted or cleaned every part that can be unbolted from the engine, and am almost ready to get everything assembled. A while ago I purchased one of the exhaust systems from the Thing Shop, the one with 2 mufflers that tuck up along the cylinders (It's still new in the bag.) The more I think about it, the more it seems like this will complicate my valve adjustments. Thus I've been thinking about throwing on something closer to stock. My question is, would a stock Type 1 muffler fit, and still exit through the bumper, or will I have to pony up the extra $$$ for a Thing-specific one? Or, are my fears unwarranted and will I be able to get to the valves easily? I'll be running the heater boxes. Any opinions would be appreciated!!
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not be able to get to the valves easily -- trust me, I have that system and it's going off as soon as my new header arrives.

If you want a split header design, go stock with this:

http://www.vwispwest.com/cgi-bin/perlshop.cgi?ACTI...=290499745

The problem is that you have a '74 and the stock '73 system didn't have heat.

This pretty much leaves you with the stock '74 system if you want the pipes exiting the bumper

http://germanmotorworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=341

or this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=182538

Gene Berg also makes a nice header system for the Thing, but their web site doesn't have pricing info.
Bowman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Muffler Reply with quote

omg1 wrote:
Or, are my fears unwarranted and will I be able to get to the valves easily? I'll be running the heater boxes. Any opinions would be appreciated!!

I have an S&S exhaust on a '74 as well. You are correct in that valve adjustments will be a total PITA. Doable, but a PITA. Also the alignment of the S&S with the holes through the exhaust is not perfect.

My friend has the last exhaust listed above:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=182538

He is very happy with the fit, sound and quality of this exhaust. I'm thinking about getting one myself but my JetHot coated S&S system just won't rust out. D@rn you all to heck, JetHot, for working. A few years ago the S&S system was the best thing going, now there are better choices.

Thanks,

Kevin
'74 VW Thing
'76 VW Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
omg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I was kind of afraid that the mufflers would be pretty close to the valves. I figured maybe I could use anti-seize on everything and loosen and move them out of the way for valve adjustments. The muffler in the link looks pretty nice, maybe I'll start saving my pennies for one of those.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go back to the original set up, look at this:
http://germanmotorworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=341
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: