Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Quote:
we also have all of the papers detailing the build with 2 complete cars so if there is any question we can answer it

Apparently he didn't mean it. Or, "can" is not equivalent to "will".

This is a discussion forum. Participate in the discussion and you might find a few more folks interested in your beautiful and unusual but not at all expensive or exclusive VW kit cars....but just a few. Sharing info on what commercially available glass is used wont threaten your business's plans. Posting evasive non-answers to inquiries from the very few who own these cars and are enthusiasts, might.

^^^ did I ever say how much I respect this guy & his input? Very Happy

Maybe the parties involved in the Magnum GT are hoping against hope to have 2 cars built that will bring $200k Each at Barret - Jackson?

bnc
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly just another group of people with grand plans that will never get off the ground. Add this to the likes of Bradley, Sterlings, Valkyries, etc . There is not enough of a demand to put these into production. Can they sell a handful? Sure, but that will be about it, and eventually the molds will be sold to someone else.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both of these ass clowns are full of shit. Can you tell I'm annoyed?? Is it apparent? Hmm. And if they ARE the actual owners of the rights to produce the kit, they've clearly demonstrated what sort of tech support they have to offer.

I say lock this thing down and let these two dumb shits just go away. :fist:

Wow, I feel better! Very Happy

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
SpyderMag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Magnum GT Replica - looking for info Reply with quote

I worked with Lyle Mader to get my Magnum GT in 1984 when it was still in the development stage. I visited Wayne Jacobson's shop in California where the bodies were being fabricated. When I saw the changes they were making to the Karma, (which is what they started out with), I was impressed and ordered one right away. But, to the best of my knowledge there never was a manual or any printed assembly instructions. After assembling it per instructions given over the phone and in a couple more face to face meetings, I drove it for 15 years and loved it. I am in the process of rebuilding it and making a few improvements.

I have been searching for information about the windshield for at least 5 years. I also don't understand why it's such a big secret!

If you want to sell parts instead of provide information, let me know.
talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit; I always find the 'kit car' guys funny; their perspective on life in general.

these guys talk about 'rights to' and their 'designs' etc.

I kind of wonder if they realize that a kit car is generally 'borrowed' ideas from everywhere else (ie molds made from original car? chassis parts and components are always purchased etc).

but of course ............ they will explain how they made it 'their own' and how no one should copy it Question

the whole car scene is dying; young people just don't seem to be interested anymore. Maybe it is cost? Maybe it is something to do with individuals like Kylin? (their games just aren't transparent; they seem to only want people to bleed money for their benefit)

V-dubbers are different..........we share, we help each other and are always looking for new friends. Just go to any vw show.....the people are just 'real'.

Kylin I think your 'game' is weak, dishonest and I am sure your car venture will go down in flames...........your behavior obviously shows that you don't understand your potential customers.

this is a forum for discussion, ideas and sharing............not 'games' and trying to generate business interests.

maybe you could post in the classifieds; but then again, not sure if you really have anything to sell?
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not "Kit Car" guys in general. I have been involved in kit cars in some form or another for over 20 years. The kit car industry died in the early 90s and left a lot of cool cars behind. Most people are very helpful. Its when you get someone who most likely spent WAY more money then they should have on a set of molds, tooling, top secret build documents on a car that they will never recoop their money on that you run into the jokers.

The guys who has prospered such as Factory 5 have done so because they are innovative and think outside the box. They are catering to a new generation.

I believe the windshield is a pinto as some have said. Quick little google search and comparison . That did not require anything but 3 minutes of my time. The same time it would have took Kylin to answer the question.

But hey it is their business hahah

talon wrote:
I must admit; I always find the 'kit car' guys funny; their perspective on life in general.

these guys talk about 'rights to' and their 'designs' etc.

I kind of wonder if they realize that a kit car is generally 'borrowed' ideas from everywhere else (ie molds made from original car? chassis parts and components are always purchased etc).

but of course ............ they will explain how they made it 'their own' and how no one should copy it Question

the whole car scene is dying; young people just don't seem to be interested anymore. Maybe it is cost? Maybe it is something to do with individuals like Kylin? (their games just aren't transparent; they seem to only want people to bleed money for their benefit)

V-dubbers are different..........we share, we help each other and are always looking for new friends. Just go to any vw show.....the people are just 'real'.

Kylin I think your 'game' is weak, dishonest and I am sure your car venture will go down in flames...........your behavior obviously shows that you don't understand your potential customers.

this is a forum for discussion, ideas and sharing............not 'games' and trying to generate business interests.

maybe you could post in the classifieds; but then again, not sure if you really have anything to sell?

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...maybe the Sweet Meteor of Death will hit the Earth soon & we can no longer have these discussions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now - back to IMPORTANT matters... was that dress REALLY Blue & Black?

Laughing

bnc
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solution to the scenario described above:

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/010/cache/moon-buggy_1097_990x742.jpg

Plans for this kit car are free. Suit that goes with it is $1.5 mil. See me about that....
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I have a solution to the scenario described above:

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/010/cache/moon-buggy_1097_990x742.jpg

Plans for this kit car are free. Suit that goes with it is $1.5 mil. See me about that....

hahahahaha
SpyderMag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Magnum GT Information Reply with quote

I am quite positive the windshield in the Magnum GT is not from a Pinto. The Pinto windshield is very flat, and this is curved. Also the manufacturer ID on the glass is "Made in West Germany - SIGLA" with numbers and symbols. I have done research online with the full ID tag, and have come up with no clear answer.

Just by appearance alone, I could believe that this windshield came out of a 911, but then I would still need to find out what year.

If anyone here knows a website that could link the car with a windshield based on the glass manufacturer's ID on the windshield, please let me know.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Information Reply with quote

SpyderMag wrote:
... I have done research online with the full ID tag, and have come up with no clear answer.

You could spend hours doing "research" and never find it. I would take a very clear photo of the ID and numbers on the windshield and go to a glass shop that does autoglass.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 911 windshield

kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Kelmark is pinto front and rear. the Magnum could be 911 or something.
SpyderMag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the ID from the windshield on my Magnum:

[/img]
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we figured it out before the "Rights" holder of the car hahahaha
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - Magnum has 911/912 windshield -

When is body production starting?

bnc
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Yep - Magnum has 911/912 windshield -

When is body production starting?

bnc

Maybe we can just do that too? We can call it a didget GT Smile
SpyderMag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it seems obvious to you guys that the Magnum windshield is from a 911. I can certainly see the similarities between the two IDs, but lets not get carried away congratulating ourselves; I also see differences.

I doubt if all 911 windsheilds are identical. So if anyone can decifer the rest of the ID to tell which year 911, I will be most grateful. I have taken that photo to every auto glass shop in my town, and no one was able to answer the question. It amazes me that somehow that is not enough information for them to identify what car it came from.

No offense now, you guys have been really helpful, but maybe I should take this to a Porsche forum.

However, I am still interested to find out if there may be Magnum GT spare parts available. PM me if you are willing to sell any of the parts.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magnum would have used the 911/912 windshield from the first-gen 911/912's, built from 1965 to 1989. (aka, the '901 series' in the original Porsche records, until Peugeot got mad).

The 1965 to ~1984 cars used Sigla windshields; later cars tended to use Sekurit from factory. (from my records). Shape & tooling of glass is the same whether Sigla or Sekurit, but early Euro car windshields were not laminated safety glass like U.S. DOT-approved glass.

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: