Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starts Instantly .... the first time only
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Starts Instantly .... the first time only Reply with quote

Due to the number of VW's in my fleet I rotate them around. When, after a week at the side of the house, it's time to fire up my 66 bug (new 1600 DP with 30/31 carb, SVDA distributor from Aircooled.net ) it starts instantly. I pull it out, park it out of the way, shut it off, and pull my 70 out of the garage to make room for the 66.
When I try to start the 66 now, the engine spins normally but takes forever to catch, and then even with the throttle held to the floor it's as though it's running on one cylinder.... then two ..... then three.... and finally it's running normally.

After that, it's less of a problem, but still .... I come out of the grocery store after letting it sit for 20 minutes and it sometimes just takes forever to catch. (After setting the choke with a single floorboard push of the accelerator).

On the road the engine performs beautifully; no hesitation, no flat spots... just runs great.

I could understand the reluctance to start after sitting for a week... but instant start in that regard and then being hard to start the second time?
khoranoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 is the same way, interested so se if there is any fix for this.
khoranoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 is the same way, interested so se if there is any fix for this.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is the engine is flooding, weak coil voltage, bad needle and seat valve, too high fuel pressure

check your fuel pressure and make sure its about 2.5lbs.
when you try to start it the second/ 3rd time - push and hold the throttle wide open as you crank it see if that helps.
check voltage at the coil amke sure its 6 or 12V +, check the coil ohms.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same deal with my 40hp. I mostly drive it on weekends; I go out, step the accelerator to the floor, press in the clutch, let my foot totally off the gas, then start it... Boom, it starts immediately. When I get where I am going and then have to restart, it turns a scary number of times before it will fire limply (like you said, one cylinder at a time).

So far, I have replaced the coil, plugs and wires, re-timed the distributor, rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the VW fuel pump, and next would be the points and condenser, although mine look fine.

However, last week I fought the urge to touch the accelerator at all after the engine was warm. Normally, I hold the pedal down, or pump the gas to try to get it going. Anyway, I just got in, pressed the cutch only in, and turned the key. It boomed right to life. I did it again at home when it was time to re park the cars, and it worked. I figured I must have been flooding it a bit, so volksheime may have it. But again, try NOT doing anything with the gas pedal and see if that works.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the owners manuals, VW instructs to press the pedal only slightly while cranking a warm engine. I found it was best not to touch it at all when warm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pressing it squirts a jet through the accel pump nozzle. Moreover, the electric choke cools down far faster than the engine. So if you even TOUCH the gas pedal on a warm engine, you allow the choke plate to partially close off again, even though it is not needed. Now you have a double-rich mixture for starting. The poor running is due to the rich mixture which probably fouls the plugs, and so you are not firing on all cylinders until it dries off.

It's an old habit but fight it... no gas pedal at all other than that first start of the day.
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Starts Instantly .... the first time only Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable.
I'll try keeping my foot away from the gas pedal for the second start.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Starts Instantly .... the first time only Reply with quote

doc hopper wrote:
Sounds reasonable.
I'll try keeping my foot away from the gas pedal for the second start.

The accelerator pump is a "leaky" pump. If you push the throttle slowly, the fuel leaks back into the float bowl before it gets lifted to the delivery tube in the top of the carb. If you push the throttle fast, the fuel gets pushed up fast enough to reach the delivery tube.

So for cold starts... push the throttle down smartly once and let it go. This puts a single shot of fuel down the throat, and also sets the fast idle cam to hi-idle, and sets the choke to ON.

For warm starts... press the throttle slowly (so the accel pump does not operate) and hold it part way open (no pumping the throttle) whilst you crank the engine. That way you get a good flow of air into the engine, but no extra fuel, so it's less likely to flood.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for grins when it won't start try popping off the fuel cap.

I went thru replacing and rebuilding fuel pumps all to find out the stupid original gas cap made a vacuum.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father has two 65's and he always reminds me to press the gas pedal once for a cold start and never touch the pedal again, unless the car sits for more than 6hrs.

Never given me any issues, the few random times I've driven them Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: