Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bringing it back to life
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73ThingNorCal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Well we just got the new engine installed and running on the Thing. We replaced the crappy aftermarket air filter with the original oil bath which came in a box when we purchased the Thing. We installed a new two tip, bumper exit exhaust. The sound is great, much better than before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We also rebuilt the seats with new padding and covers, they turned out great. There was the usual rust under the battery, so we cut out the cancer and welded in a patch panel. Now its on to body and paint. The Thing was in a front end collision before we purchased it. The front apron was all screwed up and alot of work needed to be done. We drilled out all the spot welds, straightened everything and welded it all back together. Its not perfect, but we aren't going for a show-car. The rest of the body is in fairly good shape. A little bit of filler here and there, a bunch of sanding and rust treatment.

We've been kicking around a couple ideas for paint. We are trying to do the body/paint in a timely fashion as it is my brothers main source of transportation to work and school. First was a temporary rattle can job. Then we found the rustoleum roll-on job http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159142 .

Now I'm really thinking we should just spend a little more and do the paint right. I already have a SATA Jet NR2000 spray gun I purchased to paint my 67 Camaro. It was my first paint job and I used a metallic paint. Definately didn't come out the way I wished. Live and learn. I'm thinking we'd go a simple enamel based BC/CC system. We're looking for it to be reasonably inexpensive yet still come out with a good finish which will last a while. I have heard OMNI is a good cheap automotive paint system, any experiences with this or any other cheaper paint systems?

I already experimented on a door using Rustoleum professional enamel rattle can paint. It didn't come out too bad, but I doubt it would last long and it would be a pain to remove just to do it the right way down the road.

Any suggestions on a good paint system that will be fairly easy to use, look nice, will last a while and not break the bank?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited by 73ThingNorCal on Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go camo? You could create some nice patterns to work into the colors. Camo soft tops are even available. Even go with camo for the seats.

Your thing is looking good, how does the exhaust sound? I have been looking at that type for mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
73ThingNorCal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment. Its getting there, its come a long way in a short amount of time. I updated my gallery with pics of some of the work we've done to it.

The big question on my mind is if we want it looking half way decent and on the road or take a little more time and try to do it the right way. The rattle-can/roll-on approach gets more appealing the more i think about setting up a paint booth, getting all the thinners right, making sure the flash times are correct, making sure my gun is set to atomize properly, etc. But then, what good is having a paint gun if you don't use it? I guess we'll have time to make that decision while we're working out all the body imperfections.

The exhaust sounds incredible, its a real deep distinct sound. Ill try to take a video clip of it running and post it on youtube or something. I'll let you know if I do. IMO, it is definately worth the $200~ for that exhaust. Still need to put more high-temp paint on it. Thinking we might switch to a silver with a high-temp gloss.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will look like shi* unless you put it in clean booth. You will always be able get your investment back on great paint spend all you can possibly afford. Don’t use to much off that big can of Bondo Smile

Here is stuff I found on the internet once, It helped my first paint.

http://members.tripod.com/~bobstory/faq.html

Last edited by Thingggg on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
73ThingNorCal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the how-to. I've been through all the body/paint work before, but that was 6 years ago when I did my Camaro for my 16th b-day. I was trying to get the paint done too quick then. I was painting it the day of my b-day, had to take a break for my drivers license test, came back and finished. Re-assembled everything that night and drove it. I rushed the paint waaay too much. I spent 4 months before that spending 4-8 hours a day doing all the body work and block sanding the whole car. Again, live and learn. I still know the ins and outs of body work. Bondo isn't my preferred filler, but it will work ok if applied right.

I think we've decided on a rattle-can/roll-on job since it needs to be on the road ASAP. It will hold up ok for a year (sealing the car from rain, preventing rust). Next summer we will start early, have it media blasted and do everything right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: