Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

100K Badges
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: 100K Badges Reply with quote

Are these 100K badges real or reproductions? How can I tell the difference?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Back side. Not the greatest pic...

Last edited by nlorntson on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me the back side. Wink
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to the original post. I'll see if I can get a better one later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...........simple answer: They are both fakes. The St. Christopher lacks detal around the letters and laurel leaves. Easy check is the dots between the leaves. They are not sharp and lack defination. The letters " E" in Kilometer are rough and not precise. St. Christopher looks almost bald and the Christ child has no face. It is a '60's cast piece.

The body badge is also a fake. The leaves lack the detail and the letters are not precise. These badges should be as sharp as a die struck coin and have no casting flaws or weak detail. The reverse of the body badge should have the maker mark "tweer&turck....Ludenscheid.. on the bottom of the badge. The originals are so sharp on the edges.......you can cut yourself with them... They also have beautiful finish....not the "mat" finish of your examples.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Sad
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot.......the originals are very thin. Thinner than you would expect, because the metal is a much higher quality.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing I didn't pay any $. They came a box with a bunch of other parts a guy sold us.

Thanks Bob!
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Good thing I didn't pay any $. They came a box with a bunch of other parts a guy sold us.

Thanks Bob!

I'm glad too........the real badges are really quite rare when you consider how many cars must have qualified. The British re-poped them in the 60's and once you have seen the originals you can spot the fakes across a room........but most people are never given that opportunity and the fakes have taken on a life of their own. There are "good" fakes and bad ones. The ones you posted are in the good catagory. Unless you have been a collector for years and know the differences........those are really quite nice and are traded for around $80 all the time. The real badges sell for around $200 and are cheap at that price.
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
OK...........simple answer: They are both fakes. The St. Christopher lacks detal around the letters and laurel leaves. Easy check is the dots between the leaves. They are not sharp and lack defination. The letters " E" in Kilometer are rough and not precise. St. Christopher looks almost bald and the Christ child has no face. It is a '60's cast piece.

The body badge is also a fake. The leaves lack the detail and the letters are not precise. These badges should be as sharp as a die struck coin and have no casting flaws or weak detail. The reverse of the body badge should have the maker mark "tweer&turck....Ludenscheid.. on the bottom of the badge. The originals are so sharp on the edges.......you can cut yourself with them... They also have beautiful finish....not the "mat" finish of your examples.

Bob, you never fail to amaze me on you knowledge of these early badges Wink Awesome Info!!
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kafer53 wrote:
53 0val wrote:

Bob, you never fail to amaze me on you knowledge of these early badges Wink Awesome Info!!

Thanks Paul..........but that's the "short" version. Having collected badges for over 30 years helps, but the knowledge still is "updated" feequently. Reproduction techniques are improving all the time.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: St Christopher Medal Reply with quote

This is what came with my 100,000 presentation set

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early sets came with a beautiful VW embossed folder, with a certificate, a stickpin, and both badges with screws.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Real I hope? Reply with quote

My picture probably isn't good enough to see all the detail.

This the first time it has been out of the wrapper.

It looks like it has darkened with age.

The one in my car has turned almost black (dark gray)

On both you can clearly see Christs face and the dots between the leaves.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will also note that on Dan's example the St. Christropher's left leg is distinct and on the first example it's almost an after-thought. The hand holding the staff has clear and distinct fingers as well. Also notice how well the letters are formed. St. Christopher's beard should have clear and seperate hairs visable too as well a curl to his hair at nose level. The color "blue" is very much like the blue used by Hazet screwdriver handles. It is very obvious when compared with a known fake.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be showing the differences at the Solvang Toy and Lit show......drop by and I will happy to "educate" you.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay its real !

And the one in my car is real too!

Click on the picture and detail is much better.

Again, the value comparing the fake with the real thing.

Dan
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: RE- pop Reply with quote

I removed the body badge from my car and looked on the back.

Its a fake, no writing.

Oh well. It looks good anyway.

At least the St Christopher badges are real.

Dan
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RE- pop Reply with quote

dantrefethen wrote:
I removed the body badge from my car and looked on the back.

Its a fake, no writing.

Oh well. It looks good anyway.

At least the St Christopher badges are real.

Dan

Not all the body badges had the trade mark. Your next concern would be the finish. If it's a mat finish with no shine to the leaves and the letters, it's probably fake. Look for the same quality to the 0's as on the other badge. They must be the same. After about 1963 the trademark went away but the quality remained the same. The real body badges has a luster that the fakes can't match. They should be the same thickness as well. Remember the real badges are quite thin. If it's the same thickness as your other badge Dan.......it's probably one of the later originals. They do not sell for as high of price as the marked badges but they are still correct.
The "berries" in the leaves must be distince as well.. Both your badges should be consistant in quality and then you are probably still ok.

Wink
71er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 100K Badges Reply with quote

Hello,
All two are genuine. there is not reproduction divides. the two divide are 100% originals!
Cool

nlorntson wrote:
Are these 100K badges real or reproductions? How can I tell the difference?

Back side. Not the greatest pic...

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. There seems to be a differenc of opinion. I'm gonna see about some better pictures and let you both take another look.

Thanks.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Different opinion Reply with quote

My money is on Bob.

He has been collecting for a very long time

And knows his stuff.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: