Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

100K Badges
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 3 100.000 kilometer badges Reply with quote

Vert1965 wrote:
Hello,

Very cool that you can ask questions here. I have 3 badges. They all seem early to me (but i am not the expert that is why i am here Wink )

Are my badges the first editions? Pity that on the back one mountingpin has broken on both badges. And what is the value?

Also the VW badge seems NOS to me. Perfect nice chrome. Where was this one mounted? I understand on the outside?

For pics see this advertisement: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1083846

I do not know how to add pics here, so did it this way.

Thanks for your answers!!
[/list]

Both badges pictured are original and both are early. The VW badge is usually mounted low on the right front quarter panel just behind the right front wheel. Prices vary with condition and demand. The St. Christopher is being sold now for around $250 in good condition and the marked VW badge in that condition should sell for around $300. Both these badges were issued thru 1951 so they are for a Split The curve to the St. Christopher doesn't work well on an Oval dash but the outside badge could fit nicely if you wanted to put it on a later car. There are several pictures in here that show placement. There is no "correct" place to mount them. Remember, since these badges were changed with the advent of the Oval, it is possible that your early car could have taken several years to reach !00K and you would have then been issued the later badge set. The later badges are "correct" for early cars, but the early badges are not correct on later cars, Wink

Last edited by 53 0val on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds oke, so mine will be a little less because the mountingscrew is missing. The badge itself looks very nice! The VW badge looks like new. Would look nice on my 55 oval.

Pity that the Christophers does not fit on the dash very well, maybe i will mount it on the speaker grill!

Thanks, now i am sure that this is the real deal and My biggest question was were to put the VW badge!

Thanks
BelgiumGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, i think this is a repro or not ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thnx,
Guy
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a repo and a very crude one Guy, The berries are too large and spaced incorrectly. The number 1 should be above the K.
Mr.Bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: some other badges Reply with quote

Need your expert opion again, are these original?

Regards Bertus

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: some other badges Reply with quote

Mr.Bubblehead wrote:
Need your expert opion again, are these original?

Regards Bertus

IMO.................no. Both are obviously cast and not die struck. There is no detail on the St. Christopher. The belt should show that it is a rope. The left arm is too fat. The screw holes are not finished correctly. The body badge is the wrong finish (too dull)........there is no maker mark on the reverse and the leaves show poor detail. Both badges could fool most no-collectors. I might put them on a car, but I would not put them in a badge collection. Wink
Mr.Bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on my 60 it is, hahaha Cool
I wasn't sure about the st christopher, but i already thought the VW badge was fake. But like you said, looks oke on the bug.

Thanks again! It is great to get this info so fast! Very Happy
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up another badge following the normal methods of verifying authenticity (ie. dots,rope,legs, stars, baby head etc.) and everything looks right on this one except one thing is different...... I'm sure you all will pick it out in a matter of seconds.....

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like the color, but that might my computer's issue. The ring around the center area is too thick. The only thing that REALLY stands out is the hallmark on the reverse. Very interesting anomaly.... Confused
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality I think the color is correct. My picture kinda washes it out and makes it lighter than it really is. What I noticed though is the inscription on the backside. I almost appears as if it were done seperately because it appears as if it were struck at a different time. It reads Tweersturck Ludenscheid ( I think ludenscheid is a place in Germany)
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
In reality I think the color is correct. My picture kinda washes it out and makes it lighter than it really is. What I noticed though is the inscription on the backside. I almost appears as if it were done seperately because it appears as if it were struck at a different time. It reads Tweersturck Ludenscheid ( I think ludenscheid is a place in Germany)

It is a most interesting badge. Apart from the thickness of the ring surrounding the figures, it's dead on. Perhaps the rim was "flattened" a little when the hallmark was stamped into the reverse. This particular badge could be from number of prototypes submitted to VW for quality control. I've seen this before with other examples. I'd keep this badge. Wink
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
First I opened a wrong thread and now I post it here Embarassed

I recently bought this badge. The seller says it comes from Heissich Oldendorf.
I wonder if it is authentic or not
How to recognize if it is original or replica? year?

(diameter 52 mm = 2.05 inch.)

Reading this thread I think that it's a fake o replica but,... what year? is possible to date it?

Luckily, I don`t paid too much for it

thank you very much

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pegasín wrote:
Hi!
First I opened a wrong thread and now I post it here Embarassed

I recently bought this badge. The seller says it comes from Heissich Oldendorf.
I wonder if it is authentic or not
How to recognize if it is original or replica? year?

(diameter 52 mm = 2.05 inch.)

Reading this thread I think that it's a fake o replica but,... what year? is possible to date it?

Luckily, I don`t paid too much for it

thank you very much

Sorry, but it is a reproduction. The St. Christopher and its corresponding body badge came out in the late 60's, usually in a small bag with a set of slotted screws. The complete set sells for about $50.
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
Many thanks
I bought only the badge by a little less than that price
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution to that thread...

A few days ago, talking about my 100k badge with a friend of mine, he showed me his. Obviously it's a fake but it has a curios detail that makes it a bit interesting.

Yes, it's a fake, not good, but it don´t conceals Wink

At the left you can read "NADAL": this word means "Christmas" in galego, an special speech from Galicia ( a region in the northwest of Spain) and in the rigth, the date 2001. At down, the shape of a Volkswagen Beetle and the word "Escaravello", also in galego, it means "Beetle". That badge was a present for a meeting by the Escaravello Club of Galicia

Another club had the same idea to edit a badge like that?
Mr.Bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: 200.000 km badges WOW!!! Reply with quote

I am happy like a little child. I just bought these 2 200.000 km badges Cool
These are original ones and very hard to find because there are so few of them existing.
You got these badges if you drove 200.000 km with the bug with the original engine. You can imagine that these were not given out a lot because they stopped producing the 100k and 200k badges in 1961 (correct me if i am wrong). So basicly you had to drive about 20.000 km each year to get this badge (which, i asume, was a lot back in the days, at least in Europe).
And then also with the same engine (which is not impossible;-))

Somewhere here on the samba they are talking about 4 existing sets are known, so mine would be number 5 hihihi. Kidding, i have no idea how many there are still out there, i asume a lot more, but very happy with my rarest of the rare set!

Oh and also bought 2 100K badges that were included in the deal. But i have enough of those now;-) So i think they will be on sale.
The 100k body (VW) badge, does not seem to be 100% original. But it is a nice one!

And Bob (53 oval) helped me out to make sure these are the OG ones! Thanks Bob!!

But stop talking and some pictures

[/u]
Dries Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,
let us make this old topic back to life.
Is this original or repro?

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dries Adams wrote:
Hi ,
let us make this old topic back to life.
Is this original or repro?

That's good.
Dries Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another
No stamp TWEER&TURCK LUDENSCHEID
OG or repro ?

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dries Adams wrote:
Another
No stamp TWEER&TURCK LUDENSCHEID
OG or repro ?

OG in this case............Later production, just not as desirable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: