Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for opinions and suggestions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Two-tone: Just fenders or Rockers as well?
Just Fenders
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fenders With Rockers
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
All One Color
85%
 85%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 14

73ThingNorCal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Looking for opinions and suggestions Reply with quote

I'm looking for your opinions on a color scheme for our 73 Thing. My brother really wants a two-tone scheme. First idea he had was beige (Pro Almond from rustoleum) with a deep green (Hunter Green). Below are some crude photoshop airbrush outlines of the scheme my brother was initially interested in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also did one with the hunter green running the rocker panels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once again, sorry for the crude airbrush. The one door which isn't brushed is one I shot with Rustoleum Pro Almond rattle can, didn't come out to bad. How we are painting the Thing has become another debate all in itself. Also open to suggestions on that.

Anyone have pics of Things using a two-tone scheme? Any opinions on these colors? Its ultimately my brothers decision, but differing opinions and pictures of other two-tone Things are definately nice.

Thanks!
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd want to do the whole rocker panel, but it looks good. Green bumpers would make it "flow" a lot better too. Cool
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for opinions and suggestions Reply with quote

I've always felt that the mishmash of angles and straight lines on the Thing was only made more frenzied by a two-tone paint scheme. I vote for a sodid color - or, perhaps consider doing green outside and tan inside.

Also, IHMO the green and tan combo carries with it some connotations: to me they say either old English sports car or Eddie Bauer Edition. Wink

But do what you want. What's most important is that you're getting your car on the road. We all love that. And for what it costs for a rattle-can paint job, you can afford to experiment. If you try the two-tone and end up not liking it, you can always do a quick color change.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My street car 73 Thing project was made the two tone rockers and fenders black and rest f the car Orange. I canhardly wait to get it all one color again.. I understand the point of the two tone fenders and rockers but as has been stated. Too busy for a car with so many corners....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter green with a tan interior.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for opinions and suggestions Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
I've always felt that the mishmash of angles and straight lines on the Thing was only made more frenzied by a two-tone paint scheme. I vote for a sodid color - or, perhaps consider doing green outside and tan inside.

Here's my 3 tone:

http://veewiki.com/IanEpperson?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Scrappy-in_grass.jpg
(TS just won't do an inline of this image - feh!)

The rocker paint really helped to pop the stripes. It was important that the stripes break any of the existing lines, and I love how it came out.

I like the paint on the rockers.

Captain Spalding wrote:
But do what you want. What's most important is that you're getting your car on the road.
Amen to that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: