Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does the engine tinware get hot enough to require heat resistant
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Does the engine tinware get hot enough to require heat resistant Reply with quote

Title says it all, can I paint the tinware with normal pearlescent paint and laquer or does it have to be painted with heat resistant stuff?
My bug build "Beelzebug" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7842613&highlight=#7842613
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: does the engine tinware get hot enough to require heat resistant Reply with quote

Depends on the engine and vehicle. In normal running...only the plates close to the muffler get more than about 125-150F with lots of air flowing through the engine compartment.

However once you shut down on a hot day...radiant heat soak can put a lot of the tin closer to 250+. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: does the engine tinware get hot enough to require heat resistant Reply with quote

So would I be ok painting it pearlescent red and laquered over the top, can I get heat resistant laquer, should I just chance it or should I spray it heat resistant. For what its worth its a 1.2 engine single carb and i live in England, not usually a really hot day.
My bug build "Beelzebug" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7842613&highlight=#7842613
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: does the engine tinware get hot enough to require heat resistant Reply with quote

Assuming you have the engine tunes properly, I dont see a problem, but we don't use lacquer much over here anymore. I use regular Rustoleum rattle can paint for my tins and never have an issue. Pretty sure its just a regular enamel
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Does the engine tinware get hot enough to require heat resistant Reply with quote

Yeah the paint I'm using requires,it and I'm putting a silver fleck mixed I the laquer, its how we did the interior and it worked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: