Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges - Post Pics!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing my VDO EGT gauge, and the gauge has male quick disconnect terminals.

The EGT sender wire has a wire with two bolts/nuts on the end. I got some micro-K connectors and some type-k 20' extension wire to extend from that.

However, I've been puzzled how VDO attaches those K wires to the two male terminals on the back of the EGT gauge?

I would imagine crimping on small quick female disconnects would change the value with the metals.

randywebb wrote:
solder it - like he said a butt connector is made of a different metal, so creates a new T'cple jct.

just wrap or double the wire around something to prevent the solder joint from being stressed as it is less flexible

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

These guys might be able to sell you what you need.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/avionics_...leads.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Dredging up a 7 year old post (and two days!) in hopes of following up on this;

kpbo wrote:
photos of the gauges in my TDI conversion project:
clock deleted, installed Westach dual sweep EGT / turbo boost gauge:

danfromsyr wrote:
Heya Kpbo, that's a NICE tach with the green part, what car is that from? where'd ya get it?
my TD tachs from mid 80s quantums & jettas don't have the grrn bit on the 2-2.5k portion.....

kpbo wrote:
...The tach is just a stock Vanagon tach with a photo overlay laminated to the face. On the TDI-conversion Yahoo group site, there are various digital image files of tach faces that folks have generously shared, along with instructions on how to modify your tach to receive the signal from the ECU. The only thing I did different was to photoshop a "D" on the fuel pump symbol Very Happy
I'm not all that happy with how it currently looks--you might have noticed that the overlay is peeling away from guage face at the bottom... too bad the tach is such a PITA to get to.

And yes--the fit behind the clock space is tight. I grafted on a square piece of PVC (~1/4" thick) to space the gauge 'out' a bit, as well as provide a smooth mounting surface for the bezel.

I like that tach face! kpbo if your out there, can you point a non TDI guy to the right way to those digital files?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joethebeekeeper01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I was able to make a 80's Toyota Speedometer fit in my Vanagon gauge cluster. Reads about 3mph low, but that is better than nothing at all!
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I used the VC kit for the oil pressure gauge.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Thought I had posted a pic already, but scrolling back through the thread, I guess not.

Left-to-right: 4-channel MGL Avionics CHT gauge, stock speedo, factory tach from a wasserboxer, vacuum gauge. Back row is oil temp, oil pressure and voltmeter. Front row is AFR, analog clock. Still debating about what to fill the last empty cup with: either fuel pressure or a second, post-cat AFR gauge. And I'm considering moving one of the gauges to the spot where the dead digital clock is. Convention says to put the clock there, but I'm thinking I should put the one I look at most, which is the AFR. Or I may just put this in there and figure out what two things to monitor with it later.

The back row is mounted in a VDO rubber "safety" mount, the front in some cheap Chinese pod cluster from ebay. Messy as all heck, don't care, gets the job done.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Had the shop make a custom bracket for 3 guages for the left side.

gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Custom dash for the Doka.
[/url]
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

well, it's German anyway... BMW R100RT of mine. dual CHT, working airspeed indicator, turn and bank, aviation compass (the only compass i've found that works on a motorcycle). my '87 Westy only has the T3 pod adapter for oil pressure and temp. but i put in red LEDs Smile

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Aloha all

I see this thread popped back up again, so I'm gonna add up to it!

I've been looking all over the internet for quite a few hours for some old school looking dual channel gauges , 52mm, like the Porsche 911.
I gave up.
I found some good looking ones that are with capillary tubes, but I want them electric (Smith-Racetech). I found some from aviation but that have no back lighting ( Swift and similar) and hard to read. I found electronic ones but are rather ugly and expensive but functional (Vei gauges), or too minimalist (Spa gauges). The digital ones from Auber are very good price wise, but I will need too many of them and they are rather deep.

Well, I have 7 parameters to monitor, and I finally started looking towards LCD gauges.
http://zada-tech.com/products/multi-gauges/43-full-colour-tft-graphical-lcd-multi-gauge

Link

These can display up to 6 parameters at once, and measure up to 16 with relay output to control a fan for example. I think I can make something decent looking and discreet out of that.

Does anybody have experience with these and want to share their thoughts?

Cheers!

P.S:for the D.I.Yers, here is a nice source http://www.4dsystems.com.au/?fref=gc&dti=1461439387474877
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

By dual channel do you mean a dual gauge in one housing. Look at Westach, they make all kinds of gauges, as well as special order.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

gumbajv wrote:
By dual channel do you mean a dual gauge in one housing. Look at Westach, they make all kinds of gauges, as well as special order.

I've seen them all man, these are found on Aircraftspruce as well. No back lighting. I'm gonna go the LCD screen way,it takes less room, lcd installed maybe off the sunvisor to keep it stock looking. I don't like stuff too much out of place on the van I'm building Wink
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Hey dude, let us know when you get that setup. Really interested to see how well it performs. It looks like it can either plug into the OBD wiring for the stock sensor data, or into their own proprietary sensors, which seem kinda pricey.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Here is my setup
Funkey but functional - made the fibergalss housing myself (obviously Wink
Top is boost. bottom is oil pressure. Center is a 4-way which is EGT, Water, Intake air, and transaxle temp.
Here is my Tiny-tach RPMs which also monitors engine hours.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Hey dude, let us know when you get that setup. Really interested to see how well it performs. It looks like it can either plug into the OBD wiring for the stock sensor data, or into their own proprietary sensors, which seem kinda pricey.

I'm probably gonna use the VDO sensor for temps, I think the range is the same, the Bosch Map sensor (I gotta ask them if that'll work) and the EGT probe from Auber instruments. They have very affordable stuff there ,of great quality).

Probably not gonna have it done soon, I have to finish the Syncro conversion to start the engine Rolling Eyes
mb
Samba Member

Location: Nuremberg - hometown of the 1931/-32 Volkswagen Porsche Type 12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Zanzinger Automotive Technology

exclusive & handmade holder for additional displays for the VW Vanagon
The assembly takes place in place of the original ashtray.
NO additional holes need to be drilled for installation
As with the ashtray, it is fastened using correspondingly bent sheet metal tabs made of spring steel (stainless steel).

Fits all T3 with the big leather dashboard (for example Bluestar, LLE, ...).

Delivery:

You will receive a pre-assembled holder as shown.
The surface is black and ready to paint (not painted).
The installation of two round instruments with 52 mm is prepared.
It is also possible to use three round instruments or e.g. to install a digital display. Instruments are not included.
88 Vanagon EJ22
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Something different. Cross post from build thread if want more details.

The mirror uses a bay window longer stalk, OEM mounting hole, has blue tooth and is hardwired to a reverse camera in the license plate.

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I finally finished my gauges project. This gauge set is from Speedhut and features a quad gauge on the left and a combined GPS speedo/tach on the right. I put the speedometer on the right because my height limits the visibility through the steering wheel, and I wanted to see the lower range of the speedometer better, and see the fuel level on the left easily.

These are 4" gauges with the bezels removed. By removing the bezels and taping (with electrical tape) the edge of the lens to the body, you gain the ability to mount the Speedhut gauges in the back of the existing Vanagon gauge housing with very little modification. This is as close to an OEM look you can get. I did have to dremel out some plastic in the housing body to make a perfect fit.

You can see how I used aluminum bar stock to make a simple strap that keeps the gauges in place. The strap has a bit of foam double-side adhesive on it to adhere to the gauges. When you are using these gauges you must be able to press firmly on the gauge buttons to set them up and reset the odometers, so this was an important part of the design.

I also used a 4mm x 93mm Buna-N 70 Metric O-ring (from theoringstore.com) between each gauge face (essentially floating on the lens) and the inside of the gauge housing bezel. This provides a rattle-free fit, cushioning, and friction to keep the gauge in place, plus it helps seal the face against any light infiltration from behind the gauge pod. I just floated the o-rings, but you could probably use a light adhesive to tack them in place in three of four spots.

My old gauges were in pathetic shape. The LCD clock was broken. The speedometer cable broke, so I had no function on that gauge, but it was inaccurate when it worked. The tachometer was off by about 20% (this is a Bostig conversion) and the water temp gauge has always bothered me because it is a relative (unlabeled) scale. How many threads have I read where people ask, "what temp gauge position is best?" and the answers are something like "just a hair past the red LED" or something along those lines. Enough with that. I wanted absolute temperature readings. Also, a voltmeter and oil pressure for the Bostig.

Another motive for fixing up the gauges was to get rid of the Ultragauge OBD display you see in the first two photos. That is a great display, but it puts glare on the windshield and I find digital numeric gauges to be less informative. Sweeping analog gauges are better at showing more information--the actual values, plus the rate of change. The UltraGauge was also dependent on the Bostig VSS for determining speed. The Speedhut unit is GPS based, so there are never any calibration issues.

The last part of this gauge refit was moving the Bostig MIL light to the lower left position of the six-light stack in the gauge center, and buying the SmallCar insert that offers a Check Engine logo.

One more thing about this conversion--i used the GoWesty blue foil replacement kit along with these Speedhut gauges. That made wiring the whole thing much easier, since the GoWesty kit comes with good instructions (including pinouts for the connectors) and each gauge has a wire that correlates with a gauge from Speedhut.

I had Speedhut advance the odometer to 240,000 miles (the current mileage on my rig) at the time of production--you can request that when you order.

One more note on this install: the Speedhut gauges come with two lighting circuits. One circuit illuminates the red sweep hands and the LCD odometer and is tied to the car's dash lighting circuit; it dims with the dash light dimmer rheostat. The other lighting circuit backlights the numbers on the faces and has its own dimmer rheostat. If you install the gauges in the manner I have done you don't need to use the second circuit that backlights the numbers, because the Vanagon's original gauge lighting system still illuminates the gauge faces extremely well. That simplifies the installation a little bit. I did install the second system, but I have discovered that it doesn't contribute much to the lighting.

The total cost was about $900 for the Speedhut and GoWesty components.

This was not an easy project. If you choose to do this on your own, you need to be good with a dremel and know your way around basic wiring techniques. I bought a cheap, used gauge set and cleaned it up nice with a polishing compound.

I hope some of you find this post useful.

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: