Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane tank update=finished product
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Propane tank update=finished product Reply with quote

Well, here she is in all her glory, my redone propane tank:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I picked up the new fill valve and shut off valve from PPL motorhomes online, cost was about 75 for both and I got them like next day (they ship fast!)

The bleeder valve is a compressor drain valve.

I redid the paint and installed the new valves and I did bring it to a propane fill/service shop. He looked the tank over well and tested it for me. He told me to mount it up and bring it back by and he would fill.

He was not real happy to see at first and was real surpised that I got my hands on the valves etc.. and was able to it myself. But he was pretty cool about it. I'm sure if I would have mounted it up and just brought it in they would not have even questioned it, as when I did bring it back it was some other guy (not the owner I dealt with before) and other than bitching because the van is so low, he didnt give a shit about the tank.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my propane tank out right now and wanted to repaint it. I was going to wash it, paint it with Por-15, then topcoat it with something (haven't decided yet) what did you use?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a setup like that on my '85 for eight or so years now. I got the inspiration from my '84 that has all the tank ports on the same plane, I guess pre AutoLeak days.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: The next time my propane tank comes off... Reply with quote

I'm going to have mine powdercoated. I removed it just after I bought Winston, pulled the valve, and treated the rust with Naval Jelly. Then I sanded it... and sanded it... and sanded it... And then spray-painted on three coats of Hammerite.

On the guard, at least, it's rusting through the Hammerite. Powder coating. Definitely.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
I have my propane tank out right now and wanted to repaint it. I was going to wash it, paint it with Por-15, then topcoat it with something (haven't decided yet) what did you use?

I actually went cheap and I may regret it! I used an epoxy spray paint for appliances. I know it sounds odd but I had some of that stuff when I bought a '71 westy with nasty bumpers sraypainted black. It matched the white on the van pretty well so for a quick and dirty job I sanded and painted the bumpers with that stuff. It actually heldup really well. So I figured I'd give it shot on this tank. it didn't work as well as on that bumper for some reason though, so well see how it holds up. I also was too lazy to breakout the sandblaster which I would reccommend if you have the means, it would do a nice job getting into the nook and crannies well as I bet some POR on the seams and where the brackets meet the tank would be a good idea as well.

This particular tank was another one I bought off a parted westy for like $25 so I have my OG to redo if needed. I'm thinking of having my Cushman scooter soda blasted, so maybe I'll stick that tank in with the scooter when it being done or something, I don't know how long till I start sandblasting parts again on either of the beetles in the garage!
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the method I was thinking of (Por-15ing then top coating)? It seem logical to me....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you POR15 follow the instructions. Use the metal prep for sure on the rusty spots. Rinse well with water. Use a FOAM brush to apply. Foam leavces no marks like a hair brush does. Don't bother to clean brush. Too nasty. Use the smallest cans as you can not reseal. I went the Rustoleum route. POR15 would be a notch up. I used POR15 on my 1959 Mercedes. Good stuff. My tank was far more dusty dirty than anything else, but did have some light rusting. So you choose. ANYTHING is better than what it is at this point in time.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: