Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoenix Bug-o-Rama is ON
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
What were everyone's opinion of the show? This was my first Phoenix bugorama. I was a little disapointed with the swap area. I thought the swap meet would have been bigger than it was. Karls swap seemed bigger.
There were lots of people and some nice cars were present. It seem well organized too.

I must say the show was extremely well run.. organized and all on the same side of the drag strip... which is good.. I walked through the swap 3 times and didnt find a damn thing... although a couple of friends scored some nice stuff early... If you were looking for Baja Parts, speed parts, off road, sand, dirt, ginormous carbs that wont fit on a 25HP....... it was pretty good... If you were looking for Split Parts.... forget it.... oldest thing I saw was some 55 egg taillights.. Smile Karls Swap is DEFINITELY bigger... and better... no two ways about it. (However, I AM Biased)

Bottom line a great show..... but the swap wasnt very good for vintage stuff. Oh and for those of you who waited 45 mins in a line for food... only to wait another 20 mins for a beer.. I feel for ya...... Smile Nice to have Bug-O-Rama back in Phoenix.. and hey my Split won 3rd Place.. Smile and it didnt even have DOOR Panels installed!!

I noticed the line for food or drinks was llllooooonnnngggggg! LOL
I too was on the look out for NOS parts or good usable used stuff. I saw a lot of junk but not much good stuff and came home empty. The swap at Copperstate had some good parts there.

Where you pulling your 52 behind I believe a Honda or SUV around 8ish from the Santan freeway to the 10?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wcfvw69"][quote="52HoffmanSplit"]
wcfvw69 wrote:

Where you pulling your 52 behind I believe a Honda or SUV around 8ish from the Santan freeway to the 10?

Thats me.... I was going to drive the Split... but last night my Generator decided to take a dump..... it ran well.. but I didnt think I was going to make it on Battery Power alone.... especially 6 Volt Battery power.. so I towed it with a towbar in the Honda CRV (My wifes car!) Normally I wouldnt make the car a trailer queen. I did drive it to the Sonic Meet the night before.... Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in through the swap area and there was almost no line to get in and it before the 7 am time to set up... Awesome.

The swap seemed smaller than in recent years but there was less of a ratio of pure junk (what I consider junk). There were some Split parts there, I saw someone else buy a few small things like wiper bases.

I bought a bunch of random stuff for good prices, nothing super exciting.

The I-10 closures both there and back sucked.

I thought the cars in the pavement area of the car show were parked too close together to take good photos.

I didn't get food but yes, the food lines looked insane.

Thumbs up!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I came in through the swap area and there was almost no line to get in and it before the 7 am time to set up... Awesome.

The swap seemed smaller than in recent years but there was less of a ratio of pure junk (what I consider junk). There were some Split parts there, I saw someone else buy a few small things like wiper bases.

I bought a bunch of random stuff for good prices, nothing super exciting.

The I-10 closures both there and back sucked.

I thought the cars in the pavement area of the car show were parked too close together to take good photos.

I didn't get food but yes, the food lines looked insane.

Thumbs up!

Ev.... I saw DS get those wiper bases also... and frankly they were the only Split Parts I saw there.. Smile Except for Re-pop crap that I can get anywhere.... Generally Im looking for 1950 to 1955 stuff..... so... it wasnt a very good swap in that respect.... and you are so correct... cars were way too close on the pavement..!!

All in All.. show was great... promoters dont have anything to do with how much boat anchor stuff swappers bring in the gate! Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an NOS 36hp distributor cap so I guess that is 53-55 too.

Someone else said they bought an NOS set of 36hp P&Cs. I did not see them.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright! It's great to have the big one back again. Last year was rough without it. The new crew and the locals did an awesome job. All their experience payed off for us. Everyone I talked with was well pleased with the whole event. Yep, the show was packed in like sardines. My ride had claustrophobia. We hate being in a location without a quick escape route. But- there wasn't any room left to expand. Anyone know the number? Was concerned the wind would be an issue with the drags. Did it play in the wipeout the yellow bug did? Amazing it stayed generally right side up. A relief when he climbed out. Didn't get anything on my swap shopping list but did get some good deals. Made it a financially worthwhile event. And glad the Rusty Criminal went home lighter. All in all it was a busy and good 3 days. But next year I'm going to get more sleep before it all starts. Laughing
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="52HoffmanSplit"][quote="wcfvw69"]
52HoffmanSplit wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Thats me.... I was going to drive the Split... but last night my Generator decided to take a dump..... it ran well.. but I didnt think I was going to make it on Battery Power alone.... especially 6 Volt Battery power.. so I towed it with a towbar in the Honda CRV (My wifes car!) Normally I wouldnt make the car a trailer queen. I did drive it to the Sonic Meet the night before.... Smile

I thought it was the same car. You have a nice split there. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general it was a great show. Props to the Hole orginization Applause ... no pun intended. I think more people showed up than was expected. Maybe this is why the concession stands lines were so long. I saw a few closed concessions, they could have been used to help feed the crowds. I spoke to many car owners and at least the ones I spoke to said the show area was to cramped. May be they should consider doing it the way it used to be. Swap meet and new vendors on the spectator side and car show on the pit side. It would have been nice to see the cars/busses grouped together. with vintage "ONLY" on the lawn I saw some customs out there on the grass, what was that all about. Drag racing was great, I think the yellow racer that crashed was a She not a He. Good thing was, nobody got hurt. The swap meet was exactly that a swap meet. I think the really good vintage stuff is to be had at the Classic, Copperstate and Karls. All the really good old metal is becoming harder and harder to find. Its a sign of the times. I saw those same taillights and alot of repop stuff as well, but like the saying goes..."one mans trash is another mans Treasure". Saw alot of old friends and made new ones. I think that is what VW ownership is all about. The weather was great (alittle windy) but I honestly hope everyone had a great time and got home safely. Glad to see that the Vatos Locos from El Chuco represented and hosted one hell of a "Discada" at the host hotel parking lot. I hope next years is as much fun. PEACE HOMIES! Applause

74 Standard Type 1
69 Squareback Type 3
55 Oval Type 1
lasvegas13window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first time to the Phoenix Bugorama. I have been to Busses by the Bridge and the Vegas Bug-In and the Classic shows with my 13 window but this time I took out my 23 window (just restored). I took it to Busses by the Bridge earlier this year and this phoenix show was its first judged show. I had all three of my kids with and ended up showing up at 0945 (gates opened up at 0700). i got to park on the grass in the "vintage meadows". it was very nice to be on the grass instead of the asphault! i figure i would be with the split bus crew, but come to find out we were mixed with the fat chicks also. i have nothing but love for all vw's but i thought this took away from the split window line-up. picture it ..."a row of sweet split windows sandwitching an 87 vanagons, and a fat chick. i wished i got there early to park nearer to my split window brethren. by the time i got there most of the participant judged ballots were filled out and done with. i didn't win any awards for the bus but i attribute that to being late. next time I will arrive on time!!! and maybe leave the kids at home with the wife! great show!!
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Anyone know the number? Was concerned the wind would be an issue with the drags. Did it play in the wipeout the yellow bug did? Amazing it stayed generally right side up. A relief when he climbed out. Laughing

That was e-girl who wrecked, good thing she kept it on all 4, I heard the dust from the wind was a factor.
I thought the swap was good. I found more then my share of split bus parts at good prices and got a couple leads on some dry AZ buses Wink . Road trip after RB/KP.

I don't believe Phoniex Bugorama has ever been a hot bed of early VW parts. Kelly Park, Classic and the back east shows are for these Wink
I think the event went off awesome, especially being the first time for Bugorama Productions. Better then any of the earlier ones I've been to.
The promotors are well aware of the glitchs there and next year will promise to be even better.

Thanks for bringing it back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We packed our own food an drink.

We went through 6lbs of Carne Asada in no time flat.

Next year 10lbs. Very Happy
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustisnotacrime wrote:

ps. Thanks for the food Chris Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
rustisnotacrime wrote:

ps. Thanks for the food Chris Laughing

I'll have more to feed the troops next time Ronnie. Very Happy
rarefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the trip from Denver. Over all, I thought the show was pretty good. I had a great time. Thanks French for the hospitality Saturday night. Seeing your collection made my trip!!
efi67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know the car show winners?
wickedwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the show was great! I liked the way it was set up. The swap was smaller then past shows but good. I believe it was small because of the price for swappers and vendors, so if that doesn't change most deals and rarer parts will continue to be sold at previously mentioned shows. Karls and Copperstate are probably the best swaps. Classic-forget it, prices are to high because of "worldwide" buyers and sellers. I have noticed that swap prices are going up at alot of events. I think it is counter productive to the event coordinators. Okay you make a little more off your spaces but if you charge less you'll have more swappers thus creating a larger number of people coming through the gates. Anyway, I got there about 8:15, and there were split parts out there and available. For example: deluxe trim, high hinge cargo door, few sets of split push button driver and passenger front doors, side window, a few front bumpers-2 were deluxe with trim, rear bumpers, Bullet front end, jalouse window, 15 inch rims. There was an original paint blue/white 13 window deluxe that was in good shape for $2,500, body was nice needed rocker work on both sides and drivers dog leg. There was also a pop top walk through that was running for $2,500 which had some real ruff spots structural wise, I've seen worse on the road. As far as split repop parts, welcome to the future. I sense better quality repops in the future as everything else is disappearing, downside is prepare to pay more as quality goes up. Swap prices were excellent and purchased a few things I was looking for as well as some things I wasn't looking for. Didn't buy anything to drink or eat as katrina type price gouging was in effect. Drags were cool. People were great! I thought it was all well put togther and sensed that most of the comments being made were because peoples minds were trained to seeing the same old setup year after year. I'm glad it was different, makes us think and be observant. Some people were not happy about the walk from the parking area to the area of festivities, I actually enjoyed it as my big ass needs all the exercise I can be forced to get. I'll be there next year with my own drinks, food, maybe a swap space, and a wade of small bills for purchses. I'm glad that yellow bug stayed upright on the track, for a split second it looked like it was about to get really bad.
Rusted Relics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the Holes did a great service in stepping up and bringing back the B-O-R. In my opinion the swap spots were too small (but then again I brought out a gaggle of sh!t), the cars did looked packed in an unfortunately you can't control the wind, but it was nice not being 105 degrees.

If someone needs NOS 36hp p/c contact me. I only have 2 sets left!

Thanks BOR staff continue to run the PHX Show!!

my .02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfreak62 wrote:
I thought that the Holes did a great service in stepping up and bringing back the B-O-R. In my opinion the swap spots were too small (but then again I brought out a gaggle of sh!t), the cars did looked packed in an unfortunately you can't control the wind, but it was nice not being 105 degrees.

If someone needs NOS 36hp p/c contact me. I only have 2 sets left!

Thanks BOR staff continue to run the PHX Show!!

my .02

Steve you looked a little skinny.

I'll bring you some Carne Asada next time.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I thought the show was great! I liked the way it was set up. The swap was smaller then past shows but good. I believe it was small because of the price for swappers and vendors, so if that doesn't change most deals and rarer parts will continue to be sold at previously mentioned shows. Karls and Copperstate are probably the best swaps. Classic-forget it, prices are to high because of "worldwide" buyers and sellers. I have noticed that swap prices are going up at alot of events. I think it is counter productive to the event coordinators. Okay you make a little more off your spaces but if you charge less you'll have more swappers thus creating a larger number of people coming through the gates. Anyway, I got there about 8:15, and there were split parts out there and available. For example: deluxe trim, high hinge cargo door, few sets of split push button driver and passenger front doors, side window, a few front bumpers-2 were deluxe with trim, rear bumpers, Bullet front end, jalouse window, 15 inch rims. There was an original paint blue/white 13 window deluxe that was in good shape for $2,500, body was nice needed rocker work on both sides and drivers dog leg. There was also a pop top walk through that was running for $2,500 which had some real ruff spots structural wise, I've seen worse on the road. As far as split repop parts, welcome to the future. I sense better quality repops in the future as everything else is disappearing, downside is prepare to pay more as quality goes up. Swap prices were excellent and purchased a few things I was looking for as well as some things I wasn't looking for. Didn't buy anything to drink or eat as katrina type price gouging was in effect. Drags were cool. People were great! I thought it was all well put togther and sensed that most of the comments being made were because peoples minds were trained to seeing the same old setup year after year. I'm glad it was different, makes us think and be observant. Some people were not happy about the walk from the parking area to the area of festivities, I actually enjoyed it as my big ass needs all the exercise I can be forced to get. I'll be there next year with my own drinks, food, maybe a swap space, and a wade of small bills for purchses. I'm glad that yellow bug stayed upright on the track, for a split second it looked like it was about to get really bad.

Hi.. just to clarify.. when I said Split Parts.... I meant.. SPLIT WINDOW BUG parts.... Pre Oct 1952.. Im not sure where and when Split started meaning pre-67 buses... but it seems it does now.. as I see it everywhere.. (I can tell you it wasnt that way in the 1980's and 90's)

I think its the English fans as they have always known Pre-67 buses as "Split Screen" buses..

When I hear split.. I think Split Window BUGS!! Smile ... when I hear Kombi, 21 Window, Binz, 15 Window, Barndoor, Singlecab, Doublecab, Westy.. I think buses.... Cmon.. you guys already have enough "names" for your buses.... lay off my Splitty!

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
When I hear split.. I think Split Window BUGS!! Smile

You didnt get the memo.

Bugs are for girls. Very Happy

I enjoyed my experiance out there. I have no complaints.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: