Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil temp readings
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbcox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: oil temp readings Reply with quote

I just put a Autometer oil temp guage in with a VDO oil drain temp sending unit.My readings are that my motor has been to hot i goes up to around 225 - 250 on the highway back down around 225 on side streets. My question is can it be off that much. I have never had any symptoms of my motor running hot. I drive 50 miles one way to work on the interstate 65 - 70 MPH. i can hold my dipstick by the handle no problem, i can wipe the oil off on my finger and stand it, the long part off the dipstick is pretty hot.. My oil looks ok i do not have any funny sounds from being hot. Adusting the timing or the carbs does not really affect it to get it any cooler. Its a 2110 in a baja with dual webers. Does it sound like its really that hot or the guage wrong. If i put the sender were my pressure sensor is with a "T" it has cooler readings, but I wanted the drain sender i heard it was more correct. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sender a correct match for the gauge? I know some have different ohm ratings and will make your gauge read incorrectly.

My VDO oil temp gauge w/ VDO sender reads about 195-200 highway @ 65 mph. But that's the temp from the stock oil pressuer switch location.

Good luck,
-Tim
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockNbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Db, your readings are taken before the cooler. Twin's reading are after the cooler. I would place more importance on the "after" numbers. That is why some of us use external coolers in addition to the doghouse cooler.
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a meat thermometer with a probe long enough to fit in the dipstick tube. Compare the readings to your guage right after you pull over. Generally 230 degrees is when you should start slowing down. But it isn't a death sentence....do you also have a head temp gauge? I like to monitor both, since head temps will certainly kill an engine faster....
dbcox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the oil sump readings are hotter because they havent went thru the cooler? My readings were cooler at the pressure sending ubut with a T fitting. A long thermometer was going to be my next guesss. Thanx I just have a feeling its not as hot as the guage is reading
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockNbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sump is where the oil is dumped when it is done lubricating the engine. Then it goes through the screen, then the pump then to the filter/cooler. I only monitor the oil temp at the sender port. I also monitor the oil pressure and the cylinder head temperature just to be on the safe side.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this from Gene Berg's web site and thought it was very interesting regarding gauges

http://www.geneberg.com/article.php?ArticleID=239
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 'ol Gene had it right. My VDO temp gauge consistently reads about 10 degrees high. Checked it with a candy thermometer (attached to a string and lowered down the filler tube of my T3). Sender is in the sump.
Herby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
I got this from Gene Berg's web site and thought it was very interesting regarding gauges

That is ridiculously outdated. Gauges aren't 100% accurate, but they also aren't off by 300F degrees. No thermometer is on the dot accurate. They'll probably be off by 3-10 degrees depending on the ambient temperature outside.

New food for thought
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1663036&highlight=#1663036
Airspeed
www.airspeedvwclub.com
"Do not assume that there isn't room for improvement just because VW didn't do it."

Samba #34091
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy to notice gauge trending. If over the course of normal driving your CHT Gauge never goes above 300; then all of a sudden it's reading 400 you know something is WRONG. Same with OT. Some members calculate the error of their VDO gauge so that they can automatically compute the actual reading.

Dakota Digital apparently makes some good temperature compensating gauges, but they aren't cheap.

Just my 2 cents....
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herby wrote:
hpw wrote:

That is ridiculously outdated. Gauges aren't 100% accurate, but they also aren't off by 300F degrees. No thermometer is on the dot accurate. They'll probably be off by 3-10 degrees depending on the ambient temperature outside.

New food for thought
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1663036&highlight=#1663036

Herbie, thank you for that link. I'm glad to see that has been discussed

and now have a better idea of what is going on.
EZGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other variables like your voltage and wire size and and connections.

Could you remove your gauge and connect it closer to the sender with the shortest wire possible and solder the connectors on just for comparison purposes?

Most auto manufactores used idiot lights and gauges with just bars for the vary reason you describe.

Old GB should get an award for being the most anal and also for beating his chest the loudest. I'm thankful that POTL folks like him made contributions to our hobby. Or we wouldn't have one that is so much fun with so many options. Besides we need someone to pick on Laughing
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB was indeed a VW guru, but things have changed in the past 20-30 years. Still a great guy though with lots of good ideas and good products.

Never mount the sender in a T along with the OP sending unit. The oil is not moving much in that column, so the number you get does not mean much.

All of the tinwork complete on this baja? Do your tend to run high RPMs? High CHT? Any of that can generate high OTs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbcox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my tin is there exept under the heads I run about 3000rpm on the interstate about 7o mph with 30 inch tall tires. It is not lugging it has plenty of power to move them and areound traffic thanks for all the info
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: