Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Four Season?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in So CA I am still waiting for winter. It lasts about three weeks here. It is 93* right now. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Addie" gets put away in the Winter. Usually from when they first salt the roads till about April.

Lukesky...I make sure I have a full tank of gas, and I take the battery out and put in the basement. I've used Sta-bil and haven't used it. Don't know if it is needed or not for short time naps. I usually will roll the car around in the garage a couple of times while it is put away. I feel this helps the tires, etc. Also, seal the car up with your top and side curtains to help keep out stray dogs, cats and critters. Knew a guy once who had his dog get into his 'winterized' Corvette. Really tore the heck out of the interior.
These are just my ideas, I'm sure those more learned than me have others.

Joe
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
"Addie" gets put away in the Winter. Usually from when they first salt the roads till about April.

Lukesky
These are just my ideas, I'm sure those more learned than me have others.

Joe

Jacked up and on jack stands to prevent flat spots on tires.

Mark
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe 20: Addi (without an e) is my daughter's name (still don't have a name for The Thing). Small world. My plan is top up, windows in, good cover, but that still leaves plenty of holes. Moth balls and rat poison on the floor to keep the critters out. StaBil in a full tank, battery out and charged once a month. Problem is, I can't even remember to change my furnace filter. My dad stored it in an old metal shed with no wall on one side for years out in the sticks and never had a problem. Of course, me in the 'burbs (yes, we have them in Iowa) stored in the garage, will probably get a nest of aardvarks or buffaloes or something nasty like that.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukesky wrote:
My plan is top up, windows in, good cover, but that still leaves plenty of holes. Moth balls and rat poison on the floor to keep the critters out. StaBil in a full tank, battery out and charged once a month. Problem is, I can't even remember to change my furnace filter. My dad stored it in an old metal shed with no wall on one side for years out in the sticks and never had a problem. Of course, me in the 'burbs (yes, we have them in Iowa) stored in the garage, will probably get a nest of aardvarks or buffaloes or something nasty like that.

I don't know about the moth balls, but the car might appreciate a visit every now and then. Wink I store mine outside every winter (unless I'm working on it), and about the only thing I do is unplug the battery from the car. Sometimes if I remember to, I'll even start it up and let it run for an 1/2 hour or so. I don't use a car cover on them since they have a tendency to scratch the paint. In the spring, I'll give the cars a good bath, and polish the finish up with some Meguairs #7 show car glaze. I don't like wax, since I work in a body shop, and if I have to do any touch up work, I'd have to wax and grease remove the car and pray I don't get any fisheyes. Evil or Very Mad I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about a visit. I've got some options for storage in someone else's garage, but I'm really hoping to keep it in my own garage, attached to my house, where I can get to it if I want to. I'd like to try it in the snow to see how it handles, but it's in great shape so I don't want it anywhere near salt, sand, etc.

Maybe I'll get another one someday for a winter beater.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukesky wrote:
I know what you mean about a visit. I've got some options for storage in someone else's garage, but I'm really hoping to keep it in my own garage, attached to my house, where I can get to it if I want to. I'd like to try it in the snow to see how it handles, but it's in great shape so I don't want it anywhere near salt, sand, etc.

Maybe I'll get another one someday for a winter beater.

THAT'S the ticket! Once I've completely blasted and coated every inch of the car with POR-15 and good paint, I might take it into the snow now and then. Things are supposed to be really good on snow.

Of course, nothing would beat one of these:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukesky,
Addie is sort of short for edelweiss, the symbol of German mountain troops among other things. Since I've always liked the flower (and the song since the Sound of Music) it seemed like a good name for the car. You sort of say Adelweiss so I took some liberty and changed the spelling a little to fit my need. It also makes a pretty neat name for a daughter!! Yes it is a very small world. Very Happy
Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: