Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Caravelle Camper - pics, brochures, Coleman Stove
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: 64 Caravelle Camper - pics, brochures, Coleman Stove Reply with quote

I added some links to the first post here so that you don't need to go to the bottom to find them. Both brochures look very close.

http://karmannghias.org/Bus/caravelle1.htm
http://karmannghias.org/Bus/campwagon1.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, after searching and searching I'm now convinced from input here and now some brochures that my 64 Camper is a Caravelle. I actually bought two brochures one looks a little earlier than the other.

Shown is a picture of the earlier brochure I'm getting. When I get them in the mail I'll take better scans and post it on my website and then link to this discussion. This picture shows the actual interior and type of awing that I have.

Thanks everyone

Here is a link to the other discussion where I was asking for input as a reference.

"Mystery Camper - any others with Hehr Camper Windows"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179704&highlight=
"Who can help identify the Camper Manufacture of the 64 Bus"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174430&highlight=
Link to my site with the 1964 Caravelle Camper
http://karmannghias.org/64Bus.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pictures of my bus and some new curtains.

Last edited by JeffL on Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
hudman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I thought I had a EZ Camper but I think you changed my mind. My rear seats match yours exactly. My windows are different maybe because mine was built off a panel. This was all I got for interior stuff:

Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with the rooftop tent in the brochure? Any other photos of it? I wonder what the rack and ladder look like?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldworldair2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that last pic in New Mexico? did I see this bus parked at the state fair grounds a few years back with the lid up?
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's up with the rooftop tent in the brochure? Any other photos of it? I wonder what the rack and ladder look like?

The top tent is pretty cool. Wish one came with mine. It talks about it being a sun deck too. When I get the brochures I'll certainly scan some more detail. I have the awning and bag. The side curtains did not come with my Bus. If we make new ones I might try to make the top tent from the photos.

I have what looks to be a tent/awning bag. I'll have to shoot a photo of it too and show the dimensions. It looks different than the green pole bag and someone used it as a drop cloth at some point.

The newer brochure that I have shows tent legs supporting the awning and not out riggers from the bumper. This awning might have been larger.

Quote:
I thought I had a EZ Camper but I think you changed my mind. My rear seats match yours exactly. My windows are different maybe because mine was built off a panel. This was all I got for interior stuff:

Certainly looks like the same interior as mine. I've read most of the posts that link to EZ-Campers and Sundials. Since it sounds like the companies were related the similarities make it hard to tell them apart. I found no logos, tags, or stampings anywhere in the bus.

What year is your Bus?

It is interesting that your closet door located below the bed hinges up like mine. The brochure shows the door hinging down. After getting in it a couple of time it would be better to hinge down. Maybe that was a latter improvement.

Not sure about the louvered windows. When they used panels I'm use to seeing the extra brace/guard above the standard window. I think it was a stiffening brace since the opening had to be cut into the side panels. Are you windows the HEHR brand too?

Last edited by JeffL on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some pictures of your awning with dimensions of the frame?

From the picture your awning looks to be a match for mine. Mine does not cover the front center door when it is open. I made a 12 inch extension to accomplish this if we remake the covering. I can't find anything close to the original striping so I might need to go with new Sunbrella fabric.

Nice bus, the BRMs look good. I've left everything stock on my so far. Even the hub caps have the original paint (and stone chips).

[/img][/url][/quote]
hudman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldworldair2 wrote:
is that last pic in New Mexico? did I see this bus parked at the state fair grounds a few years back with the lid up?

No that picture is from Bug-in 32 in one of thoes rare mornings you could see mountains and snow with no smog.

Bus is a 1964
Export code UF San Francisco
Windows: Hehr-L 1627 137 18
I'll have to get the frame poles out to take a measurement. If you are talking about the cargo door on the right yes you can see on mine the door goes past the awning. If I put the side panels on I put them over the side poles that go into the bumper that way I can open the door. Usally I put the side panels on the little room I made off the back of the bus, this allows us to open and close the rear hatch without it touching. We camped for a week with it and it worked great. I have two girls and they used it for a changing room. One night it rained (not very hard) with the hatch open no water got inside Very Happy

JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reall cool, I like the idea of the changing area out back.

When you have time can you measure the side panel dimensions too for me. It appears that your fabric is just like mine and the awning is the same.

Yes I did mean the cargo door not fully being covered by the awning when it was open. Not sure whay they did it that way.

Your bus being a 64 too also seems to add why our camping outfits are so close. My export code is UM.

JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Caravelle and Campwagon Brochures Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to scan and post the Cavavelle Brochures. As it turns out, one of the brochures (almost identical) is for a Campwagon.

The two different top tents and ladders are pretty cool!

http://karmannghias.org/Bus/caravelle1.htm
http://karmannghias.org/Bus/campwagon1.htm

loonyrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great brochure. Looks like that confirms what I have suspected---that my camper is a Caravelle. Everything matches down to the holes in the bumper for the tent struts. Too bad mine didn't come with a tent Sad
loonyrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant seem to get a pic to post---so look in my gallery
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your picture in the prior post. It looks the same as mine. What is the small tag on the side of the icebox?

Did you have the roof mounts for the tent? I could give you the dimensions of the frame. I think there is a reproduction for sale right now on the Samba that might be the right size.

Did you have a curtain to separate the front cabin?

I enjoyed your pictures in the gallary. Really clean camper!
loonyrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately a PO had done away with the tent setup. Rooftop slotted bracket gone and holes filled. In a box of parts which came with it I found 2 small brackets which might have been part of the tent strut assembly. I'm at work now but will check the tag out when I get home. As I recall it is a camper association tag--just cant remember which one. I have all the spring hangers for curtains and that is the next project to tackle.
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is interesting is that I have spring cables for all of the curtains except the center divider. It is a long thick curtain rod which is show in one of the brochures.

If you use the sping do you have to make the curtain longer in the middle? Maybe it's just longer at the sides than it needs to be.
loonyrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cabin divider spring is in 2 pieces, there is a right and left curtain. the center end was screwed into the backend of the air vent.
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is DMNCLNR. That interior looks a lot like his.
Willeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 65. When I bought it I was told it was a Caravelle. It's got the interior and cabinet hardware. I don't have the awning either, just the holes for the mounts on the roof and bumper. There are some pictures of mine in my Gallery.

I've seen some info that says the Caravelle's and EZ campers are very similar and use some of the same parts. (Like the seats and upolstry) I believe the two company's were owed by relatives and they shared designs and parts. My Z bed has "EZ Camper Inc" stamped into the frame.

Any body know where the Caravelle Co was located. I know EZ Camper was in southern California. My bus's point of entry was St. Louis.
loonyrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, here is the pic of the red label on my icebox that I said I would post. My z-bed does not have any stamping or markings.
boxonrails
Samba Trainman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimB wrote:
Where is DMNCLNR. That interior looks a lot like his.

You're right Tim, DMNCLNR has one. I think his is OG.

| o \/ o | (o\ ! /o)

1965 Standard Factory rag http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/230817.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic bus. The awning is the same fabric as mine, however, my edges are scalloped.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a nice roof rack/sun deck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: