Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing gas mileage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: mpg's Reply with quote

Unfortunatly i haven't had good enough weather or time to drive a full tank or 2 yet to get a new mpg reading,

but after swapping a new rebuilt volkzbitz pict 34 and a svda dizzy that was GRACIOUSLY given to me by a AWESOME Fellow THING buddy!!
(removed my bosch 009 and brosol 30/31 carb)
my driveablity and milage has gone way up, I have never been able to do a 60 mile trip on a half tank without HAVING to get gas for the return trip.

My last check on MPG was about 23 with the old setup, it got worse as time went on till I did this swap.

I'll post some specifics when I get them but I know it's gone up for sure.
stockish 1600 with 73 THING exhaust (and now a svda dizzy and pict 34 carb, points).

Also, to battle the corn, Marvel Mystery oil works very well too!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the hot rod motor, I don't worry about milage that much, too much fun blasting around in a box shaped Honda killer
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess OPEC must of read this thread and decided to start lowering gas prices to off set the poor mileage that these things are getting. Heck they have really dropped here in San Diego... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garage I worked in until all the California regulations and taxes ran use out we saw a lot of problems when the new blend came out. We were working mainly on BMW's and Mercedes we saw a lot of hose rot from the inside out. Leaks in the rubber fuel lines. We talked to the fire inspecter one day when he was in for his Ca inspection about it. He told use they were seeing a lot of vehicle fires and they supected the new fuel was rotting the hoses !!!! I add Stable to all my vehicles and it seems to help a lot. All my yard gas powered tools have had the fuel hoes rot off.
GB
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So? anyone interested in knowing what gas blends are out there?

My current info is that you can not find gas without ethanol in europe. At least is E10 (10% ethanol in vol).

Then I cant see any benefit form adding MTBE/ETBE for normal CR engines, probably somebody can enlighten me.

I see you guys can get gas without ethanol in US? How is labeled? Brand?
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In California we have about 30 different blends of gas. Depending on how smog prone your geographical area is they plug in the blend that best fits. we have summer blends and winter blends as well. So talking about specific blends gets very confusing very fast. All's I know is I love my Dodge diesel! Very Happy I throw all kinds of garbage in that tank... it will make your eyes water but I sure like it! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of diesels, our two regular cars are VW TDI's. I think a TDI would be a great Thing engine.
Here (today) in Michigan, diesel is about .70 more per gallon than regular gas, but I still love those diesel cars. If I ever win the lotto, (and I never play the lotto) I'll buy a TDI engine for my Thing (and a shop to install it). At 5K to 6K miles per year, I would never live long enough for the fuel savings to pay for the conversion, but it sure would be a fun project!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed it would be really cool!
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Vitane Reply with quote

You know I recently found a mention of Alcohol injection from a old 1950's ford repair manual. (How to fix your Ford) from the editors of Motor Service Magazine) Book copyrights from '52 thru 59'.

For more octane, they used a alcohol-water injector for use at full throttle.

They called it "Vitane" fluid.
Thompson products made one type and the company Bascle (made an exhaust pressure triggered "Mist Master").

Apparently injection of alcohol verses pre-mixing it in the gas does make a difference. But in the 50's & 60's gasoline had different additives verse what we run now. I don't think (short of racing) I've ever seen a alcohol injection system on a car/truck. And in racing it was vintage photos.

Anyways, was a short but interesting read on the subject in the chapter "Hopping up your Ford".
Neat book though, it's helped me work on the ol' flathead engine and explained the use of a vaccume guage on doing carb adjustments.

anyways, just fun facts about Alcohol!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: