Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The interior Project" Finished! (lots of pics)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: "The interior Project" Finished! (lots of pics) Reply with quote

Just thought i'd share my experience with my recent interior project since I had mentioned it in other posts. This is on my 87 Westy. It all started when I decided to add a laminate floor, I removed the fridge to paint the grill at the bottom of the door and just check things out when I saw some rust behind. I decided to pull the interior to see how bad it was. This is what I had, not too bad, but I felt it needed to be delt with:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wired brushed it all and then treated it with Por-15. I then put "Frost-king" duct insulation on the bulkhead.

Heres all the stuff I found under the benchseat when I removed it:

Not sure it was the best choice, but for regular insulation I went with R-30 house insulation that was encased in plastic for "no-itch" I left a small gap between the floor and insulation.

So heres the finished product, and I finally got my laminate floor in, I love it!

I also added my gagues at the same time (I posted this also in the "gauges, post pics" thread but here it is again. Added oil pressure and volts. I don't really like the mounting too much so I am going to move them either on top of the dash directly forward from were they are now or on top of the insturment cluster, on top of the tach, haven't decided yet.

I did a bunch of little things that I think add up overall to really make the interior look sharp. I painted the front of the stove panel since it was rusty, painted the fridge bottom vent and the front table stand. I replaced all screws with stainless, and replaced the outlets. Things you don't see that I did was replace the water tank fill and inlet hoses, the sink drain and hose, the water lines (which were gross) and replaced a lot of corroded electrial terminals. I pretty happy with the results. Removing the interior was not that hard and the Bentley was a big help, as well as imput and advice from this community.

Since most of my friends and family don't "get" the Westy thing, I thought I would share it somewhere where people do.

Thanks for reading!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor looks really good, Kevin. I noticed that you also changed out the house 110 v outlet cover plate to grey---I did the the same--nice touch.

Its amazing how many people have rust below the water/electric inlets behind the stove. I live in CA and I took my interior out for the first time this year and I had rust and standing water back there! The gaskets for the inlets are worthless so be sure to silicone those boys back in there. I removed both my water inlet hookups (never used the city hookup in 10 years) because I noticed that my water tank fill inlet also leaked at the hose union. I always fill the tank from the inside anyway so I can see how full the tank is. I may move my electrical hookup underneath the van behind the driver's seat so I can seal up all three holes in the side of the van and never have to worry about rust lurking behind my cabinets. I wish I had some plastic blanks that I could just pop into the inlet holes and seal up forever.

I used a double layer of silver bubble insulation to keep any moisture from building up and a base layer of Foilastic on the metal itself to dampen vibbration and also provide a radiant barrier.

Cheers,
Jeff / 87 Syncr Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...... That looks real nice, and well done too.

Have you noticed a difference in the sound level when driving?

I appreciate the photos, and the fact that the 'ordeal' that I have envisioned (when I do the same to my Westy) isn't as bad as my imagination has created.

The floor will sure be easier to keep clean.

Good Job!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that pocket you have in front of the shifter, does it get in the way and was it stock on some models or where did you find it?

nice job!

im looking at doing the *exact* thing this winter when I can't camp anyway. (or dont want to)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great man! I like the flooring, a big improvement over the regular floors. As for removing the cabinets, how long did it take you, and are there any "tricky" parts to it? I'm a little intimidated by the process, but I think I'll do it anyway here shortly. Just looking for any advice before I set out. Once again, great job!

Lundy
Dellaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the rust removal! "Rust never sleeps", you have to deal with it, and you have.

No matter how nice the floor looks (and it does look great), getting the rust under control and eliminating it's causes are what have added value to your van.

Nice work!

Dave
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a beautiful job, Kevin!!!
What a happy camper!!

I see what you mean about that pod..
I saw a photo that had that type of pod right on top of the instrument panel that looked good.

You probably notice a nice drop in interior noise with the new insulation!

james

kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks everybody for the compliments! Figured I answer a few questions;
camo westy wrote:
Have you noticed a difference in the sound level when driving?

I do notice it is a "touch" quieter, but I had been driving it empty!
Quote:
I love that pocket you have in front of the shifter, does it get in the way and was it stock on some models or where did you find it?

I found that "pocket" at home depot on a clearance table. They were 2 for $8.00. It is by far my favorite accessory in the van, holds my cel phone, extra keys, change, the works. It does not interfere with the shifter what so ever. They were white and I painted them with fusion. I have the other one mounted on the side of the wardrobe cabinet and I keep ear plugs and a small alarm clock in it. I also painted that one with fusion, the same color as the stove face.
Quote:
As for removing the cabinets, how long did it take you, and are there any "tricky" parts to it? I'm a little intimidated by the process, but I think I'll do it anyway here shortly. Just looking for any advice before I set out.

I was also intimidated before I started but found that it really was not a big deal. It's all well described in the Bentley. Did it by myself, took about a 1/2 afternoon. Make sure you put the screws and bolts in zip locks and write on them were they came from. About the biggest PITA was getting the propane lines out but if you take your time and approach it with zen, it's not bad either.

Thanks again for all the nice words, it's nice to have a community that appreciates your hard work! The laminate floor is AWESOME! I highly recommend this to anyone. Looks great and super easy to care for.
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin-

FANTASTIC! Glad to hear that it went so smoothly for you. That laminate floor looks great!

I finally get to put mine back together over the next couple of days. Looking forward to it!

-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
bacwmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

It looks like you put some sound deadener on
did you remove the original spray on glue? or can you just stick it on top of the glue
I'm in the middle of doing the same kitchen rust removal and I'm worried that if I just apply the sound sheets that they may fall off at some point and I don't feel like ever doing this again.

Thanks
Van Deütsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell us how long it took. So... Swedish looking with that floor.

The one thing that bugs me about my ride. There is absolutely no room in the cockpit area to mount anything unless it's at your feet or in your face. So those instrument gauges look just fine!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.....

very very nice project...

let me guess.. for me..(my skills)..doing what you did...

- full time: at least 3 months

- part time: 6 months

- weekend only: 2 years..... Sad

congrats.... and thanks for sharing...
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole project took me 2 weekends, about 4 days of work 30 hours or so if I had to take a guess. I don't have a new picture but I moved the gauges from where they are in the picture to on top of the instrument cluster. I drilled a 1/2" hole, installed a gromet and ran the wires through. I left the wires long enough and installed quick disconnect connectors so that if I have to remove the cover to get at the instrument cluster or master cylinder etc I can set the cover aside on the dash without disconnecting the gagues. I like the location, it's right on top of the tach which houses the temp gauge so it makes for an easy quick scan. I recommend the laminate floor also to anyone, beats the hell out of the carpet!

To answer the question about the glue: I did not remove it. I used the "Frost-King" peel and stick type insulation and you can tell when you stick it on it ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
dgooch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful job kevin.......now yur getting me to think of putting flooring in my syncro...easier to clean off the mud...great post.thanks for the inspiration..aloha
Van Deütsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found under your seat;

Vintage Hot Wheels Corvette in rare cerulian blue circa 1971. One of only 7 made. At auction, now valued at more than van.

Youv'e also got 26¢, and a nice roach leftover from a Dead concert.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beutiful job. Your pics are making me want to do the pergo in my Westy. I had my kitchen done, and have about a box of leftover pieces.

Did one box cover the center floor (Westy)?
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find part of a roach under the seat but I figured that an oz of weed came standard from the factory back in 87'....

One box of laminate is just enough to do a Westy floor, providing you don't screw up any cuts! Again, I highly recommend this, I love my floor.
I'm not the first however check this out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196056&highlight=wood
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the same thing right now in my 1982 Diesel Westy. Did you lay the flooring directly on top of the plywood subfloor or did you remove the subfloor? Did you use an underlayment foam? How thick?
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread was put to bed! Anyway, I pulled out the stock rubber mat floor and laid the laminate directly on top of the wooden sub floor. I installed the floor while I had the interior out so I didn't have to cut a single piece of laminate. You could easily install one of these floors without pulling out the interior, you would just have to make a few cuts. I personally didn't feel that underlayment foam was necessary but I suspose you could put some in pretty easy, might cut down noise a little. I don't notice much of a difference in sound with the floor. If anything it's a little quieter since I also put in some insulation. Hope this helps!
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely use some underlayment for noise... some kind of thicker material would be ideal, like that spongy stuff raammat sells.

I pulled the whole plywood thing out... with the underlayment, the pergo is about the same thickness as the old plywood+gray rubber stuff.

There are other posts about this too.

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: