Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Migit
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Reply with quote

SPELL CHECK!!! How hard would it be EB to have a spell check function on the forums? It would be nice if it automatically did it for you when you tried t o post. Like you hit submit and it pops up with " Warning you have 45 of 45 words mispelled and no punctuation!! " Just a thought.....
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Reply with quote

Migit wrote:
SPELL CHECK!!! How hard would it be EB to have a spell check function on the forums? It would be nice if it automatically did it for you when you tried t o post. Like you hit submit and it pops up with " Warning you have 45 of 45 words mispelled and no punctuation!! " Just a thought.....

he does have spell check -- misspell something and see if at least 3 spelling nazis mention it and a grammar nazi will be watching as well...

they are built into the system, migit...

thought you knew....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spell check is harder than you think.

There is a spell check add-on to the Forums but I refuse to use it because it has advertising on it from the guy who wrote the add-on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: spell check Reply with quote

Why should it be up to the samba to spell check. I am new to this computor stuff, mine has spell check on it. Don't they all?
Rick
phonix werked fer moi Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

There is a spell check add-on to the Forums but I refuse to use it because it has advertising on it from the guy who wrote the add-on.

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3815

Wink

Quote:
Allows you to install and control the spell checker. No using third party domains. No advertising. Everything is on your server and you can customize the look and feel of it how you want.

It is optimized for bandwidth usage. You can add which words you want the spell checker to support (several dictionaries available supporting languages such as English, Russian, etc.)

It also supports advanced features like correct all, ignore all, thesauruses and more.
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get the Google toolbar add on for your browser, it has spell check button built in it... and it works great

Anthony / ISP WEST
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Migit wrote:

he does have spell check -- misspell something and see if at least 3 spelling nazis mention it and a grammar nazi will be watching as well...

they are built into the system, migit...

thought you knew....

Reporting, sir! Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M. wrote:
EverettB wrote:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3815

Wink

Quote:
Allows you to install and control the spell checker. No using third party domains. No advertising. Everything is on your server and you can customize the look and feel of it how you want.

It is optimized for bandwidth usage. You can add which words you want the spell checker to support (several dictionaries available supporting languages such as English, Russian, etc.)

It also supports advanced features like correct all, ignore all, thesauruses and more.

I rarely trust anything from phpbbhacks as some are really, really poor but I may check it out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Reply with quote

Migit wrote:

misspelled

funny,.it works for me...
Laughing

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How hard would it be EB to have a spell check function on the forums?

Now what fun would that be? If respondants were concerned about how their 3rd grade spelling and grammar makes them look...they could always PROOFREAD their posts, before they submit? Crazy notion I know. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheBusBarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: spell checker Reply with quote

Quote:
Why should it be up to the samba to spell check. I am new to this computor stuff, mine has spell check on it. Don't they all?
Rick
phonix werked fer moi

Please tell me you meant to do that....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: