Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

educate me on "THINGS"
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: educate me on "THINGS" Reply with quote

Ok - I am a '67 TI owner [new owner] and love it - but I must also become a Thing owner - period. I have never owned one but have always wanted one. I know NOTHING about them - please educate me so that I purchase wisely.....which year? condition? etc....thanks
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: educate me on "THINGS" Reply with quote

codycat wrote:
Ok - I am a '67 TI owner [new owner]

What's a "TI"?

Mark
dennis5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TI is a type 1 or a beetle I think that what he was trying to say. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're in the US you should get a '73 or '74 - those are the only years they were sold in the US, and getting any other year is difficult.

There are small differences between the two years. The biggest one being the heater - the '73 uses a gas-fired BN4 and the '74 uses the same style of fresh-air heater as many bugs. Most of the BN4 heaters haven't been serviced in years, and it's rare to come across one that doesn't need at least a little work - but when they work, they work GREAT.

From looking at the cars, you'll note that a '74 has "muffs" over the air intakes on the left and right side of the engine - a '73 has only a grill. Also, the '74 has the rear view mirrors mounted to the body near the door hinge, but the '73 has them right on the door. Since the doors are removable, this can be an issue, but there are aftermarket items to move the mirror mounts to the door hinges.

Expect to pay a bit more than a bug. Low price for a complete car is about $5k. Pay particular attention to the top (is it bent, rusty, functional?) the windshield frame (sagging or bulging means you've got to replace it) and front suspension. These are rare and expensive pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting a US Thing, you are pretty much limited to '73 and '74.

The differences between the years are:

The steering wheel nut/spline (makes it easier to replace the '74 steering wheel, but visually the wheels look the same)

The heating system (gas heater in the '73 and fresh air in the '74 -- also means that the engine tin and fan shroud are different and the '74 has snorkels)

Mufflers (dual mufflers in the '73, more traditional T1-ish muffler for the '74)

Side mirrors are in a different place.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but other than the heating system, you won't notice much of a difference.

If you can find a Thing in good condition for a decent price, get it -- they're starting to get rare.
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on what "style" of Thing you want.
Over the years, people have either kept their Things stock or modified them to varying degrees.

If you want a stock setup, make sure you check the Serial Numbers of the engine and transmission. The engine should have an "AM" code and the transmission should be "AV". There were also 14" Thing-specific wheels.
http://www.thething.org/serial.html

You should also check the VIN number in two locations to make sure they match: In the trunk (front hood) there's a plate on the front lip, and under the rear seats on the tunnel. Potentially, someone could have combined a different pan and body. The VIN should start with 183 (for 73) or 184 (for 74) for cars that were sold here originally.

The modifications that people have made can be many and varied, to include different engines, transmissions, front beams, rear suspension, disk brakes, seats, wheel and tire combos, steering wheels, you name it.

There are also different top options: soft top, hard top, bikini top.
There are also different rollbars: stock and aftermarket of many designs.

Make sure you do a good check for rust under the battery tray and on the rockers.

Offroad setups and lowered setups are also popular.

http://www.thethingshop.com/faq.htm
http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/index.htm

Check out the Thing Gallery on this website for pictures of all the different flavors.
Good Luck. I'm sure I've left alot of stuff out.
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info - I missed a chance at a '74 for $800 - it sold before the roosters woke first day of ad - Things are VERY scarce in the deep south and - I look every day in the paper - I just need to look BEFORE the rooster wakes.... Wink
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cody: Where are you in the "deep South?" Bill
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"LA" also known as Lower Alabama but more specifically Mobile
scottienoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your in Bama, there have been a lot of Things in FL, especially around Tallahassee, Orlando and Tampa.
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - I had to go to Hotlanta to get my bug - towed it back - not too bad tho Atlanta's 5 o'clock traffic is a Biooootch...
thealamo1013
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: congrattttssss. Reply with quote

first of all, congradulations.

buying my 74 thing was the best choice i have ever had. it's my baby.

i was in the same boat when i bought my thing. i had no idea what i was doing. after doing my research, i did end up finding one in california, which is terrible news because i live outside of philadelphia.

anyway, my point is, if you want it bad enough, you can always ship it.

(by the way, the heater on my thing doesnt work, but i found that a jacket and gloves work about the same.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you know about shipping and cost??
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to know, incredibly simple, parts are easy to get, affordable, anybody can work on them, and fun to drive. I've owned a 74 for 12yrs up in Canada, just put it away for the winter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: