Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I would like to thank my bug's PO for...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1964volksman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU for tearing out the clean original interior down to bare metal, painting the bare metal black, and installing Prelude seats
And I'm really enjoying the front apron and frame head which you do kindly smashed into oblivion, then painted flat black and kept driving with a broken frame!
I couldnt be more pleased about your Mazda wiring harness, complete with motorcycle wiring so that NOTHING worked
Four loose lugs on each wheel... Hmmm...
Thanks for putting the world's most worn out brake drums on it... Fully tightened, they wobbled and rubbed against the shoes
Thanks for registering my feb. '63 as a '64...
Thanks for welding sheet metal OVER the rust
Thanks for the BLOWN 1200, which "should run". It did. Briefly.
And thanks for cracking the new windshield
'66 sunroof deluxe bug-40hp
straws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sounds like you didn't do a whole lot of looking when you bought the car. Half the shit in this thread is just complaints from people that didn't fully look over the 50 year old car they bought.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straws wrote:
Kinda sounds like you didn't do a whole lot of looking when you bought the car. Half the shit in this thread is just complaints from people that didn't fully look over the 50 year old car they bought.

Wink This is why I don't usually read this thread.
Maybe it should be renamed buyers remorse Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1964volksman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was dirt cheap, I was 13.... So no, I didn't look it over, and I wish I had. I'm 15 now, almost done sorting it out the right way.
'66 sunroof deluxe bug-40hp
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned fifty-seven VW's over the last 40 years, and only 3 or 4 of them were running on purchase day. Looking back, I only scrapped 3 or 4 others after scavenging all the parts I could get off without a torch.

So I'd like to thank all PO's for not taking care of your cars, running them into the dirt, performing little to no maintenance on them, then being out of money and desparate to sell them the day I showed up with a few bucks.

I've never made a huge profit on any one VW - just enough to say that my hobby is one of the few that doesn't cost me a lot of money. Working on old cars is like aversion therapy to me and it's a lot cheaper than the shrink's couch to "re-center" your mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figure you will find something down the line that one of the POs did that wasn't obvious.

Then you just have to laugh and wonder.....Why the hell did they do that?
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
joecestes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I used easy off oven cleaner to remove overspray primer.It worked but I wouldn't let it sit on the paint very long though. Clean really good after use. I don't know if it will hurt the paint or not, but I would think if it removes primer over spray it will probably do the same to paint.
Greg!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank the PO of my '62 for some reason deciding it would be better to braze my pressure plate instead of dropping an entire $25 for a new one.

(and yes that gold colored glob is actually where it was brazed)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tell me how that one could have been caught on a pre-purchase inspection.
Steamjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank the PO for layering on a 1/2" to 3/4" thick layer of bondo on the front pass quarter panel, and poorly repairing the passenger door hinge pillar, instead of repairing it right. Which prolly would have taken much less time to do in the first place.

Mexikrainian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank my bugs PO for not wanting it any more and giving it to me. Very Happy Thank You

Ga bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank mine for keeping it inside of a
closed in garage until I came along and got it.
It was in great shape.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straws wrote:

Man, that's what I was thinking. Lots of whining and blaming others. Maybe it is the wording. It's fine reading about what someone had to fix to make their car right for them, but many of these sound like they think the car they bought should have been in concours condition. That's great if you paid the price for concours but if you paid for a beater and that's what you got, why put it in terms of complaining instead of boasting on how many things you've fixed up?

For me, there is something cool about fixing a vehicle. It is as if that makes it mine. The involvement is something I crave and the newer cars I've owned that seem all worked out just don't satisfy me as much as an older one that I've "improved".

There are some really nice posts here as well. It's nice to hear that it's not all bad things being done to these cars.

Chuey
Kudagra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking all the windows out of the Texas registered 66 once you got it back up to Kansas and parking it under a tree so it could fill with soggy leaves and rot almost everything.

At least its not as bad as a Kansas type 1 left in the same environment. At least half of its life it was rust free.
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving the car in a field for 30 years Sad The only real rot was the floor pans and the standard corners where every bug that sees salt rots. If the car was a hard top, the floor pans would have been intact, but as it was a ragtop that rotted away sometime in the 80s, it had 30 years of snow/rain in it. Someone also snapped off a rear bumper bolt and just welded the bracket to the car. But it's all numbers matching Smile
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welding the rear bumper brackets to the fenders, and one of the fenders to the apron in the process! Wtf...

Red River VW Club- http://www.redrivervwclub.com
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great thread - gotta bump it.

I'd like to thank the PO of the 64 bug I owned many years ago for cutting a pair of holes in the package tray so they could route hot air up and into the car since the heater channels were plugged up - probably by the PO to the PO - for some unknown reason they shoved newspapers in there. Probably couldn't get the heat to shut off - I dunno. A mystery for sure.

I'd also like to thank (really!) the PO (and the PO to the PO - I.E. - her parents who bought it new) for not driving their 71 Ghia in the winters. It is virtually rust-free except for the battery tray area which has been replaced. Oh - and for selling it to me for the astounding price of $2500 - RUNNING! I do hate that you painted over the Bahi Red with a very crappy gloss black.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: PO left a doobie Reply with quote

I would like to thank the PO for leaving a doobie under the bonnet. My girls found it while helping to strip it. LOL d'oh!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525849&highlight=stute

http://stutethewonderbug.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ide like to thank the previous owner of my lowlight for the "awesome" vinyl top you installed in the 90's....without your classy move my car wouldnt have rust holes in the roof the size of my fist.....or as I like to call it, the "Multiple sunroof option"....

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
Ide like to thank the previous owner of my lowlight for the "awesome" vinyl top you installed in the 90's....without your classy move my car wouldnt have rust holes in the roof the size of my fist.....or as I like to call it, the "Multiple sunroof option"....

They were more properly called "opera windows," remember?
Laughing
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
tacochris wrote:

They were more properly called "opera windows," remember?
Laughing

haha....yea! The best part about the car is that he didnt prep the body and the paint is falling off like Baked Lay's...that coupled with the roof my car looks like it has Leprocy. O well I still rock it....

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: