Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Get Rid of your inline fuel filter!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Get Rid of your inline fuel filter!! Reply with quote

Exclamation Exclamation I know this has been said a million times, but if you have a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb (or anywhere else in the engine compartment), get rid of it!!! Exclamation Exclamation

I kept putting this project off until I could find the time to do all the fuel lines, but I got rid of it today. I was warming up the Thing this morning after changing the oil yesterday and when I went back to check on the idling engine, gas was flowing everywhere. Fortunately, it wasn't warmed up yet, but the filter was right next to the coil and was leaking gas all over the soon-to-be-hot exhaust/manifold. In a couple more seconds, it would probably have been on the pulleys spraying all over the generator and everything else electric.

I dodged a flame-filled bullet this time. It took all of about 60 seconds to replace the line, so DO IT NOW!!. Shocked Shocked Shocked
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the "sticky" under late models/ super forum, beetles and fires. Pay attention to Glenn's response's. Fuel line size, proper filter and location, clamps. It is perfectly safe, but most people do not use proper hose size and cheap filter with no clamps.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy the fram's for $2. I believe safer than the $0.39 plastic ones.
Use only the correct braided hose with clamps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Perfectly safe.

Additionally, necessary. Old gas tanks get crap in them. Fuel lines go bad.

A fuel filter, properly attached and safely installed will A) keep you on the road even something goes bad B) will visually show you something is going bad.

Stay on top of your vehicle, maintain it regularly, and visually inspect it like an aircraft. Promise, you'll be right, mate.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run the inline filter for close to 20 years with no problems, BUT I use the proper braided fuel line, change it out every year to 18 months, and I look everything over every time I check the oil. Only time I have ever had a close call is when the inlet tube to the carb came loose. Luckily it did so when I was changing the line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Locknar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good example of a volkswagen fire. You can hear the owner make a comment about the fuel filter. Here ya go:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6773384236808113530&q=beetle+%2B+fire

My Fav vw shop: www.airkooledkustoms.com

1973-T3-SQB
1971-1302
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the filter isn't the problem...lack of clamps isn't the problem(with braided hose)...the problem is weight.....and the metal filters even weigh more...properly SECURE the filter so it doesn't bounce around and pop the (pressed in) tube out of the carb.....or move it....

GEX has. Just sayin
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the money to get braided hose and haven't found it to be of any better quality then the rubber hose.
My experience.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my filter by the transmission, where the fuel line leaves the tunnel. That way, if anything goes wrong with it, fuel sprays on the ground instead of the engine compartment.

Are there *any* good reasons to put the filter on the pressure side of the pump, out of curiosity?

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE is even more harmeful to your VW Thing then the fuel you put in it. I have seen more Things destroyed by this deadly chemical then I have by gas fires. Lets all ban together to defeat it's harmful effects.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE is even more harmeful to your VW Thing then the fuel you put in it. I have seen more Things destroyed by this deadly chemical then I have by gas fires. Lets all ban together to defeat it's harmful effects.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Let's not forget how bad sodium chloride is too. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an added precaution, use safety wires. Thin stainless wire looped around hoseclamp to a screw on the carb body, (takes care of the inlet tube coming loose), run wire from hose clamp to hose clamp at the fuel filter so that joint wont come apart. (I use metal filter as well and run it near the tranny)

No safety wire per se at the fuel pump, but both lines are cable tied together at several points and then anchored at the shroud. All this took pennies in material and about an hour of time. Pretty cheap insurance.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
I've spent the money to get braided hose and haven't found it to be of any better quality then the rubber hose.
My experience.

Ger. Braided hoses are made to handle the heat . Reg. rubber hoses swell after a while from the heat and that is why there are so many engine compt. fires . People use standard size hoses and they just don't fit as well as the braided german ones. Just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Are there *any* good reasons to put the filter on the pressure side of the pump, out of curiosity?

I would say that having it in the engine compartment has a few benefits. For one, it doesn't catch rocks and other road debris. It doesn't add a swinging mass to the fuel line that rubs on the firewall tin. Most importantly, if there is a problem with the filter or if crud is collecting, you can easily see it when you open the lid- you don't have to crawl under the vehicle to inspect it.

You wouldn't necessarily have to have it on the pressure side to have most of those benefits.... but I still like mine in the engine compartment.

- David
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all fuel filters, no matter of location, should be secured, not "swinging".... here at my home i have 6 vehicles...two of them are vw's....none of them came from the factory with a separate fuel filter in the engine compartment...(chevy pu has one built into the inlet of the carb, similar to webers..)

GEX has. Just sayin
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flame suite on (heh, double entendre).

I have *two* filters in my engine compartment.

I use German hose, filters with barbs, fuel line clamps (not generic worm clamps), and I support the filters off to the side with garbage ties or zip ties so they are not swinging around.

I honestly didn't know that filters could fail from heat cycling, so I've added squeezing the filters periodically to my maintenance regimen, but since I change them every 10,000 miles, I don't think that it will pose a huge problem.

I guess I like living on the edge.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bciesq wrote:

I guess I like living on the edge.

nah, not living on the edge...if you were you wouldn't take the precautions to make them as safe as possible....still not as safe as elsewehere( Laughing ) but safe as possible in their enviroment...

GEX has. Just sayin
spiderjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two engine fires in the 27 years I have been driving VWs. One was because the inlet tube popped out of the carb. the other was because my dumbass forgot to connect the fuel hose to the carb before starting the engine. Both were because of inattention on my part. #Sleep Never had a fuel filter come loose or leak. Always use the cheapie plastic ones too. If you use the good braided hose that's the right diameter no hose clamps should be necessary. Just gotta stay in touch with your VW. Inspect it regularly. keep spares. Replace stuff before it fails. Part of the discipline.

A fire extinguisher would have been handy too.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderjames wrote:
I have had two engine fires in the 27 years I have been driving VWs. One was because the inlet tube popped out of the carb. the other was because my dumbass forgot to connect the fuel hose to the carb before starting the engine. Both were because of inattention on my part. #Sleep Never had a fuel filter come loose or leak. Always use the cheapie plastic ones too. If you use the good braided hose that's the right diameter no hose clamps should be necessary. Just gotta stay in touch with your VW. Inspect it regularly. keep spares. Replace stuff before it fails. Part of the discipline.

A fire extinguisher would have been handy too.

the fuel filter can, and may have, contributed to the fuel pipe coming loose at the carb....that is what *usually* happens....filter failures themselves aren't the leading cause of the dreaded fires....

GEX has. Just sayin
terrell1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: filter Reply with quote

i use three filters . one is a vw diesel filter set on the drivers side fender well. This way i can bleed fuel out the bottom and do a visual on how my fuel and the hose after that fliter with magnets attached to it and the hose after the pump with magnets . never had a problem but i do check all fittings from the carbs to the first filter every week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: