Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Its sort of stupid but......... What's a zwitter?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitrob wrote:
Wouldn't the term "Zwitter" no longer apply on a vert? Without the split back window there is nothing "split" about it. Confused

"Zwitter translated = hermaphrodite
hermaphrodite = a person or thing in which two opposite qualities are combined. i.e. split and oval."

Alot of 6 month only parts but not a Zwitter, Right?

It still shares the split's 25hp motor....windshield wipers.....semaphors...hood handle
ovalslider
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a later 53 vert share the same options as an early 53 vert?
57 Baja (not my doing)
60 Deluxe Bug
72 Ghia Vert
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalslider wrote:
Wouldn't a later 53 vert share the same options as an early 53 vert?

No, as stated above.....the pre-March of '53 vert would share windshield wipers, hood handle, semphors with the Split while also keeping it's 6 month only parts to include a different speedometer.....different gas tank.....different ash tray........also seperate and different from the post '53 vert. The only shared early split part would be the motor and it's various parts. A pre-March '53 vert is very different from a post-March of '53 car if you know what to look for. There really is a Zwitter vert and it is very different from an oval vert although both are '53's Wink
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think "zwitter" applies without the most qualifying feature gone ( back window). Do wipers a handle and semaphores keep it in that catagory? Wouldn't "late 52 vert" or "early 53 vert" be more appropriate?
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could say that. I don't think it's really an issue with owners, but there are differences between the early '53s and the later '53s that are major problems when restoring the cars. However you want to differentitate the early '53s from the later ones.......you will still have to deal with the term "Zwitter" when buying the various parts that distinguish the two different cars. Confused It also isn't just the obvious things you stated.....it's the size of the mouth of the gas tank....the number of bolts in the hood..... different fender beading.......whether it's a standard or a deluxe......many little things not mentioned which I will go into at a later date........I have to get up tomorrow. Very Happy
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitrob wrote:
I just don't think "zwitter" applies without the most qualifying feature gone ( back window).

Hmmmm....Pre zwitter verts don't have a split window either.....Does that mean they are not splits?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farkengruven wrote:
splitrob wrote:
I just don't think "zwitter" applies without the most qualifying feature gone ( back window).

Hmmmm....Pre zwitter verts don't have a split window either.....Does that mean they are not splits?

Very Happy Thanks........I needed that. I'm going to bed now. Cool
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farkengruven wrote:
splitrob wrote:

Rolling Eyes This is about a car that doesn't fit in one or the other. Obviously a pre zwitter vert is a split. As is a post zwitter vert -'57 an oval. There is a lot more than a window defining them. Rolling Eyes
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitrob wrote:
farkengruven wrote:
splitrob wrote:

Rolling Eyes This is about a car that doesn't fit in one or the other. Obviously a pre zwitter vert is a split. As is a post zwitter vert -'57 an oval. There is a lot more than a window defining them. Rolling Eyes

I think you just answered your own question....
If a pre zwitter vert is a split, and a post zwitter vert is an oval, then a zwitter vert is a zwitter. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
I suppose you could say that. I don't think it's really an issue with owners, but there are differences between the early '53s and the later '53s that are major problems when restoring the cars. However you want to differentitate the early '53s from the later ones.......you will still have to deal with the term "Zwitter" when buying the various parts that distinguish the two different cars. Confused It also isn't just the obvious things you stated.....it's the size of the mouth of the gas tank....the number of bolts in the hood..... different fender beading.......whether it's a standard or a deluxe......many little things not mentioned which I will go into at a later date........I have to get up tomorrow. Very Happy

I realize it's more than the window but that's always the answer to the question "what's a zwitter?". All those little things make for one long ass explanation to what a zwitter vert is. Smile
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farkengruven wrote:
splitrob wrote:
farkengruven wrote:
splitrob wrote:

I think you just answered your own question....
If a pre zwitter vert is a split, and a post zwitter vert is an oval, then a zwitter vert is a zwitter. Rolling Eyes

No, I think it's an oval vert with some 6 month only parts. Very Happy

Last edited by Robs '52s on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brick wall Smile
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this thread should be moved to the oval forum. Smile
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another twist on the subject:

A zwitter has the split rear window, but a zwitter vert has the oval vert rear window........OR,..... does the oval vert have the zwitter vert rear window. Laughing

What came first, the chicken or the egg? and how long is a piece of string?
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

farkengruven wrote:
Another twist on the subject:

A zwitter has the split rear window, but a zwitter vert has the oval vert rear window........OR,..... does the oval vert have the zwitter vert rear window. Laughing

What came first, the chicken or the egg? and how long is a piece of string?

It's how short is a piece of string. Get it right. Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zwitter convert it's all in the side windows solid aluminium only zwitter verts have them.
I want one !

Wanted Og 1950 vert rear window and 55 vert ownwers manuel
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: zwitter cabrio Reply with quote

The drivers door on my pre Oct '52 cab has been changed for one from a zwitter cab - aluminium frame but with a quarter light window. Probably the earliest door available at the time of the swap ?

I now have a correct door and window frame so will consider trades etc for the zwitter door when I have swapped them over. Although the market for the door must be very small, I have only heard of the zwitter cab in Oz and one in Holland and thats it. Anyone know of any more ?

Cheers
Kev
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 is for sell right now on samba.
passoa55 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: zwitter cabrio Reply with quote

kevm wrote:
The drivers door on my pre Oct '52 cab has been changed for one from a zwitter cab - aluminium frame but with a quarter light window. Probably the earliest door available at the time of the swap ?

I now have a correct door and window frame so will consider trades etc for the zwitter door when I have swapped them over. Although the market for the door must be very small, I have only heard of the zwitter cab in Oz and one in Holland and thats it. Anyone know of any more ?

Cheers
Kev

Hi Kev,
you forgot mine! Laughing
And there are some more zwitter verts (or oval looking split verts Laughing ), I'm pretty sure!
http://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=14651
1950 Hebmuller #458
1955 lowlight lizard green
1955 original paint oval
1956 1600 super V-sunroof Porsche
1958 lowlight ghia black
1963 firetruckred 23 window
1967 SO42 westy
1969 original paint Westy
1970 one owner 1300L bug
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwitter vs split rear window question:

are there any subtle differences between a split rear view and a zwitter rear view besides the dome light hole missing on the zwitter?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: