Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield measurements
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Windshield measurements Reply with quote

So I'm just about ready to order windshield glass and weather strip.

First question, Should I order the NOS rubber or the newer longer lasting weatherstrip? Anyone had any experience with either?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are these the right measurements?

Should I worry about thickness? I dont want to pick up my windshield and then realized the rubber weather strip wont fit on it lol

peace

chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know, these are the right measurements or not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caspar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry i dont know if those r correct r not(hard to measure w/glass in car).. but you could go to a glass shop and they should be able to measure correctly... just have them measure and give u price... then you could go with them r order the glass...

just my thoughts

caspar
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give them measurements and they are wrong, then it is your problem. But if they measure it, and it is wrong, you can take it back! BTW they have books and/or computer with info on it.

X
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will need to take it out if they want to measure it. And I'd like to save a few bucks and do it myself.

Its cracked, so taking out is ok, putting it back might be a problem.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just bring the new rubber and have the glass shop do the r & r. You could ask for the old piece of glass to make a future templete. You might consider a light tint in the glass as you are replacing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have windshield patterns made from an original Thing windshield. I mail them out to folks for $7.50 inc shipping. Using my pattern you can go to any auto glass shop and have them make you a DOT approved windshield. The Thing windshield pattern does not exist in books or data bases anymore. I suspect that a glass shop would charge serious money to take a Thing windshield frame apart, make a wndshield and put it together adn would most likely break a few of the bolts in the process. If ya want it done right do it yourself. For me that is what VW ownership is all about..

Puttng in a new thing windshield is a no brainer once you have taken the frame apart and have good threaded holes with no broken bolts......
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My measurements in the drawing look to be half of what they really are.

Thats what David Sheldon? ( i forgot his last name) was posting about "from center"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: