Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safety.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Safety. Reply with quote

I thought that we might put up a sticky thread about some safety concerns.Since most of us are in the middle of projects and do alot of work ourselves i thought id start this out with concerns on tools.Maybe cage design and maybe some simple do's and don'ts.we have alot of experience on this forum but some of the threads tend to get burried.We had a topic of Auto darkening helmets awhile back.Let me start by saying i'm all for saving a few bucks on a tool or piece of equipment.But when safety becomes an issue,I have a problem.Pipe benders are not tubing benders.You may think they get the job done.The finished product may look ok and if you have gone this route that's ok with me.But when someone with little or no experience comes here for advice I think we need to be responsibe with the advice given.So, please add to this with tips and tricks but remember that the advice you give may be taken by someone with little or no experience and may ultimately lead to someone getting hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% and I will add to this as I think of stuff. I am on the company safety committee and I practice most of the company rules at home. Safety can be at work, at home, in the garage, on the road or on the trail.
sammyphsyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about cage design. I have been at http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/ checking out various cage designs. I noticed alot more X bracing and overhead tubing in the mini trucks. I realize they are heavier than a vw but is it really necessary or are vw's not getting enough tubing worked in to their designs? This is a ranger from there and the cage just looks alot stouter than what I have been seeing in baja's.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's good point.I do believe that cage designs will vary by vehicle and whether you have a top or not on your vw.We all know that vw roofs are pretty stout from the factory so that should be taken into account when designing your cage.I would definatly add some extra support on a convertable.Here's the rear section of mine.I feel that in a roll over it would be pretty safe.

Last edited by baja5 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shmo has the ultimate seat belt placement article somewhere.. I can't find the link
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seatbelt mounting from Crow Enterprises:

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i carry a first aid kit, and a cell phone. plus a gps so i can mark the co-ordinates of an accident.
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher. and water...
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tow rope is a good idea also.
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly recent trend in Glamis reflects the horrors witnessed in last season's numerous, read serious, dune crashes. Though it's no news to anyone familiar with off-roading ... the "dune only" owners are finally starting to see the value in wearing helmets. Those of us who (in past lives) have raced know that personal protective equipment is something you never scrimp on. Irrespective of proper roll cage design and the best harness system money can buy ... a Snell approved (and not out of date) helmet could be the last thing that comes between you and something very solid in the event of a crash. Think about it.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
Tacoma_Kyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on doing a decent amount of tube notching but dont want to fork 100-150 on a notcher and decide to grid them, just buy the notcher or find one used like me. Its worth it. Nothing beats perfect fit up. Grinder notching is tedious and you get impatient. Impatient isn't a good thing. Oh and I have had great luck with my Rigid bi-metal hole-saw bit (Home Depot 12 dolla). Probably over 60 notches and still good. It is mucho deep for over 45 degree notches.

Dont dial in your welder on the project if you arent sure of the settings, use scrap, but similar material(of course).

If you are goin to weld tubes end on end (aka butt weld), find something to sleeve it tightly on the inside. It will keep the fit-up staight and will probably make it a strong point rather than a weak point. If your using seamed tubing, grab a file and file the seam down a little! Then oil it and it'll slide in without too much hassle.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/
Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welding helmets.
Purchase a good quality welding helmet. In the long run it is worth it.

Last edited by Nicksan on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAJA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respirators If you are working with chemicals, paint, or grinding away at particulates that hang in the air get a good respirator! A dust mask is not a respirator and your lungs never recover, It will cost you $40 but is worth alot more. I use mine whenever in doubt of what's going to be thrown or sprayed in the air. Even just a few minutes with a rattle can inside a closed garage warrants some protection. One of the most overlooked pieces of safety gear that will keep you alive for extra years later..
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note about Harbor Freight. Their tools are often the cheapest available (usually for good reason) but ... with regard to hand tools ... they are the perfect source for a tool that you need to disfigure for a specific purpose. I've had many occasions to "create" a tool to reach an out of the way fastener or modify a normal tool to perform a task it wasn't intended for. Harbor Freight to the rescue. For a minimal outlay, and some time with the grinder/welder/hammer, etc. ... the special tool rises out of the ashes. Nevermind that it can't be used anywhere else (or maybe it will only be used once) ... it was cheap and it got the job done. No replacement for top notch hand tools mind you ... but a little money and creativity can often save the day ... thanks Harbor Freight.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welding respirator
Blu Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common sense must be used in every endeavor and any advise found on a forum should compared to other sources.
jps1145
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may be a little "off topic" but this is a good forum for a few other safety concerns.
Off roading implies that we all get "off road". Which sometimes means WAY off road. If you plan to venture off make sure of a few things:
1. Don't go alone, take someone with you in another vehicle. If one of you breaks or gets hurt, the other can get back for help
2. Tell someone where your going and when you'll be back so they know to go look for you if you're not back in time.
3. It's been said before, but bring extra water and food.
My Baja
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westtexasbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamburgerBrad wrote:
seatbelt mounting from Crow Enterprises:

Most racing org's require 2 d-rings per shoulder strap. I know SNORE does.

G.
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're fabricating in the garage be careful of flying sparks and stuff lying around. My wife put a 3 ft tall straw scare crow in the garage around Halloween. I saw it there but it just didn't register. Sure enough, a spark from the cutting torch hit it. Luckily I got it out of the garage and tossed it in the driveway before it did any damage. Let's just say "I hope she never misses it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rickosuave1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a few things that are often over looked when wokring on any car. I think the little things, like wearing safety goggles and proper gloves are the biggest. I see guys on tv all the time just start ripping thinga apart without using any safety precautions and a lot of people will think, well, he did it, why cant I? I personally wear safety glasses whenever there is any chance of stuff flying around. i had a friend in HS get a peice of metal in his eye and it messed it up pretty bad. Also, gloves help with a lot of applications, even just rubber gloves when painting and such to keep chemical off your skin.

Another thing I saw on TV was this guy welding with gasless mig and just close his eyes and weld...thats got to be the stupidest thing ive ever seen..and he wasnt wearing gloves either Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: