Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting the Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgalvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Painting the Thing Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just bought my wonderful Thing! Already love it. The orig. color was white, but the orig owner painted it a different color.

Would like to get it back to white. Can anyone recommend how I should go about it and the costs?

There is only one small area on the bumber with rust.

michaelg

[email protected]
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Painting the Thing Reply with quote

mgalvin wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just bought my wonderful Thing! Already love it. The orig. color was white, but the orig owner painted it a different color.

Would like to get it back to white. Can anyone recommend how I should go about it and the costs?

There is only one small area on the bumber with rust.

michaelg

[email protected]

Hi Michael,

That's a very broad question. The sky's the limit on paint jobs. Are we talking One-Day Paint and Auto Body, or a Concours restoration? Just a scuff and spray, or take it down to the metal and start over with acid-etch primer, etc. Even after you have determined what level of finish you want to achieve, the cost can vary widely based on several factors. Body work, rust mitigation (there will be more than you think there is), color choice, etc. How much work are you willing to put in yourself? That will also affect the bottom line. If you are strong in the opposable thumb department, and you can remove the bumpers, switches, seats, plastic trim etc. etc. you will save a lot of cash. Removing/installing that stuff isn't brain surgery, but it does take time.

Then there are the ancillary costs. I can tell you from experience - when you paint a car white, it will make all your rubber trim, your upholstery, and your top look pretty tired. You won't be satisfied unless you replace at least some of that. You'll want to powder coat the bumpers as part of the process. Maybe the wheels too. See how it starts to add up? I'm not trying to discourage you. I just want you to jump in with both eyes open.

Here's something to whet your appetite.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mgalvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, your right. A bit more thinking on my side is needed. Will call around for a few quotes and see what the $ amount will be.

That's a nice Thing... Is it yours?

michaelg
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgalvin wrote:
That's a nice Thing... Is it yours?

Hey - it's only your second post - let's not get so personal! Wink

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. Yep. It's mine. Welcome to the forum.

Spalding
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgalvin: Welcome! You will learn that the Captain's Thing is PERFECT!!! As you can tell from his pics. Also, he is very well informed! Glad to have you join us. Lots of good advice and friendship here. Stay close: someone here has fixed your very issue!!! Very Happy
mgalvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a great forum and loving my Thing. All of my neighbors came over wanting my Thing Smile... Have wanted one since I was five and San Diego is the perfect place for one to drive on weekends.

There is a 3 inch rip in the black top, is there an easy and affordable way of repairing? Top is in great condition besides this issue so not wanting to replace yet.

michaelg
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use coax sealant, available at Radio Shack, comes in a roll much like tape. It stays pliable in all kinds of weather. I use it on mine, once in a while you will have to "knead" it or maybe even add a bit more if you put the top up and down often. Blends in very good and not too noticeable as far as a cheap repair goes.
thealamo1013
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MINE WAS WHITE!

haha back before i had that sucker painted. i loved it in the white, but could not keep it clean while living in my area.

it's now sort of... electric blue.

best of luck, Wink

aly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
jeb cranford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning on painting my "73.

Does anyone have any help tips?

Is it true that the orginal paint did not have a high gloss?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeb cranford wrote:
I am planning on painting my "73.

Does anyone have any help tips?

Is it true that the orginal paint did not have a high gloss?

Are you going to paint the car yourself? What is your ultimate goal for the car? Show car? Daily driver? Somewhere in between?

As to the semigloss paint job, I can't say for sure, but others have made comment that the factory paint was not high gloss. Flattener can be added to any topcoat in various amounts to achieve any effect from a subtle de-gloss to flat flat.

Welcome to the forum.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brochures say "semi-gloss", but don't lose any sleep over it. You can still see plenty of shine in period photographs:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
jeb cranford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:

Are you going to paint the car yourself? What is your ultimate goal for the car? Show car? Daily driver? Somewhere in between?

I am going for a "nice" daily driver or somewhere in between.

I am going to have to paint it myself (unless I hit the lottery). I have painted a Jeep with good results except for the hood which caught a lot of fall out due bad airflow.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove body from pan.
Have body media blasted.
Do the body work
Pait the body in booth--two stage.
Put body back on pan.
It will now be better than new and this type of work is the only one that you can recoop your $$$s on if you ever sell it.

1K for media blast
4K for proffesional paint job, 1K if you do it yourself.
RENT A BOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A booth would be nice. There was a booth for rent near me, but they seem to have moved.
Last time I painted my jeep I did it in the backyard on a windless day. It looked pretty nice for 8 years or so, till a oak tree fell on it in Carmel.
If I paint our Thing I think I will turn my garage into a booth. Cover the ceiling and walls with plastic, vent it out the door with a fan. My compressor is a large 220 80 gallon 2 stage, it will keep up. We will see, so far the paint is ok. I would like to replace a door and maybe the fenders. I can do those off the car in a small space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i paint mine ill be in a friends paint booth.. gotta love hook up's..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surferdudedav wrote:

Dude, you are only 15 minutes away. I am running down to Mr Keg on Beach and Talbert for a keg in the morning. Kind of a surprise, went out for a beer and found I was empty.

If your friend has a paint booth available I have cash,,,,,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
surferdudedav wrote:

Dude, you are only 15 minutes away. I am running down to Mr Keg on Beach and Talbert for a keg in the morning. Kind of a surprise, went out for a beer and found I was empty.

If your friend has a paint booth available I have cash,,,,,

dude.. that would almost werk but.. im in ohio right now Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I wish I had a booth. That's the only part of car restoration I have to pay out for.

Bummer man, totaly bum'd out.
Pittoale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always dreamed of a Line-X or Rhinoliner paint job...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:

If I paint our Thing I think I will turn my garage into a booth. Cover the ceiling and walls with plastic, vent it out the door with a fan. My compressor is a large 220 80 gallon 2 stage, it will keep up. We will see, so far the paint is ok. I would like to replace a door and maybe the fenders. I can do those off the car in a small space.

We shot my dad's Thing in my garage, and it turned out pretty damn good, considering it was a garage paint job. Wink We broke the car down into 2 sections when we painted it. The inside section got hit first, due to there being so much of it to paint (and we had quite a bit of rust to deal with). We shot the front trunk (with the gas tank out) and underside of the trunk lid first, then moved toward the back of the car. The engine compartment got hit next while the engine was out, then we did the inside of the passenger compartment (including the dash). We did all of this on a thursday night, as I wanted the paint to dry before I started running the electrical back where it belonged, and I still had the brake lines to run, so we could tape and paper it off before doing the outside. During the next week, we shot the floor and suspension components. These were papered off, along with the entire inside of the car at the trim line. Very Happy Then it was on to shooting the outside. We took the doors off, and shot them laying on a table (the inside of them was hit the week before, and papered off), along with the fenders, as we felt it would be easier to get to both sides of the fenders this way (along with the lip on the body that the fender sits against), and make it a little easier for the painter. This worked out pretty good, as the inside of the car took about 5 hours to shoot, while the outside took about 3 hours. We shot the car using PPG's DCC series paint (Concept). This is a single stage paint, with the clear built into it. It made it a lot easier for the painter, due to him not having to walk around re-hitting everything for a second time to get the shine up (he's used to base coat clear coat painting), and it dries very quickly (good for a garage paint job). I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: