Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Special thanks to PJMACUA
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Special thanks to PJMACUA Reply with quote

I know this may not be the right place to post this, but I'd like all those that post and read here to know that our friend over the pond, PJMACUA did a great favor for me. He went way out of his way to obtain the military police pole that I needed. This was greatly appretiated, and I hope I get to meet him some day in person and thank him personally.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. That's what makes rare cars and BBS's so cool. Good people sharing.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
Cool. That's what makes rare cars and BBS's so cool. Good people sharing.

What's a BBS? Razz

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBS is what we called forums like this before web browsers existed, back when you had to log on to message boards by firing up your TRS-80 and dropping your phone reciever on your 300 baud modem. I think it stands for Bulletin Board System or Service or something like that. Back in those days, computer guys and VW guys didn't tend to cross paths all that often, so online aircooled resources weren't quite what they are today.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Luni wrote:
Back in those days, computer guys and VW guys didn't tend to cross paths all that often, so online aircooled resources weren't quite what they are today.

LOL. I was a computer guy way before I was a VW guy. In junior high school several of my classmates and I built a Scelbi 8 minicomputer from plans - at the same time my Thing was being built! 1973.

It's almost inconceivable nowadays that the Thing was most probably engineered with only the benefit of a slide rule. Along with the Mercury and Gemini space craft, the Empire State Building, etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember this?
Howzbout this?

Man, I feel old.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're old. Wink

I do remember being a little kid and playing Montazuma's Revenge and Snoopy to the Rescue on the old Apple that my Grandfather gave us though. Orange moniter and everything...

My Dad's office had an electric typewriter that we used to play on, but by the time that I was old enough to have to start typing my papers, typewriters were obsolete. I still have one sitting three feet away from me right now though-

I remember our first laptop too. Some junkass old Toshiba that had white letters on a blue screen. It was another gift from my Grandfather and my luddite parents were scared of it, so we never really figured out what to do with it. I used to just turn it on and "draw" arial traffic patterns like this:

Man, I haven't thought about doing that in years. I remember it being a lot cooler though- I used to sit and do that for hours when it was raining...
Laughing
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luddite....great word.
Haven't heard that since college.
We won't talk about how long ago that was. Wink

Luddite
An individual who is against technological change. Luddite comes from Englishman Ned Lud, who rose up against his employer in the late 1700s. Subsequently, "Luddites" emerged in other companies to protest and even destroy new machinery that would put them out of a job. A neo-Luddite is a Luddite in the Internet age.

1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.
2. One who opposes technical or technological change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Special thanks to PJMACUA Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
... this was greatly appreciated, and I hope I get to meet him some day in person and thank him personally.

Bucko,

You're welcome.
I hope that you will find soon the blue beacon for the pole.

If some of you come in France and want to meet me and drive my Type 181, it is possible.

About 10 days ago, I met a mexican enthusiast here in France (he is a member of the VW Safari club).
We talked about the Type 181/Safari/Thing and we took my car to go in the trails.

http://www.181spirit.com/portail_phpBB/index.php?p...ic_id=1401

http://www.181spirit.com/portail_phpBB/index.php?p...ic_id=1402

http://www.181spirit.com/portail_phpBB/index.php?p...ic_id=1403

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
www.181spirit.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: