Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hey Captain Spalding
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Hey Captain Spalding Reply with quote

Hey Captain,

When will you be eating some more of those magic beans and having another Thing dream? I'm ready for another safari, so let's get those dream juices going again......
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Captain Spalding Reply with quote

That will take some doing. The magic beans are now contraband in my house because of the other . . . um . . . side effects. Wink

But I can share a true life story. We have small children, and it's seldom that we get a date night. Well, last night was one such occasion, and we went out with another couple. We had restaurant plans, and were supposed to pick the other couple up at their house. As it was a warm evening, we took the Thing. When the other couple came out of their house and saw it, their eyes widened. "It's a bit chilly," the lady fibbed, "We'd be happy to drive."

"Nonsense," said I, and we all piled in. On our trip to and from the restaurant the Thing was a frequent topic of conversation. The question was asked, "Of all the cars to restore, why a Thing?"

Forgive me, my brothers, for in spite of the fury that roiled in my belly, I did not then and there eject them onto the sidewalk to make their own way home, as I should have. I confess - I was weak.

I wondered if they would ever warm up to the car, or always be put off by it. By the time we got back to their house, it was clear that they just didn't "get it," and probably never would.

Afterwards, my wife suggested that the next time we go out together, we take a different car.

My reply: "Next time? There will be no next time. Those people are DEAD to me."
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Patmus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just need to face the facts. Some people "get" VW's and VW Things, others are doomed to walk the Earth as souless, Lexus-driving, conformist zombies who simply exsist and then die. Poor, pathetic, creatures really Rolling Eyes It is good in a way. There are only just so many Things around, if it weren't for these types there wouldn't be enough Things for the rest of us! Wink

-Pat
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder what goes on in head of average people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity the fools that cannot see a clean, vintage ride, and enjoy it. How many times does one get a ride in such a car?

In my travels, my job has me on the road about 60% of my time. I rent alot of cars, and never pick the same car model twice, as I'd like to say I've driven just about every model the rental folks offer.

I'd drive a vintage VW (or any car) anytime.

Foolish friends there Captain. Too bad they could not appretiate the finest civilian Thing I've seen yet.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic, but relevant to the thread.

I just got back from an 900 mile sortie to the Barber Track outside Birmingham, AL for a Vintage Motorcycle Swap Meet, AHRMA Vintage motorcycle racing, and an air show featuring two WWII era trainers (P-51 Mustangs).

My mount? A 1983 BMW Motorcycle. Much like our beloved Things, it's a bit dated.

As I sailed through points south, and primarily Atlanta, at 85 mph and more, I passed countless late model SUVs with one or two people in them. Marshmellow shaped Japanese SUV thingies, and occasionally an old pickup on the more rural stretches of Interstate.

I guess my point? Vintage stuff, especially rare, brings us joy that luxurious cruisers and cages will never provide.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to explain to outsiders why I live at 9,000' in a three story geodesic dome, powered by the sun of my own design and 30 years of personal labor. . No way to explain to outsiders why I love the mountains and the beach and own self built homes in both environs. No way to explain the beauty and simplicity of an air cooled Thing. No way to explain to an outsider why I rebuilt a Triumph Tiger and drove route 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago before America disappeared just after High School graduation. Outsiders do not get it and never will, that is what makes them outsiders.. I dreamt I was pushing a Ford Maverick last night ~~ go fugure.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned my Thing for over 10 years now. It was a beater when I got it, and I've slowly brought it back to being the car of my dreams. (If anyone knows how to make the top go up and down with the push of a button, let me know Wink )

Anyway, about a year after I bought it, I happened to be riding a ferry and one of the ferry workers asked, "Why do you drive such an old car?" I was dumbfounded by her question. How could I provide an answer to something so fundamental that I couldn't even comprehend the negative. Of course I love this car - why? I replied "Well, have you ever seen such a car? You can't buy a car like this." Her response made her complete cluelessness abundantly clear - "Well, I rode in a car from the 20s once"

A few years later, my roomate was genuinly inquisitive. He knew I loved the car, and liked riding in it himself. He also knew I put a lot of time and money into it. He aplogized for the question before asking it - "So, what is it about this car that you like so much?" My answer this time was a bit more refined, and I explained to him that it's a car that I can make my own, do what I want with and is pretty rare. I love the no-nonesense ruggedness of it and how it really puts you on the road. About that time, I had several biker friends who happily declared that riding in a Thing (top down, doors off) was the closest one could get to riding on a motorcycle with 4 wheels.

Later, I brought the topic of my car to an English class essay. Doing focused work on the topic was hard - what is it about the car that I like -- exactly? After writing it I realized that it is indeed my ideal car and I'll never get rid of it.
(online here: http://veewiki.com/IanEpperson/Scrappy )

I now live in Silicon Valley, and am surrounded by BMW's and Lexus's (Lexi?). Almost every vehicle is new, shiney, automatic and confined. My car flies in the face of that. I would think that there would be more "clueless" people in this region when it comes to older cars, but suprisingly, everyone seems to "get it".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother hears that all the time. He loves working on air cooled cars. Every girlfriend has asked him "why don't you just buy a new camry?"
He is like the rest of us. He loves to listen to the motor as he drives.

My wife and I love to drive our thing and our old 67 volvo. They are just so basic. They always run strong and they seem alive to us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten the question before, but I've never had a good answer. I know I love driving such a strange vehicle around, but putting it in words is tough. It's quite honestly an ugly, slow, rattley, noisy beast with no luxuries whatsoever. And I love it for that (60 MPH isn't this exciting in any other car!), but when I try to convey it in conversation, I fail.

I guess I should just say "Well, it's different" -- that's about the simplest way I can think to throw the ball back in the other court.

(As I type this, I'm having a mental struggle over a Pinzgauer I saw for sale this weekend. If there's anything that would make a Thing look sort of normal...)

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my business of video production, I drive a Honda Element. Most people consider it UGLY. I guess it's just my nature. But my Things will never get obsolete or depreciate in value as will the Element. Cool
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: