Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blew out a spark plug today
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ogberi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Blew out a spark plug today Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just when I thought my day was super-crappy,

BAM! CHUG CHUG CHUG

The bus blew out #3 plug. So, it looks like I'll be dropping the motor next week and yanking the heads. I learned when I first tried to change the plugs that #1 and #3 have inserts already. Joy.

The bus is a '77, 2.0L FI.

Thankfully, I was able to tuck the plug wire out of the way through the access hatch, unplug the fuel injector and drive the scant 1.5 miles home very gently. Damn that thing is loud with a plug missing. Smile

Next week I'll know more, but I suppose I'm looking at...

Timesert #1 and #3 plugs with their "Big" kit for previously repaired holes.
Finding a pair of used heads
Buying replacement heads (new)

My questions -
Is it easier to drop the engine and tranny together at once? I planned on dropping the tranny anyway (stick shift) to change the shift bushings. Just wondered it it was more or less work to do 'em both at once. I have access to an ATV jack.

*sigh* Woke up with a pinched nerve in my back. Got to work to find that people can't scan documents into the document server. Get chewed out for not running a software update. Run the software update on the "test environment" and it crashes horribly, taking down the production server for an hour. Stop on the way home to buy tune-up parts for my wife's postal jeep ('83 DJ-5M), and the shmuck at Nappy gives me the *WRONG FREAKIN SPARK PLUGS*. Leaving Napa, the bus blows out #3 plug. Get home, realize that I have the wrong spark plugs for the Jeep, and head back to find Napa closed. Go to AutoBone, get correct plugs. Get home and replace cap, rotor, plugs. Realize jeep has squeak that I can't find (body/vibration related) and the ignition switch is going bad.

And best of all? No freakin' beer in the fridge. *sigh* What a day.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 77 did the same thing last year from cracks in the heads. No way could I get the plug repair to hold.

New Raby/HAM heads went in.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whc03grady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropping the drivetrain all at once
Pro: no dancing and wiggling to line up engine and transmission when reinstalling.
Con: CV joints are messy and you're bound to gum up a couple of the bolts.

I'd still do it all at once, personally, but I'm far from an expert and not very well-practiced. Just my two cents.
blankmange wrote:
The Bentley assumes that the car is complete.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Freduardo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '76 threw out the #3 spark plug last year. I was able to tap the spark plug insert but later the head burnt a valve. Found out it was a leak from the exhaust manifold. Replaced the head with a rebuilt.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Go to AutoBone, get correct plugs.

not only do they have the right plugs , but i find they are cheaper there. only good thing i can say about autozone. whereas their igniition wires were more expensive than my local FLAPS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bd1308
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that head is in need of a rebuild. I had a 914 (still do ) that had a 2.0 head blow out plug #1, and it turns out I uncovered a dropped valve seat or three, and one totally gone.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its rare that it was just caused by a previous crossthreading leading to a stripped plug.

ususally its a crack
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sidetrack this thread but when the heads are off, can they be "magnafluxed" at the machine shop to see if there are cracks that maybe you cannot see?

Just curious.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: