Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big spoon window latches
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samba`57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Big spoon window latches Reply with quote

Did the search, didn't get the answers i'm lookin' for..

1. is it possible to replace medium spoon latches by long ones? Will this always work on early splits? ('57)
2. who sells the link pins shown below and the rubber stops?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be fine i have long spoons in place of the small ones on my 67 bus and theres no problems.
As for the pins i cant help sorry
Rusted Relics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

low 54 is right the latches will fit in other areas.

I don't beleive that anyone sells parts for these latches.

Now if you need latches.....you can contact me.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foward cargo door is supposed to get a "medium" spoon, so it won't protrude past the pass. side B pillar (LHD). That said, I see buses all the time with 6 long spoons. To answer your question, '55- '67 buses can use long spoons, with no prob.'s as to mounting. I used 6 medium spoons in my '63, just my preference. As the others have said, I can't help you on a supplier for the pins. P.S., why don't you like the medium spoons? (or were you talking about short spoons w/ the white plastic hourglass handles).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these pins look to be very similar to a roll pin of some type. maybee you could use a roll pin and hammer the ends a little to hold them in. i too would like to find some repo pins of some type to assemble some latches from the broken ones i've been saving.
if you use all large spoons be sure you have both cargo door straps on. i think even with the strap there still might be a clearence issue with the front passanger door hitting your foward cargo door window

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt all of my spoons for my 57 Kombi( 5 large one medium spoon). I used split roll pins from my local hardware. Its a small town store so might have a better selection than some city slicker stores. I was able to get the rubber buffers that came in a set from Car Quest so they are out there. it was $3 for a set of 12 but only 2 in the package actually matched the ones that go with the latches, ie: I had to buy three packages to get enough of the buffers.

Driving the roll pins was a bit tricky. I taped the area around the pin to prevent accidental slips marring the chrome. You will need a small diameter punch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samba`57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
P.S., why don't you like the medium spoons?.

I've got the mediums ones NOS, but i like the long ones more.
Any leads to the rubber stops?
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samba`57 wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
P.S., why don't you like the medium spoons?.

I've got the mediums ones NOS, but i like the long ones more.
Any leads to the rubber stops?
PM Me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this past weekend i tried to install (original) long spoons on my '65, but i cannot get them to latch closed. tried several different windows, with the same problem. the latch wants to pull the tab on the popout toward it, causing the popout frame to flex uncomfortably.
any ideas, or should i pass on the long spoons?
note: it's a '65 standard with 6 popouts.

"And most of all, fuck you!" ~ Capt. Spaulding
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status of the body rubber. I find it hard to latch closed with repro rubber (frame surrounds) on a couple of my big spoon popouts. The ones with OG rubber work fine.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually no rubber at all. the og stuff was so stiff i couldn't get the window to swing open after i freed the hinges, so i pulled the rubber off. no rubber on the lip around the window either.

i'll have to try to take a picture of the binding parts.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need to move the latch mounting some. there is room for some adjustment where they mount. they should work just fine on your 65.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a spacer between the latch and the body?
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only the rearmost side windows have the spacers. the others simply have the threaded plate welded to the body.

i adjusted the screws to the frame to the maximum of their adjustment, and incriments in between, to no avail.

tried the rearmost (with the spacer) first, didn't fit, so i tried the one directly in front of that one, still no go. well, it opens up nicely, but no latching action.

i'll try to take a picture. i cannot come up with any terminology to describe the binding of the latch.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just the one latch that will not close? yor mount on your window may have been tweeked a bit.

Thomas Jefferson
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, i tried the same latch on several windows. the latch closes smoothly by itself, but there is interference in the swing when installed on the bus. with the window closed, the latch sticks straight out inside the bus. if i try to latch it back, the inner hinge (closest to body) touches the outer hinge (next to window) resulting in an overlap.

after i noticed the problem on the drivers side rear window, i replaced the long latch with the short latch originally on the window. it latches just fine.

ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to bump this thread as I'm having the same troubles.

Bus, 65 21 window. All the windows open and close fine with no latches, close and open fine with the small stock latches, but it's a bitch trying to close them with large spoons.

The spoons themselves all work fine while off the bus, but it just doesn't seem like they want to latch while on the bus. We got one latch to close while on the popout, but it didn't feel like it really wanted to..

I've seen later model buses with large spoons on them, is there something we didn't do? Or are we just idiots and are missing something really simple...?

Thanks..

**edit**

Well, after toying with it a bit, we bent the mount on the window frame in a bit, and now the window seems to work fine..I don't know if this is the right way to fix it, but it worked for us.. just fwiw.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just small spoon buses that have that problem. I fit a long spoon latch on my 61 that came with medium spoons and could not get the long spoon to latch. It felt like I was going to break something if I tried to force it closed. I tried several adjustments and nothing made any appreciable difference.
It didn't really mean that much to me anyways, so I put the medium spoon back on and it works perfectly.
Just strange that some buses reject long spoons.
KOMBI NIKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of long spoons now i want them, anyone sell them?
repop or 2ndh?

https://www.facebook.com/Demopgarage/

https://www.youtube.com/@DEMOPGARAGE/featured
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOMBI NIKO wrote:
All this talk of long spoons now i want them, anyone sell them?
repop or 2ndh?

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-221-847-081-C

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: