Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting my Thing after sitting a year - It Started!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Starting my Thing after sitting a year - It Started! Reply with quote

My Thing has sat in my garage for a year or so. I should have been good about starting it every so often but had boxes and all sorts of stuff around it and never did. I decided to move all the crap out of the way today and see if she would start. I do have a 1/2 tank of gas. The fuel filter (yes in the engine bay but will remove on day and stick outside the engine compartment) is bone dry. I had though the fuel pump would kick in and fill it after a few attempts to start but no luck. No fuel in the clear filter that goes between the fuel pump and carb.

Not sure if the fuel pump is having an issue or what I should check. The engine does turn over and plenty of oil as I did an oil change before I parked her for a year.

So, do I need to remove the filter and try to start without the filter on and put the end of the hose in a bottle until I see gas come from it and then re-connect and see what happens or???

Thanks

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com

Last edited by amishman on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the air intake off the carburator and pour in a little gas. After starting, the fuel pump should take over with no problem. Very Happy
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Bob wrote:
Pull the air intake off the carburator and pour in a little gas. After starting, the fuel pump should take over with no problem. Very Happy

Are you talking about the rubber sleeve that goes over the top of the carb and then goes over to the air cleaner?

Do I just pop that off and poor some gas in the hole? How much gas and any certain spot to pour it in?

I do not want to blow things up here. hehehe Laughing

tj

Come visit my web site!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A soda bottle capful should be enough to get her going. You need to loosen the screw on the band clamp slightly to take the rubber air cleaner elbow off of the carb.

Always be cautious when working with gasoline. It can be nasty if spark meets fumes.

Mark
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie61 wrote:
A soda bottle capful should be enough to get her going. You need to loosen the screw on the band clamp slightly to take the rubber air cleaner elbow off of the carb.

Always be cautious when working with gasoline. It can be nasty if spark meets fumes.

Mark

After I pout the capfull of gas in the carb, do I put the rubber air cleaner elbow back on before starting the Thing up or leave it off until engine is running and after it has ran for a bit, stick it back on once I turned the engine off?

tj

Come visit my web site!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use starter fluid. A quick spray at the filter.
A thimble full of gas will work if you are paying attention.

In either case, get it running. Deal with the air cleaners and elbows after it has ran.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK all. Thanks for the tips. She started. Three capfulls if gas in the carb, one at a time, and the last one she started and continued to run. So, she started! Yeah!

Thanks again,

tj

Come visit my web site!
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tj,
Over in your other thread you just stated something I think gives me a clue about your non starting issue:
Quote:
I have the Thing lifted on jacks in the rear waiting to finish brake job I started last year

From my experience the tank works essentially on gravity.
The fuel pump really only has to lift fuel from itself to the carb body.
When the car wheels are on the ground, fuel will flow freely from the metal line coming around the left side of the shroud if it's unhooked.
Test it out sometime.
With the rear jacked up in the air, I would say the level in the rear of the car was higher than the tank, and since the tank is vented, fuel backflowed towards the front of the vehicle and eventually air was introduced into the fuel line probably from the carb venting.

No science here, just speculation on my part.

Last edited by ztnoo on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
tj,
Over in your other thread you just stated something I think gives me a clue about your non starting issue:
Quote:
I have the Thing lifted on jacks in the rear waiting to finish brake job I started last year

From my experience the tank works essentially on gravity.
The fuel pump really only has to lift fuel from itself to the carb body.
When the car wheels are on the ground, fuel will flow freely from the metal line coming around the left side of the shroud if it's unhooked.
Test it out sometime.
With the rear jacked up on the air, I would say the level in the rear of the car was higher than the tank, and since the tank is vented, fuel backflowed towards the front of the vehicle and eventually air was introduced into the fuel line probably from the carb venting.

No science here, just speculation on my part.

So the moral is if you ever get the famous VW engine fire where by gravity, gas just keeps pouring on the hot engine, we should build a hydraulic system at the rear tires, like a low-rider can do, and quickly switch the switch so the rear goes like 2 feet up, and then you run to the back and spray the fire retardent on it. That way less gas gets poured all over the engine. hehehehehe

tj

Come visit my web site!
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Or run the front end into a ditch. Then you've got water at hand, too!
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: