Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Green Light up Cigar Lighter Surround?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Green Light up Cigar Lighter Surround? Reply with quote

Just wondering if this lights up? I had my dash off receintly and noticed there is no bulb going to mine. Is this normal? I know there is a socket in the recepticle.

Also where can I source the little bulbs that go in the HVAC Controls. Local auto parts store only has bigger ones...
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is green at night....dunno about sourcing........

good luck
dkumar1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try NAPA auto parts for a North American green-lighted cigarette lighter socket. Vanagons came originally with European cigarette lighter sockets, which do not hold your 12 volt accessories very well at all.

It's a little tricky to pull the old socket. If you want to try, here's a link to instructions and PICS!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151026
Turambar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '94 Ford Aerostar has the green lighted ring around the cig. lighter, I assume you could use one of those in a pinch.

T
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told (and have yet to try) the Eurovan one which is supposed to be black inside and work (look) better. Hope you find my pics of use in the other thread.

-Walt

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Dash bulbs Reply with quote

The bulbs for the HVAC controls can be had at GoWesty. There are two varieties and two brighnesses, I believe- black base and white base.

Someone (though I can't remember where) had a nice article on the kinds of bulbs and where they are used, but for the most part, you want the black or white ones from GoWesty.com

Ed in CT
cheekoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine lit up fine when it was hooked up. Just unhooked it today and did this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheekoman,

That rocks! Did you buy that or make it? Tell us all about it!

-W

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
cheekoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was easy cheesy..... Just posted a reply here.
The cigarette lighter thing was a snap.
I simply boght the 3plug extension thing at walmart. I then unplugged the harness from the back of the lighter. That allowed me to work the lighter free. I then removed the plastic heater vents below dash. I worked harness down through the dash until i could see it. Then, I put the plug that came with the 3outlet thing through the hole for the lighter. I simply hooked up the harness to the old lighter, plug the new one in and electrical taped it. I screwed the 3outlet thingy into the dash with sheetmetal screws. Easy cheesy. Took me about 10min.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: HELP! Reply with quote

So I am replacing the stock lighter with the GoWesty aftermarkt one. I got everything wired up, except the small brown wire (there are 2 brown wires) came disconnected from wherever it goes as I was stripping it. Does anyone know where it goes? I pulled the radio out, but still can't see where it goes.

Thanks,
URQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
So I am replacing the stock lighter with the GoWesty aftermarkt one. I got everything wired up, except the small brown wire (there are 2 brown wires) came disconnected from wherever it goes as I was stripping it. Does anyone know where it goes? I pulled the radio out, but still can't see where it goes.

Thanks,
Brown is usually your ground
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:

Thanks,

Don't double post!!!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203697

Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Sorry About that Reply with quote

Sad
missionalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Socket Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Cheekoman,

That rocks! Did you buy that or make it? Tell us all about it!

-W

I got the one with the three sockets in it at Pep Boys. I think it is made by Bell. What I did it cut the original socket from the bus and the socket off the new three pronged socket. I then spliced them together.

Works great! Thanks for the idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: