Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water tank and winter camping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Water tank and winter camping Reply with quote

So, for you guys with Propex heaters, and anyone who does some winter camping, can I still use my water tank, even if I am going to be away from the Westy for hours skiing? I think it will not freeze while driving, and when parked with the Propex heater going it should be fine, but a few hours away from the Westy may cause some ice to form. Any horror stories out there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no clue as to the answer to this, but am also interested in this for those days of kicking it at the 'basin. ....one idea i had was to put a bladder in the fridge, maybe with a warm nalgene bottle that has boiling water in it... seems like that would keep above freezing for quite some time.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drain the water tank, refill with RV anitfreeze and carry some bottled water. You really do not want that water tank to split from freezing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the antifreeze necessary? Presumably if it's empty, it should be fine. Or is it impossible (or inadvisable) to pump all the lines dry, and therefore necessary to pump some antifreeze into them?
Dellaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the system completely dry, hoses and all. Just draining the tank or running the pump dry won't do it. If there are any water droplets left, they can freeze and ruin the water pump, as well as the faucet.

I would break down and buy the RV anti-freeze.

I did.

Cheers,

Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: