Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

OK... there's simply too many posts complaining about overpriced cars/parts here. There's a long running topic in the Split Bus forum and we're going to do it here.

Lind wrote:
it seems like every other bus that gets listed for sale has someone whining about it, so lets just post all that crap in one topic rather that making a new topic for every one.

Post your stuff here and if you start another topic, I'll delete it.

It's that simple.

OK... whine away.

This topic can also be used for discussion about any car for sale in combination with whining about the price or pricing of cars or parts in general.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I personally can't whine about the prices for parts...there cheap compaired to the "honda" parts I was into back in the day for my civic.For example we can get a nice cam for a few $100 or less but 4 a honda try a grand or two. Shocked so you can just imagine the prices for more serious upgrade like heads.And for this is one of the many reasons I came over to the aircooled side Twisted Evil
bugnrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: No whine here Reply with quote

Compared to prices of import car tuning I'm glad I kept my beetle. I even gave up my Scirocco to have more time and money for the beetle. And a the lower cost of parts for it (compared to my water cooled VW) I'm lovin' it. Of course there is always those guys that try to sell thier bugs for way more than they will ever get. Some just have to learn the hard way.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I agree completely with what is said above. I think it will all change in the next 10 years or so... but for now most parts are available at reasonable prices.

A few things that are NOT easy to find though-
1) Super Beetle spindles. I am not aware of anyone still making them.
2) Super Beetle upper strut bearings. These are still available, but quality control has been so poor that many sources only sell used originals.
3) Shock absorbing bumper mounts. Again, not being made so only used parts are available.
4) Good quality dash pads, especially for the 1303 Supers.
5) Tail light backing plates (for the "elephant foot" lights). I couldn't find a source last time I looked.
6) Super Beetle front control arms. Only used available.
7) Super Beetle steering idler arm bushings. Stock of the stock rubber units has been up and down the last year or so - the early units were unavailable for a while.

The used market is great right now- but it is very unpredictable. What is available today might not be tomorrow. You might be able to find something, but only in poor condition. In many cases, you have to buy whole assemblies to get small parts that you need, and sometimes that just isn't practical.

Ok, I'm done. Very Happy

- David
etymike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single one of the parts you're looking for is available here:

http://www.cip1.com/

Sometimes, it's hard to find stuff on the site, so order one of their print catalogs. Also, get on the mailing list because they send out a lot of coupons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etymike wrote:
Every single one of the parts you're looking for is available here:

http://www.cip1.com/

Sometimes, it's hard to find stuff on the site, so order one of their print catalogs. Also, get on the mailing list because they send out a lot of coupons.

I don't believe you. Prove me wrong. Very Happy

Find a Super Beetle spindle.. or a shock absorbing bumper mount... or a tail light backing plate. If CIP had stocked these, I certainly wouldn't have posted about 'em. Wink

- David
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:
Find a Super Beetle spindle.. or a shock absorbing bumper mount... or a tail light backing plate. If CIP had stocked these, I certainly wouldn't have posted about 'em. Wink

- David

Very true. Many late model parts are no being reproed or have been superceeded.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:
or a shock absorbing bumper mount...David

As I said in another post somewhere, those have been discontinued ( no longer made ) since about 1984-85, You wont find them new unless there NOS sitting on a shelf somewhere, Standards or Supers. BFY used to carry good used ones a few years ago, but you're best bet is a boneyard that strips the cars for parts and has them on a shelf, out of the weather. Maybe a swap-meet. I didnt see any at Bug Jam though. Sometimes, you'll see good ones right here on The Samba.

My main bitch is that I own a 74 std. Hard to find parts for. Love the car, I had it forever, but the one-year-only stuff is a hassle, plus having to dip into 1973 or 1975 to find a suitable match for the original parts. Boo.
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelwa2 wrote:
My main bitch is that I own a 74 std. Hard to find parts for. Love the car, I had it forever, but the one-year-only stuff is a hassle, plus having to dip into 1973 or 1975 to find a suitable match for the original parts. Boo.

Tell me about it. The 74 has more one year only parts than a 67.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelwa2 wrote:
WD-40 wrote:
or a shock absorbing bumper mount...David

As I said in another post somewhere, those have been discontinued ( no longer made ) since about 1984-85, You wont find them new unless there NOS sitting on a shelf somewhere, Standards or Supers.

Exactly. That's why I put them on my list in my first post in the thread. Wink

- David
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that's wrong on many levels.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=384658
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn - Did you mean that for this thread?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149769

'cuz if the parts that went into that are no longer available, that is A-OK with me!! Shocked

- David
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Here's one that's wrong on many levels.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=384658

Oh my....
plopswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some volvo parts prices. How about $10 for a dash light for a 240!?!
etymike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't believe you. Prove me wrong.
Find a Super Beetle spindle.. or a shock absorbing bumper mount... or a tail light backing plate. If CIP had stocked these, I certainly wouldn't have posted about 'em.

Are you still looking for this stuff? I bought my Super spindles from CIP1 (in the catalog; not on-line), and you can find the tail light backing plate here:http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=133-945-09. Just buy the whole assembly; you wouldn't save any money by buying the backing plate anyway...

As I said in my original post, there are a lot of parts in the PRINTED catalog that you can't find on line. Don't give up just because you can't find it from your computer chair! Wink

If you're still stuck, BFY has a lot of the discontinued parts as well.

Good luck!!! Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
notwise
der Anfänger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orange 'split' abomination of a couple posts ago is not a real split -- The split window has been welded in.

Why?

1. Look at the air louvers in the back -- real splits have a longer back and shorter decklid.

2. Look at the size of the windows -- a splits windows (front and sides) are much smaller.

This is a much more recent beetle with many stupid mods.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notwise wrote:
The orange 'split' abomination of a couple posts ago is not a real split -- The split window has been welded in.

There were some aftermarket fiberglass companies a few years back offering repop f/glass split windows, to encourage this sort of stuff to happen. I cant see how anyone would use a real split window on a late model, even if it's to acheive a "look", although, it's been known to happen from time to time.

I cant remember the company names, though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greg6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject of hard to find parts, I have a 77 standard Beetle. The fresh air fan box looks close to a 71-72 super unit except the drain part is different, the drain elbow only fits 76 & 77. The bumper shocks are 74 and up, FI parts are 75 & up. Speedo has mph and km/h and is a 77 standard beetle only unit. seats are 77 & up. Rear apron is 75 & up, Steering wheel is 74 & up. It has a light under the dash to light up the heater levers, 76 or so & up. Gas tank is an FI standard Beetle only unit. Front fenders are 74-77 standard Beetle. Speedo cable is a 2 piece deal with egr box, 75 & up. Plastic headlight rings, 75 or so & up.

But I still love my 77 Standard Beetle, a rare car. I've had it 9 1/2 years, and plan to have it many more years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i dont think we can really complain. there are plenty of bug parts around, they just need to be found, and if there is enough demand, usually someone starts repopping them.

now t3's. whole nother story. you just cant buy basic things becuase there arent even any NOS sets floating around, and even if someone happens to be cutting up a car for the parts, they usually cost an arm and a leg. like fastback popout seals. or window scrapers that fit, or replacement pan sections. god forbid you should need a pan half. Evil or Very Mad
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
personally i dont think we can really complain. there are plenty of bug parts around, they just need to be found, and if there is enough demand, usually someone starts repopping them.

Well, the title says "Official Whine". If you've read any of the "whining" going on, the parts in question are original VW and truly hard to find. We all understand about T-3 and other ACVW parts being difficult to find, but this is the bug late model forum. This thread could be applied to all makes of ACVW. The aftermarket has been and continues to be a great source for our beloved ACVW's ( all models, not just T-1's ) for replacement parts, but,,,, the hard to find parts are not "repopped". Discontinued VW OG parts only, which continue to elude many of us, who, must have the original part, when only the original will do. Many of the "repopped" items are of cheap quality, not worth buying or installing. We're left with ACVW get togethers, Car meets and shows, internet searching, eBay, salvage yards, and probably some sources I forget to mention.

I think it's a valid post/thread. Post your "bitch" here about your hard to find part or expensive part, and maybe someone can point you to a better "find" where you havent looked yet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 91

Jump to: