Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: 92K documented spent on restoration Reply with quote

Quick question guys, how many would be disappointed spending 92K and NOT winning a car show of 538 cars?
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 92K documented spent on restoration Reply with quote

JTRacing wrote:
Quick question guys, how many would be disappointed spending 92K and NOT winning a car show of 538 cars?

Forget about that. Would you be willing to actually tell people that you spent $92,000 on THAT beetle? Would you ever tell anyone you spent $92,000 to rebuild any other Beetle than a split window? I sure wouldn't. I'd be too embarrassed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5158726996.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't face palm hard enough. 57,000 original miles??!!! Shocked Really? Even if that were true, that car has been through some rough miles to look like that.
Let's assume that the paint is the worst part, and the engine bay just needs a good refreshing. Assuming that NOTHING else is wrong with this car and it ONLY needs paint, it is still not worth $6,000.
Unlikely that a paint job is all it needs.

I want to email this person and start a dialogue about realistic used car prices and market demands for 1970 beetles in the pacific NW. But that would make me a petty jerk, so I won't. But, damn, it still makes me wonder..... what are some people thinking? Where does that price come from? Any research done before posting your car for sale?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NYPATER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! What? Are those the award winning trophies on the trunk? I've got a '69 vert that i must have over 10K into and am still spending knowing full well I'll never see it back. Id be embarrassed to ask $6K for mine. Oh well, some people have hutzpa.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/moncton/fully-...nFlag=true

1973 Super Beetle.

Date Listed 21-Sep-15
Price
$24,000.00

Fully restored in August 2015 I bought the car from the original owner in 2013. It comes with original factory window price sticker and owners manual. I also have a copy of the original ownership.The car is from Lake Havasu City Arizona. Many original parts go with the car. The motor and transmission are original and never been rebuilt. This is a real head turning collector car. $24,000 or best offer.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the plethora of ignorant buyers with more disposable income than sense, this Super 'Beattle' might actually sell for something close to the asking price. You just gotta find that one person who doesn't bother to do any research before they start pulling out stacks of hundreds. Just a matter of time and advertising before the fool shows up to be parted with his money.
Just imagine this lucky buyer showing off his shiny 73 at an aircooled show and telling admirers how much he paid for it.
Oh well. There's an ass for every seat, right?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
You just gotta find that one person who doesn't bother to do any research before they start pulling out stacks of hundreds.

I doubt this is going to happen in the time of the internet...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
awreed wrote:
You just gotta find that one person who doesn't bother to do any research before they start pulling out stacks of hundreds.

I doubt this is going to happen in the time of the internet...

You would think, but look at the Barrett Jackson auctions. Despite the fact that these are auctions, there is no excuse for paying twice the price of a car you could find for sale online, and this does happen frequently.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/volkswagen-bus-fetches-217800-barrett-jackson-auction
How much does it really cost to buy a crusty old samba and have it perfectly restored? $217,800?

As far as overpriced cars being sold online, who knows? We don't and can't know how much someone overpaid for any particular car advertised on CL or thesamba, etc. But with so many cars listed at any given time I would bet even money that someone is going to significantly overpay for a car that just isn't that hard to find.
e-square12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5208097009.html

Question Question Question
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-square12 wrote:

Uh, nah. Way too many unknowns for $4k. A 20-year-old untouched and abandoned project that someone is just now trying to unload.... I'd offer like $1k or just walk away. Might be a great project, but who knows if all the parts are even there.
e-square12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
e-square12 wrote:

Uh, nah. Way too many unknowns for $4k. A 20-year-old untouched and abandoned project that someone is just now trying to unload.... I'd offer like $1k or just walk away. Might be a great project, but who knows if all the parts are even there.

I am always browsing the local CL sites to see what is out there. Funny thing is that in this area all the so called "project cars" are on the $2000-$3000 range with mismatched parts and sometimes even missing the engine or trans.

Just wanted to point out how overpriced some of these cars are here in MI. It's a shame Rolling Eyes
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-square12 wrote:
awreed wrote:
e-square12 wrote:

I am always browsing the local CL sites to see what is out there. Funny thing is that in this area all the so called "project cars" are on the $2000-$3000 range with mismatched parts and sometimes even missing the engine or trans.

Just wanted to point out how overpriced some of these cars are here in MI. It's a shame Rolling Eyes

That's how it seems to be here in NJ too. All of the cars I found when I was looking for mine were in the $3000 range and they wouldnt run. I found a sunroof bug with a stuck engine and no floor left (or running board or rear fender) due to rust for $1500!
obesepolice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1837882

sure its totally worth that.

oh and check this one out.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5183688812.html
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: today Reply with quote

I restored this to stock. It took 4yrs and more than 10thousand and at least 600-7oo hrs. 20 1st and 2nd place trophy's in the last 4 yrs, and I have no idea what it is worth.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jeff
StephenDerek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1843048

does it have gold in it????
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awhile back I posted my sun bug for sale, asking a decent price. It seems that no matter what you do to the car--or how much money you spend on German, or good-quality aftermarket parts--people just want you to take a huge hit.

It's too bad, really, but the VW community just seems to be very tight-fisted when it comes to spending money.

I have since decided not to sell my car, anyway.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as late models remain cheap due to "enthusiast" snobbery, so will the owners.

This is NOT unique to the VW scene.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Awhile back I posted my sun bug for sale, asking a decent price. It seems that no matter what you do to the car--or how much money you spend on German, or good-quality aftermarket parts--people just want you to take a huge hit.

It's too bad, really, but the VW community just seems to be very tight-fisted when it comes to spending money.

I have since decided not to sell my car, anyway.

Tim

I think this right here is why you see the high prices. People just want a deal. I have been seeing this lately with some other junk like rare shoes and collectibles I have been selling for a while now. I posted some hard to find Air Jordans at a real nice price, all the bites I got were for $50-100 lower then I wanted. I pulled the ad, waited a few weeks then posted it again for $75 over what I wanted for them initially and within the first couple of bites I got my original asking price. Swear to jebus man, people just want to feel like they are getting one over on you. I think my bug, as it sits right now, daily driver with a turnkey rebuilt engine using nothing but German and OEM parts, running, driving, and stopping, I would take about $3k for it and call that fair. If I want to actually GET that $3k I would list it for $6k and see what comes of it. One of the tire kickers would think he's getting a "deal" and we both walk away happy.
I, however, have no intention of selling my car, having spent an embarrassing amount of money on it up to this point. It better be the last car I ever buy if I am to get my money's worth out of it! Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Saylr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Headlight buckets Reply with quote

Not even sure if buckets is proper terminology,but the half round bowl the headlight and bracket sits in. Can they be replaced? Mine are rusted out on my 78 super,and I mean like the middle third are gone.
This is a budget bug driver with no plans for show car,so since i'very got a little fiberglass experience from boatwork,i'my seriously considering glassing over them and calling it good enough. I'don't rather swap out the bowls but can't find them online.Any suggestions?

Edit: think I posted in wrong thread.
StephenDerek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: BN2 Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1852948

If anyone else is interested I have 3 BN2 heaters and Ill sacrifice them for $500........................maybe mine arent made with gold tho.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 91

Jump to: